Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Question about dbTextureBackdrop()

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 23:21
Now I realize this command is outdated, and is only still in the GDK/Documentation as a reference. So I'm not asking why it doesn't work. I realize that obviously skyboxes would be a much better alternative, but here's the thing. What I'm trying to do doesn't need a skybox.

I'm working on integrating a console into my current project (ala Quake, Half-Life, etc.), and what I've got so far is similar to a code snippet I found here on the forum's involving using a second camera and moving that camera's view onto the the screen, and moving it off when hte console is closed, that I've adapted to C++ and the GDK. When I noticed dbTextureBackdrop as I was looking through the documentation, I figured that would solve the problem, since I could set the background to the console's camera only. Of course as soon as I did some reading on it, I realized it's outdated. I don't need an entire skybox for just that one camera, so I guess I can go back to my original idea of creating and texturing a box that I place out in the middle of nowhere in 3d space and point the console cam at it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that might be a bit simpler, or even a better way to do the console if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
cypher0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 05:58 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 05:59
Paste an image as the background.
Draw the console text to another image and paste that to the screen (with black = transparent) or the screen (sloppier and slower)

Or, if you really want it 3D, use a plane and face it towards the camera.
Guldan the Warlock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 19:35
Quote: "
use a plane and face it towards the camera
"

Yeah, that was my original idea. I'll just have to experiment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:05:58
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:05:58