Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Thoughts on game design

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 20:52 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2007 23:50
This is just a little chat regarding why games are built the way they are -- according to the little guy from the flatlands.

I always wondered why all the pro games whether they be on the PC or a gamebox uses levels. Now that I've started dev work on games, it appears to have always been a technical (resource) problem which was turned into a positive solution. One could not create a huge playing area without sacrificing resources and speed. Therefore the solution was to break it up into many smaller segments or what has become known as levels. Also, if you notice, the earlier games were not not as complex and were limited in the amount of "entities" within each level as compared to the more current games. However, the game devs of commercial games will take it to the max without breaking open the envelope.

My conclusion is to just not put FPSC over the max. Be content with what it can do. Have many levels of varying degrees and complexity (what you don't have in one level then have in another). I've seen this said somewhere else. If the game has a good story-line and keeps the individuals interest level up, then what one would think of as being too simplistic doesn't matter at all.

Just some chat fodder and, of course, these are my own thoughts and conclusions.

As opposed to Highlander.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 21:42
I really like how the call for duty was done and the game design.
Number two I had some problems running on my computer but one ran fine.
The part where they are going to land from the small boats and the guy giving the speech and planes flying over was just to real.
Made the game feel real and fun to play.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:18:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:18:39