Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK Capabilities - Potential Customer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

First of all, I was able to download the demos but not a trial version or similar. This was a little disappointing because I have very little idea of what the code looks like. After searching the forums I was able to find some snippets of DarkGDK code so I have a vague idea of what to expect.

I'm interested in buying DarkGDK for an upcoming gaming project but I have a few questions about the capabilities of it. Anyone who owns the DarkGDK (or TGC themselves) can freely answer these questions to the best of their ability. Your help is appreciated.

Can the following be done in DarkGDK in it's current state?

- Soft-shadowing
- Realtime dynamic lighting (with shadows)
- Volumetric shadows
- Integration with Newton (saw lots about this on the forums but not specifically for DarkGDK)
- Post-screen shader effects (again, saw for DB but not GDK)
- PVS (Potential Visibility Set (PVS)/Nodetree Optimisation is listed on the product page. What kind of PVS and what would you define as being Nodetree Optimisation?)
- Keyframe/Tweening Animation support (I saw bone-based listed)
- Octrees

I'm looking to build a fairly simple 3rd person "tank" type game which makes heavy use of shaders. Is this something that can be done fairly easily in DarkGDK?

Are there limitations on the quality of the graphics (AA, filtering, etc.), is there access to set these more detailed parameters, or is their functionality built into the GDK to control these settings.

It seems that most of the games I've seen produced with DB/DarkGDK look good, but not near the quality of an AA/AAA title. I understand this is primarily due to the availability and experience of artists but I'd like to be reassured that it is not due to a limitation of the DarkGDK. If someone has some links to graphically impressive games (ones with lots of shaders) made with DB/DarkGDK I'd appreciate that greatly.

Thanks in advance.

--
tparkin
cypher0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 05:46 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 05:47
The main problem with DGDK is that command help, well, isn't there, so a lot of us are left in the dark as to it's capabilities, this apparently should be fixed soon however.

Owning the .NET version of the product I can say that even so it was well worth the money, simply due to the speed of development it allows, taking over simple, boring tasks for you whilst allowing a high level of control over your creations, should you wish to modify something.

To the best of my knowledge:

Soft-shadowing
Volumetric shadows

No idea

Realtime dynamic lighting (with shadows)
I think this is possible, 3D card depending

Integration with Newton
It's not inbuilt but you have (any physics) engine seperatly there's no reason why you couldn't bind the two together yourself, ODE however is supported and provided.

Shader effects
Shaders are supported and work, 3D card dependant

Post-screen
PVS
Octrees

I've no idea what these are

Keyframe/Tweening Animation support (I saw bone-based listed)
For 3D models Quake I-->III model support is present, and you can do your own bone-based animations.

DGDK does everything the basic DBP package does, but doesn't work with the plugins. You can of course integrate it with the far wider plugin library of .NET and C++.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:19:11
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:19:11