Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Demo & Source Code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:16
I am currently working on a demonstration RPG game for anyone who wants it, showing how all the RPG basics can be done, like the battle system, the stats and experience system, etc. I will release the source code and will be glad to help anyone if they dont understand any part of it.

Any suggestions, about what to include in it etc. are welcome.

Cheers,
Kentaree
Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:17 Edited at: 15th May 2003 00:26
oh my goodness .. i'm stunned dude ..

Well, judging from the quality of ur past work, i guess it would be one great stuff (wish there's a kudo button here!)

I guess one thing that i think is important that should be included in the Zip file of this demo is the tutorial itself, from start until finish. That will certainly help immensly to all newbies & midbies, and then u can start having a fanclub

oh yes, make the old guy who's selling weapons at the Armory Shop, name as "Solidz"! LOL!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

CompuWiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh oh! If there's a computer or armor store, make the owners name CompuWiz!

The only way to prevent all lag in a game is not to make the game.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:45
lol, competitors for the owners name: Solidz Snake and CompuWiz. How about a sword battle to suit the style to decide who wins

@Solidz: Good idea about the tutorial, will do! *To himself:woohoo, I'll get my own fanclub *

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:52
If there are 2 Kangaroos, call the second one "Kangaroo2"

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 02:27 Edited at: 15th May 2003 02:27
A duel sword battle? haha, i'll win of course, fair & square (hiding my SOCOM gun in my jacket)

heck, he can have the computer shop, he is of course the CompuWiz!
me, i'm just selling weapons (legally!)

oh yea, gimme both Kangaroos.. 2 pockets are better than one a'ight?

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 12:49
cool. This will help me with my game alot!

Quote from my brother:
Quote: " Patience is a virtue... I know that but how does that help me? "

http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 19:57
@Kangaroo2: Nice idea for a boss, the boxing kangaroo duo Actually, no, that'd get my problems with the ISPCA

@Solidz: Yep, any help is appreciated, I just want to make this work for everyone.

@Koong (damn there are a lot of @'s today): That's what its for. I hope it will be of great help.

RisTar
Years of Service
User Offline
ur rpg is 2d or 3d

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 22:11
3D, but it wont be different to port it between the 2, and the battle system basics etc are about the same.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 04:06
I would assume you basically just have to re-write the graphics portion, the data handling portion would stay pretty much the same right?

Anyway sounds cool, but if you were REALLY enterprising you could make the whole thing into one huge tutorial, DBS would pay loads for that

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 14:19
The way I actually hope to do it, is have the source code and the executable included, but also a tutorial explaining in detail why I did what, and how you could alter it for your own needs. Of course the source code is also going to be commented, but not so detailed there'd be a whole lot of rem statements ^_^.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated on it.

Cheers,
Kentaree

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 18:03
Progress is slow currently, as I have my exams in about one and a half week . I've got a bit more info though, instead of just having multiple sequences showing the workings of an rpg, I'm going to wrap it in a very basic storyline to get that RPG feel. While I'm going to make it a turn-based RPG (like Pokemon), I might consider some other types of battle system like Real-time (Secret of Mana) or timer-turn-based (Chrono Trigger). If you'd like to see any other styles or have some ideas, you can always post them in this thread and they will be looked at.
Just a quick thanks to Raven Vegeta who agreed to make some models for this game.

Cheers,
Kentaree

Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
ahem an Evil Noodle would be an interesting foe

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 19:58
lol, maybe his special attack: "Revenge" where he eats the player and then spits 'em out

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 23:16
OK, I've been a little inactive on this project lately due to my exams, and my short period of resting after my exams , but now I'm back on the case. Sadly though, my 2D skills are pathetic so if anyone would like to help me do menu's, textboxes etc. please e-mail me or contact me on msn or yahoo.

Cheers,
Kentaree

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
If you need help contact me, here, through e-mail, but not through YIM! because I'm never on there.

I'm making my own 2D game, and I can lend you some of my code.

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 23:53
@Morph: Thanks mate, I'll e-mail you soon

@Everyone: Screenshots (early ones, so dont hold your breath for groundbreaking graphics ) are on the way, just a few more things to do.

Cheers,
Kentaree

zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 13:25
anyone know where i can get this..

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 05:16
excellent cant wait to see what you have done
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 05:16
btw Pro or Classic?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 14:02
it would be nice if you could somehow explain the basics of NPC interaction, basic trigger events and things like that

ie - talking to an npc, given a choice of at least two replys, something different happens depending on what you choose. Finding a locked door, not being able to open it until you have found the key item (oh, love the double pun). and perhaps getting attacked when stepping into a certain area (trigger) - i think these things would have people new the genre pretty stumped first time around ^^

My way would be to write a mini script engine accessiable through a level editor to setup triggers and things.. but i dont expect you to go that deep XD (would be nice though! )

p4 2.4ghz, 256ddr ram, Geforce4 MX 440
Innovate, redefine, recreate whats in your mind. It isnt fate, you decide, only you can cross that line.
vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 22:13
" talking to an npc, given a choice of at least two replys, something different happens depending on what you choose"

Isn't that just variables with if else and then etc.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 23:09
@zao420: It hasnt been released yet, I've been working on it, but also on another few projects so its not coming along at an incredibly fast rate yet, however, I hope to speed things up soon and the first few screenshots should be appearing very soon now.

@falelorn: Its being done in DBPro, but I'm going to clearly label the DBPro only parts, and give suggestions how it might be done in DB Classic.

@sephnroth & vivi: I'm going to do the npc's using a simple script language stored in a file, so it'll be easily editable. An example would be 'if USER holds GEM say "Would you give that to me?"' This is to make it far easier to make multiple NPC's and probably a lot more intuitive aswell. Otherwise you'd have to use arrays and values like, if useritem(1)=30 then textbox("Would you give that to me?").
Of course it will be well explained. When I post up my first screenshot I might try to recruit some ppl to help me with this for stuff like media. Also, I'll probably post up the storyline soon.

Cheers,
Kentaree

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 01:42
Good DBPro is what I have, and we seem to have more DBC then DBpro examples out there. I know Classic has been out longer.

I wish there was more tutorials on the Pro site.
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 06:34
cool can't wait to see the screen shots. there seams to be no good rpg examples out there.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 20:18
I will now post the story behind the rpg. It's a bit cliched, and the names are crap, but this will change. Any suggestions are welcome.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 02:29
NPCs, basically are made up of

First

Checking if the objects are close by subtracting object distances then using ABS to make them positive.

Second

Seeing if they are facing each other

abs(angle1-angle2)<x

Third if the user presses a key

If keystate(x)>1

Fouth, showing the text, presenting options

Text 0,0,"Sup Dogg"
Text 0,10,"A) Sup Homie"
Text 0,20,"B) Your definatly not gellin...."

If keystate(x) blah blah blah

You get the point.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 11:56
I have a good way of doing the turn based battle system.

What I hate about turn based is the fact that you always get hit, so I would be good if (just say there is a stat that is called defense), your defence stat is high then you could kinda dodge the opponent's attack, you could also have a magicdefence stat for when you opponent uses magic attacks.

What do you think?
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2003 18:01
I was thinking of including an accuracy and evade stat to account for this. Evade could be brought down by carrying heavy armour and objects and accuracy could also depend somewhat on what attack is being used.

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 20:16
maby with this tut you could add some effects? Seperate bits in the tut explaining how certain magic/smoke effects where achived. People could then incorporate those effects into anygame

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk

- Coder Of The Night
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 21:07
You mean like a standard library of fx? That's definitely a good idea, I might do that.

Also, if anyone would like to help me with this project I'll gladly accept your help, as I'm kinda busy and working on my own for this project is a lot of work. So if you can code, do 3D, 2D, music or sound effects, email me @ vospieter@hotmail.comor contact me on MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger to tell me what you can do.

Cheers,
Kentaree

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 21:20
great, im interested

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk - under construction
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Suave
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I usually don't post much but I'm really interested in seeing this rpg demo/source code finished and I was wondering if it's still being worked on? If it is, can you please update all of us who are patiently waiting as to how it coming along? I really excited about this project and hope it gets finished. Thanks for any responses in advance.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 07:00
Im sure he still is. Kentaree just posted a little while ago.

http://matedit.com/forums/index.php (other great DB forums)
Current Project - Legends of the Sword - On my WWW
Check out profile for more information
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 21:56
Yup, I'm still here. Really busy at the moment though, doing my retro compo entry and I've just started college, but it is definitely still in progress. Actarus is making a werewolf model for my game so I'll post screenshots soon, and remember if anyone wants to help on this game, just e-mail me or contact me on a messenger system.

Cheers,
Kentaree

I would be unstoppable if I could just get started...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 00:07
Cleaned up your post for ya Kent - dont want any more 'off topic' ers If you want me to model anything for your RPG, I probably can Swords, houses etc

RPGamer

We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 13:19
Thanks RPG
If you want to model stuff for me, I'd be glad to accept your offer, I'll make a few sketches for you to work off, I just hope I can find a scanner somewhere

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 12:01
I have another idea, when you gain party members(if you have that included), don't make them invisible(like GoldenSun), but make them stand around you(like a v) and when ever you move/turn they move/turn, then when you go into battle mode, they all surround the enemy.
What you think?
RPG_Freak.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 22:23
Kinda like Secret of Mana

We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 18:56
That's a good idea, it'll stop people wondering where your team-mates run off to when you're not fighting

Currently, I have not alot of time on my hands, and working on a few other projects, so I haven't touched this for a while. Some of you might remember Actarus's werewolf model, that's being made for this game, and will make for a good enemy / boss when I finally get everything properly set up.

Also, when I get some screenshots out, I'll ask for help on the team requests boards, as if I keep going at this rate, this game'll be finished by the time we reach Upgrade 10

Keep the suggestions and ideas rolling in though, they'll all be noted

Cheers,
Kentaree

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 11:29
Remember at the begging of all this, you said this was for the purpose of helping everyone so that they can learn how to make rpg's. So I'm thinking, why don't you post (on a website or on this forum) all the code, you've done so far. It'll help us all.
RPG_Freak.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 19:46
There's very little point in posting messy code that doesnt work properly, and I really want to have something worthwhile done before I post it up. However, I will post up significant parts of the code as they are completed.

The first code to be posted will likely be the battle system (and in not too long a time I hope) as I have some stuff done for that.

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 12:54
I'm getting tired of spotting seemingly useful posts only to find out they just drag on forever without anything actually being released. IF you got something, good, release it and we can comment on it. If not, SAVE IT.

-------------------------------------
I have a sign beside my door-hinge
that says nothing rhymes with orange.
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 13:07
Guru - If you read the post you'd see that Kent wanted ideas and suggestions, seeing as this is something for the community, that'd be quite helpful right? Lets not complain at someone making something to help us...

Currently working with...

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 13:12
I might be able to offer ideas and suggestions if I had something to look at. Talk is cheap. Anyone can sit down and ramble on about their great ideas for this and that. This board is for posting works in progress so that they may be commented on, etc. At least that's how I understand it. It doesn't take that much effort to at least throw up a screen shot.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 05:06
Cool keep up the work Kentaree. It will be interesting to see how it works, and looks.

Guru - I see your point, especially if your really stuck on something (like I have been), search through forums that have a glimmer of hope to help, and show nothing, but its a WIP thread to.

I highly doubt that Kentaree wont finish this, or atleast show us something, he has been fairly regular with posts on this.

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2003 11:32
I suppose I can be patient. But you hit the nail on the head. When the title of a thread is RPG Demo & Source I don't expect to find 40 some posts in the thread without either of those two in there anywhere!

I mean come on, I have posted screenshots and a progress demo in the works in progress forum twice now since I signed up and gotten very little reads, let alone posts. And here we have a 40 some replies to a thread abour supposedly an rpg demo and source code and there isn't any. I'm frustrated is all.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 16:34
Yea, maybe I should spend less time posting on this than coding hehe.

But seriously, like I already said I'm extremely busy even without this project, and currently everything I'm working on seems to be slowing down. Also, there's my increasing college load. However, I definitely want to finish this, as I've promised far too much to not finish it now.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 01:39 Edited at: 1st Nov 2003 01:41
Used my time allocated to study for my number systems exam to finally got some decent work done on this (so if I fail, I'll blame all of you :-P). Anyway, the graphics on this are just placeholders, they will definitely not be in the final version, and they are not mine (except for the UI).

Any comments and suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:18:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:18:41