Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3D World Studio - Loading maps into game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 23:37
Hello,

I was wondering if some kind person would post a quick tutorial on importing the .dbo maps from 3D World Studio. I can import .bsp maps into my game alright and there is collision and stuff working but I cant even seem to find the map from 3D World Studio after doing ...

odb3d.LoadObject(<pathtomap>;

As a bonus, could someone please explain about getting collision to work on .dbo objects.

Thank you,

Karsten
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 16:18
Karsten, I'll need to look into this because it could be the .DBO format that differs slightly. 3D World Studio exports .DBO files of a specific format which are compatable under DarkBASIC Professional. I'll check this with DGDK.NET to see if there is an issue with the format.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Karsten
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 18:15
Thankyou, that would be much appreciated.

However, after loading the .dbo file into the game, the main problem is that i cannot just do...

oDBWorld.SetBSPObjectCollision(1, 1, 0.01f, 0);

Because the map is not a .bsp.
-------------
If I use the makeobjectcollisionbox() feature, it puts a box around the whole .dbo map so the whole thing is like a big solid block... Is there any way to make it so that individual walls within the .dbo map are solid and not the whole thing?

Thanks for your time,
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 01:31
Karsten, ok for some reason, the forum didn't highlight that you had posted, and therefore I spent time just getting the .DBO file loaded:

I have also attached the project regarding the above test.

Anyway, with regards to collision, you basically have two choices:

1. Use sphere to polygon collision checking. I.e. the DBO map collision type is set to polygons, but this will force all other objects to use box or sphere collision checking.

2. Use the ODE plugin and do actual Trimesh collision checking. Adding to this, I have somewhat lapsed in getting the plugin finished, but I've been working on Nuclear Glory's Collision DLL for DGDK.NET, but I got tied up with updates and other matters, so I'm hoping to get this plugin finished real soon. It will still be sold through Nuclear Glory though, so it won't be a free plugin or anything.

If I was in this situation myself, I would resort to using ODE as a simple means of collision checking, but with the added bonus of using physics as well.

Sorry if this doesn't solve the main problem, but the thread is open for suggestions of course.

Find attached, the project for above.

Paul.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Karsten
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 03:25
Yes,

That helped me out greatly, I was using polygon collision for both, so i changed the map to polygon and the player object to spheres and it worked a treat! cheers.

I was not sure about how to get the physics plugin to work so I will try and have a play with that because the first solution is rather slow on displacements.

One thing to point out, when loading a non-pk3 packed .bsp and you have to leave a blank string when you do,

oDBWorld.LoadBSP("","<pathtomap>");

it comes up with an error every time.. im not sure if this is a bug but just thought i would mention it here instead of opening yet another post (soz).

But yeah, Ill probs look into that .NET version of NGC when its released.

Thanks again,

Karsten
Karsten
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 19:09
hmm, its odd but it still says you are the last poster of this topic.. Do you think that the dark basic foums are messed up?

Hopefully you will see the thanks post above /\/\

Cheers,
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 21:11
Definately something odd there. I did check in just to see if you had posted, but it's not showing up as you say. But... your welcome. I noticed your post under the CS forum also. Have you tried doing a search for 'Collision' under the Program Announcements and WIP threads to see if people have posted native DBP code samples that you could adapt to work under DGDK.NET?

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:27:10
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:27:10