Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Help please (FrameRate, Win conditions)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 12:35
Hi, i am using the trial of FPSCreator and i'm loving it, and definetly considering buying it.
However, i have a problem with the framerate.
Even on the lowest settings possible it only stays at above 25 FPS if there is one or no enemies.
Now i know from experience that fighting one enemy after another, rather than in groups, can get boring pretty fast
So i was wandering if this is just because i am using the Trial, not the Full version, or is it because i have not compiled it into EXE (which i can't do in Trial, so i can't test that)

My other question is regarding Win conditions.

I have designed a trial "stealth game" level, where the idea is that after the player has killed all the enemies, he wins.
However the only way i can see for the player to win is by a Win zone, and that isn't the idea for this level. I may make other levels where you just have to get somewhere, but this one is a "take everyone down without dying" level.

I would really appreciate help, and i would like to congratulate the people who made this program on an Excellent game creating tool.

Thanks

E.D.

sig later
Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 16:20 Edited at: 5th Apr 2007 16:20
A Little search could've answered most of your questions.

The Trial is based on a very old version, so it's not completely compareable to the current version.

The program does eat quite alot of memory, so if you're using old and relatevily weak computer, you will experience problems with framerate when using the test play. This is 'cos the program (FPSC) is still running in the background with the test game, so the actual framerates might be a bit higher when playing the compiled EXE. Also the graphical settings, especially shaders and lightining quality are rate-killers.

Your level design also has a big effect on the playability of the game: Too many active, dynamic objects, dynamic lights and stuff in overall in a one scene will kill your framerates. You pretty much are not going to create another Far Cry with FPSC with large open areas and tons of enemies. For long it was nearly a rule to make maps limited areas with small zones split with segments with minimal entities. The very latest update did improve the engine a bit, and now you can pretty much have more than 10 enemies on screen without noticeable problems.

As for your level idea, it could be made by changing the "objective" of the map required to get to the next level, and with some script editing. Still, you have to remember that while FPSC is being updated, it is still somewhat buggy and limited. All the things cannot be made with the map-editor alone.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 16:49
Well, don't use too many lights, and make only a select FEW objects dynamic.

Sorry, but I'm in a rush.

AI: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30/Earned in Blood player.
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 18:24
Thanks for your help, and about the search, my question related to the Trial version, and i'd already searched for how to keep the framerate high.
The info helped a lot, although one part of my level (which is now fairly good, i managed to make a way that you HAD to kill everyone to get to the switch wwhich opens the door that leads to the win zone.
But i will try to use your tip

Thanks again.

E.D.

sig later
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 04:18
You can also make entities an objective. When all the objectives have been reached then the game ends as a win.

You can also make character entities as an objective. Go to the properties of the entity and towards the bottom is a property called "isobjective." Change the '0' to a number. It really doesn't matter what number you choose but I would think we shouldn't have two entities with the same number. If you look at the win zone property you will notice that there is a "2" as default in that property. This tells us that the number does not really matter. If any entitity has a number > 0 then it will just be remembered as being an objective. Objectives do not have to be met in numerical order. If you made another entity as an objective and included the win zone then you would need to make the entity objective as well as getting into the win zone.

So, make all of your characters as an objective and once they are all destroyed you will win the game.

Sorry for this being so long. I have a habit of being long winded and it doesn't help that I can type 50 words a minute.

As opposed to Highlander.
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 10:08
Thanks F l a t l a n d e r, and it's NP about the long post, i have the same problem (curse you, typing tutor )

And would there be anyway to make it play a sound when you finish the last objective??

Thanks

E.D.

sig later

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 09:28:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 09:28:14