Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Current Project Developments And Ideas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 22:19
I am not sure if anyone has been keeping track of the thread that I made about selling FPSC games, but I am making a separate thread to use as a resource so that anyone who is interested in self publishing can come here, make a post, and I can reply with the best advice I have, which will hopefully help that individual.

Right now I am working with Nano Games on developing a Special Edition of their titles, doing this one title at a time. I would like to state here that I appreciate Nano Games giving me this opportunity and being open to my ideas. I will give some specifications of the project and what we have developed so far. Now this post is solely to give self publishers ideas of what I am doing and to allow them to ask questions and me giving them the best answers and resources I have found so that they do not have to waste time searching for these solutions themselves.

The first idea was to create a strategy guide. IU found that publishing an actual book would be costly and even a small pamphlet would not be that great for a true strategy guide. I decided to go with an electronic format in a eBook version of a strategy guide. This is a method to save money and even add some effects that you could not in books.

There is going to be a product barcode used with this game and I have posted past solutions for that so that you can buy a number instead of registering with the UCC. If anyone needs a link to that let me know and I will repost the link.

DVD's are very popular. I also thought that a DVD version would be excellent. You can find some great DVD authoring software out there for a cheap price. I just got off the phone with a DVD authoring software company who I told about the project and we are working out details about having their company logo inserted on the DVD box which would be a major plus for us and give us exposure. I highly recommend that if you are going to add a DVD disc in your game to provide extra content like strategy guides, movie clips, making of the game etc. that you contact a software company and see if you could get them to allow you to place their logo on your game. I can provide you with the approach that I used when contacting this company. So far they are interested and the CEO of the company is going to be contacting me. I look at it as worse case scenario, they will say no, but it does not hurt to try.

Providing a virtual design of the packaging helps, because it gives stores, publishers, partners and anyone else you come into contact with, a visual idea of how the game will look when packaged. Provide some video clips and screenshots and you have some powerful marketing tools to provide people. If you need any ideas of how to present a package let me know. I will try to give some constructive ideas.

If you have more then one game, you can do a dual game package. This would make your game very appealing as you get two games for one and it does not cost much more to insert a second disc and get dual disc packaging.

One of the most important things is to add some good features ot make your game appealing. Graphics layout, design, features, etc . are all important. no one knows your TM name or game, so the more appealing you make the product the better is the result for you. It will add more appeal for someone to buy your game which will begin your reputation as a game developer and trademark your current and future games.

So those are some developments and ideas and if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

K.L. Phair
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 02:56
Good luck on this Pas

Loc

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 03:03
pas sure likes to type

===*KABOOM!*
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 03:13 Edited at: 7th Apr 2007 03:14
to many words... But im am really intrested.

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 04:22
@ Loc: Thanks, I appreciate it. Congratulations on being inserted into the newsletter. Also, I love, absolutely love the layout of your website. I noticed some people said there were to many links, but it is well organized and provides a great deal of good information about the game. I was never good at organizing, but you have mastered that for sure. Also the game looks really good from the screenshots and random photos I saw.

@ Alan C: Sometimes it seems easier to type then to talk.

@ Jonathan Samson: Thanks for the support Jonathan.

K.L. Phair
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 21:38
Update: I just got off the phone with the Product Marketing manager for the DVD software company. I can say I was nervous and had to do a phone presentation which was not what I expected. Expecilaly trying to describe everything visually as well as marketing plans etc. A lot of detail. So, Here I am waiting for a response in the next day or so from them. I feel a small bit of happiness that I was told that the outcome would look positive, but they had to double check to make sure that this would work for sure. I will know in a day or so. Regardless of what happens, I feel good that at least I got as far as I did and that they were extremely interested in what I had to say. I will keep everyone who is interested in the outcome posted on what they say, whether if they agree to work with us on this project or not. It would be great to have their endorsement on this project, but if not then I at least can say I tried.

K.L. Phair
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 16:37
hope it goes well, cause if i make a good game....

Mods, its 500x100, so you cant tell me its bigger than 600x120
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 01:42
I am very happy today. Smiling and all. Yes, I had a long talk and did yet another presentation over the phone to another person about not only my current project developments but also future developments with this software company whose name is DivX Inc. I talked to the Marketing Manager and Director about a special license to not only use their technology, but also accompany their brand name and logo on any of my gaming products. This company can be found on DVD players all across the USA and Europe. So to me this is a big accomplishment. We have agreed to a licensing fee and this will cover current and future projects that DivX Inc. will support by letting us use their brand name and technology to show consumers that we are DivX certified for their DVD content.

I am also exploring SDK in game cinematic options for future game releases. I am very happy about this and despite having to talk to numerous people, I have accomplished this goal that I can admit I was not sure if they would agree to it. Their software is for personal use only, and so I am happy that I could get a special license with them for commercial use.

I can say now that I am going with FPSC X10 for sure, and with that version I am going to look at in game cinematic options.

This just shows that it does not hurt to contact large corporations and see what can develop. If anyone has any questions as to putting a plan together like I did, let me know and I will give you the best advice I can based upon what I did.

K.L. Phair

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 09:24:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 09:24:37