Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / NEWBIE: WIll my Gfx Card work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

Thinking about purchasing the GDK and some other darkSoftware, but before I do I had a question about my video card.

I currently have the factory card which is an nVidia GeForce 4 MX, will that handle game development if I want to do 3D games? I know that I should upgrade and eventually I will, but if I dont have to right yet then I don't want to bother, would rather get the software and start learning.

THanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 17:09
Your GF4 will suffice for doing development work, but I will point out that you will not have shader support. Although I've not really used shaders myself, if you plan to purchase DarkShader for creating special effects and such for your games, your GPU will not support display of these shaders. The GeForce 4 MX has a very limited shader support and alot of them do not work at all.

For general 3D work though and for displaying 3D scenes in the GDK, (not highly complex scenes), your card will be fine as a starting point.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Fcarentz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul!
Fcarentz
Years of Service
User Offline
As a newbie to game programming (but not programming in general) would it be advised to use the GDK or would it be better to use the DBPro IDE? I am familiar with C# so I thought it might be easier to start with the DarkGDK.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 22:24
If you already are familiar with C# then stay with GDK because its lightyears ahead of DBPro when it comes to OOP. Actually I would recommend you to look and DarkEngine (its free and I dont think that kBessa will have anything against that we call it BeerWare

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://www.tigernet.dk - Send SMS to mobile online (will come in english soon)
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 22:42
Beerware? Urgh... I hate beer! (Or anything with Alcohol) I'm sorry Niels, but we ought call it freeware, or maybe... could it be "Lego"ware? As I love Lego. Let's say: You send me a Lego Technic for every product you release based on DarkEngine. :-P Send me a NXT and you also get custom support for life! Hehehe, LOL! (I want one, but that's 1000 bucks here, don't have that money, it's been 2 years waiting for my notebook, I think it'll arrive this week, will have to wait another 2 years)

Well, but Niels is right, DarkEngine ia made to make programmers' life easier while using DarkGDK.NET. Version 0.2 is (was) being worked on, expect a release next week (I'm without a PC at office, so everybory pray that my note arrives soon, or there wiil be more delay). :-P

Happy easter!

Thiago
Fcarentz
Years of Service
User Offline
ok can I use the other software in conjuction with DarkGDK? such as Dark Matter, Physics, all that stuff in the Ultimate Enhancements package? I just want to make sure I am spending my money in the best possible way to be able to start making some games.

I downloaded DarkEngine and I found the DGDKLib dll here on the forum, is that not what I need? And DarkEngine's dll's wont register. ???

Do they need to be located somewhere specific or something?
Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 00:00
Quote: "ok can I use the other software in conjuction with DarkGDK? such as Dark Matter, Physics, all that stuff in the Ultimate Enhancements package? "

I'm not a dgsdk user yet but as far as I know.

DarkMatter: Yes.
Dark Physics: No.
Ultimate Enhancements: No.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 01:28
Quote: "ok can I use the other software in conjuction with DarkGDK? such as Dark Matter, Physics, all that stuff in the Ultimate Enhancements package?"

As Chris said, NO! (Except DarkMatter as it is a pack of objects, not plugins). Any plugin available for DarkBasic Pro will only with DGDK if it's developer release a version compatible to it. It's a bad thing that plugins for DBPro will only work with it.
On the other hand, you can use any general purpose plugin available to .NET. Examples: Physics, Net, Input, etc. Of cource they won't understand a thing about DGDK! But if you know what you're doing, you can use them. And I find it easier to write plugins for DGDK than for DBPro.

Quote: "I downloaded DarkEngine and I found the DGDKLib dll here on the forum, is that not what I need? And DarkEngine's dll's wont register. ???
Do they need to be located somewhere specific or something? "

DarkEngine is just a Plugin for DGDK.NET, so you still have to buy DGDK.NET to use it. Unfortunately there's no Trial Version available. Just FYI: DarkEngine is free.

I hope this info helps. If you haven't buy DGDK.NET or DBPro, I recommend you to try DBPro's Demo and search this forum for some of DGDK.NET code and see for yourself what you prefer to write games with. Without any plugins, both have the same power, but C# is OOP (although DGDK.NET commands are not, but this can be resolved with DarkEngine).

If you are an experienced C# programmer or if it is the language you plan to work everyday with, then go for DGDK.NET. Game development is far from easy, but the results make it worth it.

Best regards,

Thiago
Fcarentz
Years of Service
User Offline
Well doesn't that just bite it!

I bought the DGDK and now I have to wait for them to process the order manually. that stinks!

I was really hoping to have a chance to play with it this weekend.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 03:26
kBessa - Lego? Well... Im from the Land of Lego It was my favorite toy. I think I had tons of Lego

Niels Henriksen
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 08:59
Yeah, I once had a dream of being a Lego designer
It was my favorite Toy also, the I got 14yo and changed to programming, I still have some amount of bricks, but I fell in love with the NXT kit, hope to buy it someday and use NTX# (A C# compiler for it).
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeah, I once had a dream of being a Lego designer
It was my favorite Toy also"

It seems Lego was everyone's favourite toy!

I have vague plans for World Domination
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 20:51
Offtopic!!!

Do you know why its called LEGO?

Its the words LEg GOdt (play good/fun etc.) put togther..

http://www.legoland.dk/?lc=en

Niels Henriksen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:13:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:13:38