Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / First World (Elite type game) Get the Demo Here!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 03:08 Edited at: 16th May 2003 03:08
Here is my Demo of First World written in DB Classic. It is a 4 meg download. I stripped 90 meg from my game to show you this version.

Turn out the lights, put on some Classical music, and relax to the beauty of real space!

This demo is very limited but I have put a lot of effort into making the experience look as real as possible.

Chase the orbiting ship, and fly through the rings of a huge planet!

Here it is!
http://www.ericksonline.com/pincho/firstworld.zip

Thanks
Pincho.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 05:19
I downloaded, and it ran fine on my 1.6ghz system.

-Great Graphics

Nice job

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 08:33
good graphics... but pretty slow (i'd say about 10fps)
thats on my laptop (600Mhz/GF2Go!/Dx9a) which is hardly a slouch

also i think the setup is pretty awekard.

Cursor Up - Down
Cursor Down - Up
Cursor Left - Slide Left
Cursor Right - Slide Right
< - Roll Left
> - Roll Right

that i like

however i think
Space - Fire
/ - Speed Up
right shift - Slow down

would be better

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
For my game to run on 600mhz I would have to have 200 poly ships in the game. Unfortunately I am not a good low-poly modeller. It would still struggle later in the game with several ships. I don't think that you have enough power for DB Classic, it's not the fastest language. You might be ok if I put my 400 poly ship in this demo, the current ship is about 900 polys.

Most of the controls are from Starwraith.... I believe in standardising controls, but there will be a key-setup in the finished version...also Control Pad option.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 03:21
was never a huge fan on starwraiths controls either...
the polygon count isn't really the main issue here, but the amount of transparency. Without proper alpha the Ghost command was always slow and unwelding when used in bulk.
you turn off the ghosting and you'll see what i mean

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah ghosting is slow. My old chip was an 800mhz and I wrote this demo with it. It ran at 40fps. So 800mhz is probably the lowest spec for this game.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 13:35
Will this be commercial?

Always has, never will
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
No just a freebi, I wouldn't risk making a retro-game commercial.
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 14:29
It's a very pretty demo. I especially like the ghosted debris/clouds that become warp-tunnel-ish when you go fast. The background scene is quite beautiful as well. Nice jet-trail on the other ship! I look forward to the actual game or demo.

My only concerns are (again):
Slow FPS (appears to run at about 30 or so, but this is just a guess).
Too many detailed ghosted objects: you may consider reducing the length of the ship jet-trail, or just using less object to do the trick (though perhaps this would look too jagged).
Controls need work. I know that you will allow customization, but these as the defaults are very hard to play by.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 14:30
pincho, im impressed mate.

that was a lot of fun and quite enjoyable as is for the sheer atmosphere effects and the semi warp speed effect is good also.

the controls felt realistic or as much as we can assume whats real for controlling a craft in space. It felt like some small craft with less movability and Im guessing this could adapted for other ships who have different statistics to make them fly faster etc..

Could I introduce an idea perhaps the addition to the first game ever made spacewar was gravity around the center of the screen and a sun was in that space.

gravity and mass / force would be a great addition.

I managed to run it fine on a PIII 933 with a 32 meg tnt2m64, whilst it was around 25 fps it was still playable and retained its speed evenly across the areas of the game except for a very small jitter with a large banking turn and less objects in the fov distance.

fun!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 22:58
Wow, that's nice. A tad bit slow, but I think it's fine.

Raven-- Er... that machine IS a slouch... you can't really expect anything DarkBASIC 3d to run decently on a 600mhz and GF2!!!

Nice graphical effects . Very sweet.

With a lot of work, it might actually make good shareware-- commerical no, but shareware is cool.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 23:52 Edited at: 10th Jun 2003 16:15
Litteraly SUX...Really!!NAh just kidding you pincho I gotta try that as soon as I got some time.

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 02:04 Edited at: 10th Jun 2003 02:05
Thanks for the comments! I may have just clipped the wings off the controls a little with my timer() control. Not much I can get rid of, but I can lock a few more things with the timer. Lenseflare can be timed a bit. I can keep it at 40fps, that's pretty fast for DB Classic. Plus my new ships are low poly. The ship in the demo is about 900.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 20:48
Quote: "Raven-- Er... that machine IS a slouch... you can't really expect anything DarkBASIC 3d to run decently on a 600mhz and GF2!!!"

i've got better running on lower specs, i mean even StarWraith3 works at a very decent speed on my P300 w/Savage4 Pro w/128Mb Ram - so i very much doubt that it is because of being coded in DB Standard/Enhanced.

and you know your attitude of late has been extremely abrasive and down right rude, i'd suggest you think before you post comments like this in the future. Else your going to find yourself on the very wrong side of me!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
@Raven Enjoy your selection of DB games then. It's like this, you choose the games you play by the computer you own. I can play all commercial games on my PC at the moment. But soon I shall need to upgrade. I can't write to companies to complain that their games are not running on my computer. So you choose not to have a computer that can run my game. My game runs a few extra details than Starwraith3. I'm not trying to make it work on less than an 800mhz. That is my minimum requirements for this game.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 03:16
perhaps Pincho, and trust me i do have more powerful systems - but as a rule i use this system for testing software.

I know that so many people know have overpowered systems, with like 1-3Ghz processors and the lasted Radeon or GeForce cards ... but when i test games i expect them to perfom on a machine which isn't exactly state of the art.

think about it... my P3-600 w/GeForce2 is roughly the same speed as a P4-1.25Ghz w/SiS 680 or intel 810i or some other useless builtin card. I mean christ my GeForce2 can even outperform onboard Radeon AiW, not to mention i can run JediKnight2 & Unreal2 which are probably two of the most demanding games on PC's at some speed with most of the options turned on - on this machine.
Not to mention a P3-600Mhz has a 512kb Cache, rather than the 192kb that Duron's have or the 128kb the Celerons have. And trust me that Cache different is worth a good 200-300Mhz at these speeds

i shouldn't need to use my GeForceFX system just to play a very basic game without any real Ai or Collision now should i?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 03:55 Edited at: 11th Jun 2003 03:58
The game will run the same speed with all the other stuff added. It's just one of those odd things about DB. More objects don't seem to slow it down once you get your basic setup established. The AI will be timer based so that it doesn't effect speed. You should compare my game with the game that it is based on....Elite! Not Unreal2. Elite is a very limited game, with just a few ships, and trading screens. Maybe you have never played it. It will run at 40fps on a P800. My game is also a visual effect game, with those ghosted objects being part of the visuals. There aren't many, I just make it look like there are. Try firing the gun......Zero key! Lots more spheres, no more slowdown! It's just one of those things. Oh and collision is the distance formula. just a few lines of code. Should not effect speed much.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 04:06
i can run elite at almost 160,000fps on my system... i really don't think that is a good comparison

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The frame rate doesn't count for much if you lock the ships speed like I have. My game runs at 40fps most of the time on a P800. 40fps has no visible judder, so it is the same as 14000fps. I could obviously move my ships faster if I wanted. What point can you make of value to this game, rather than criticise it? Saying that it runs too slowly on a P600 is hardly a valuable comment to most of the DB community. It might be something that a Blitz coder might say. It is the comment of someone that wants to put other peoples work down. If you are not able to help me then why bother? Maybe you will suggest I look at some free flight code with just a sphere and some stars, trying to compare my game with that. Or point me in the direction of some more C++ games, or Assembler language games. If you think DB is too slow then why waste your time in the DB community? Like I said a P800 is the minimum requirements for this project. A lot of DB games are slower than this.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 16:05
What you've done is visually very impressive. It runs painfully slow on my work machine (450 mhz generic graphics) though so I'll test it more thoroughly when I get back home. What are your plans for this - how long before a full release?

GC
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/
Succession: The Betrayal developer
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
My plans for this are to finish it at a slow pace, whilst doing other quick projects inbetween. It is really just a concept game, like a concept car. It just shows my best work off. Well it will as I replace the ships, and planets with my new stuff.

Pincho.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 17:05
well to me speed is really essential... and i don't want to have to have a powerhouse of a system just to run it.

to you perhaps 40fps is oki, and to be honest it would be ... if the controls ran independant of the FPS - you could even get away with 15fps with the controls being independant.

and you have to remember that this is the speed of only 2 ships and 1 planet ... what happens when you have 2 planets? are you going to be in LOD - perhaps an effects LOD would be a good idea as well, so from far away you only have a single colour transparency and from close up you have it ghosted, if something is out of the camera's FOV then that too will not be ghosted.

there are so many ways you can edit the game ... that said my first post mentioned what i though of the controls bring awkard.
Not to be funny though but playability for the widest audience should be your PRIMARY consern, not good graphics.

and i don't think that it is too much to ask that this is playable on a machine that isn't over 1Ghz fast.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What are you talking about? 800mhz isn't 1ghz? I already told you that using the weapon fires spheres and they are the same as planets, and the game doesn't slow down. That is a temporary test weapon, those spheres will be replaced. If you want a 600mhz space game you can make one. That is just 3 weeks work for you. I would like to see what you can do in DB. I just think that you are a bit self-gratifying that you have to win a pointless argument that is supposed to be helping me. But your help is to tell me to get rid of the ghosted objects, and that the graphics are not important. You are kind of using anti-helpful information to get my game to run on your computer. What kind of selfishness is that?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 17:32
you think i am somehow the ONLY person in the world with a 600Mhz computer? and i'm not running some shitty old gfx card here, the GF2 can hold its own still ... you run this game on a Kryo then perhaps if you doubled the CPU stepping then maybe you'd see what can be achieved.

i've said it one, my current system is the equivilant of say a P4-1.2Ghz w/TnT2 or something similar as DarkBASIC DOES NOT only go on the CPU speed for its speed, infact very little of its speed is gained from the CPU ... you wanna good example of this i just ran the demo with my GeForce2 GTS in an AthlonXP 1200+ and i only gained 10fps.

So i'd suggest rather than bitching about my comments about speed PERHAPS you might want to look into the speed because unlike most people around here who have thier fancy 2Ghz Pentium4's with Radeon 9700's and don't know what a slow game would be if it slapped them in the head, i'm telling you how it performs on my machines which is roughly what you can expect people OUTSIDE of this community will think of it. And if i'm thinking its slow then you can only imagine what others will think of it.

so stop ya whining and DO something about it

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I've told you already that game was written on a P800 with a Riva TNT2 graphics card which is pretty slow, and it ran at 40fps. With nothing on the screen it only manages about 50fps. So you are complaining about a loss of 10fps for this space scene. It is a fast DB game. Anyway it's not written for outside of the DB community. I've tried putting stuff outside the DB community, and even 800*600 res is too much for them. 16bit graphics are often too much for them. This game really is written for myself to play, as I like Elite. If you can't run it then you have a really slow computer. Slower than a P800 with Riva TNT2 64 which is a really slow setup. Actually I made it for slow computers. But not as slow as yours...LOL!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 20:52
Quote: "With nothing on the screen it only manages about 50fps."

yeah and heres the difference, as with nothing on the screen my system can push 100fps (which is DB Standards Max).
and i'm still telling you it doesn't matter what the hell the FPS is, because if you tie the controls to the FPS sync then that is what is the ACTUAL speed problem, which is what i'm actually saying for you to sort out.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah it's locked at 70fps. I can set that to zero if you like. Because the games is controlled by timer().

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:37:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:37:07