Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / texturing custom segments.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 18:36
I want to make some custom segments, on the texturing, do I have to unwrap the mesh or can I just apply some face mapping to it? unwrapping it takes longer it would be nice just to set up some quick face mapping to the walls etc, nice and quick, can also be used to apply more than one texture to the model, though I bet FPSC doesn't like that.

The floors in fpsc are they 2.5 units high? I'm sure Ive seen some at 3.
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 18:51
Search for signs to make custom segments.
All you do is select the image you want to use, and it does the reast.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 19:39
For signs and custom content you have to have the full version, ie pay for it, same goes for that magic program, thats if you want to use your 'own' models, then for textures, if you use your own models, you will still have to set up some UVs, signs and magic will not do that, those using signs et all are using it to re-texture other peoples models, models that others have already made the UVs for.

I am making custom content, not texturing other peoples models.
That is why I am asking about UVs.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 19:43
Download the segment creator at the official FPSC website.

Than you create some textures from 512x512.
Watch the videos that comes along.
And you are done.

No you dont have to learn UV-mapping.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
If you use the FPSC segment editor, you can only have 1 texture per segment object, ie. per wall. Otherwise, you'll need to make your "segments" into entities to use multiple textures.

If I'm wrong and there's a way to assign more than one texture to a single mesh object in the segment editor puhlease let me know!

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 20:11
You still have to set up some coordinates, the mesh needs to know how to lay the texture down, so the question still stands,
Do you unwrap the mesh or just apply some simple face mapping?

if your sole experience is just opening up someone else's mesh in segment editor, or magic or whatever, you may think meshes gets its coordinates for the texture from nothing, so please no more just get signs or magic and it does it all for you,

I am talking about 'custom' meshes, not borrowed meshes, meshes you have made 'personally', the textures have to be set, either by mapping, ie planner. face etc, or unwrapping the mesh, then you can import the mesh into SE magic or signs.

So the question still stands.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 20:29
If you are talking about custom meshes than you need an
UV mapper program or something like that.

I use my moddeling program for my custom meshes and UV mapping.

There was a program but i never searched for it cause that wasnt my problem...but i think you'll find it if you search on google.

Maybe UV software or something.
But i really dont know.

DarkFact
If you mean that you want 1 side a different texture and the other another texture...
Than you just need to add another mesh and give it the texture you want than place it behind the other mesh.

But i dont know the exact problem.

I hope i helped.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 21:02
I have plenty of 3d programs, and yes I know how to set co ordinates.

The question still stands again -

unwrap the mesh or apply surface co-ordinates.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You still have to set up some coordinates, the mesh needs to know how to lay the texture down, so the question still stands,
Do you unwrap the mesh or just apply some simple face mapping?"

Okay, if your segment is more than a box, then you will have to set UVW maps for each area of the mesh that is different...just like any other model. If the segment is a box object, like a 100x100x5 wall segment, then apply a box UVW map and set the dimensions to 100x100x100 (if you want the map evenly spaced all around the segment.

If the segment is a wall with a doorway pre-cut into it, then set it up with a UVW map, box, 100x100x100 like before, then select the parts of the frame that you want scaled differently and apply new UVW coordinates to those areas.

You question's not a simple one. Do you have to unwrap? Yes, No, we don't know. It depends on your mesh object.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you mean that you want 1 side a different texture and the other another texture...
Than you just need to add another mesh and give it the texture you want than place it behind the other mesh.
"

Yeah, I know. My question was doing this with ONE mesh object. In the segment editor, when you click on the texture button, you can only apply one map to one mesh. Thanks.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 01:22
The lite version of signs is better than the segment creator you can download on the home page. You don't need the full version of signs but it is recommended. For a while I used the lite version but the full is much more compatible.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 01:54
but the lite version of signs does not allow you to add your own mesh, only the default square room that comes with signs, you cant open any fpsc ones, or use your own.
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 07:33 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 07:34
Okay this seems to be an overkill so let me lay the skinny down on this. I own Signs IV and MagicFPS and yes even have the Segment Creator FPSC offers.

Signs IV http://fpsconline.com/ lite version is free
MagicFPS http://www.uberdroid.com
FPS Creator Segment Editor http://www.fpscreator.com/downloads.html free

Each program in itself is good and all 3 are capable of making your segments.

Now textures are applied to the mesh via your program. In other words if you don't want to code anything or uv map anything then these programs are for you. Also if your just now learning and do wish to learn how to code your *.fps file then or for that matter your *.fpe files these programs are great for helping you on your learning curve.

Your *.fps files are in your segment folder and can be opened with your notepad that comes with windows. I do advise you to take a peek and look at a segment file... Once you get a few peeks you will start to understand how the layout is.

Now as far as textures the most you got to worry about is your size of your texture... You can go as low as 256x256 low graphics, 512x512 standard graphics then high def. Some tend to use 1024x1024 in pixel size.

Really there isnt much to making custom segments, floors, ceilings, wall pictures and other things. Just a matter of having the right tools to do the right job. Anyways I hope this helps you on your adventure on your game making.

If you think education cost so much you should see how expensive ignorance can cost you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:58