Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Normal map wow factor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 07:35
Ive been looking around for a good normal map example, I don't see any, I haven't seen anything that looks like it uses it, can someone point me to an example, demo, screenshot film, anything, I just want to see what fpsc can do, I just haven't seen it at all in fpsc, if it is there, its so slight one can hardly see it.

Either that or the nice effects I am seeing in some game engines is parallax mapping. Wheres the nice brick effects with raised bricks, Id like to see some good examples so I can see if fpsc can actually give that effect a shot.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 09:17
This is the type of thing Im talking about, some nice depth to the image, can fpsc do this?

http://www.stoneschool.com/Work/Siggraph/2004/Displacement.jpg

http://reality.artificialstudios.com/twiki/pub/Main/BumpMapping/bumpmapping.jpg
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 09:30
1st one doesnt work
yes 2 the second one, just make an entity and make it static

Mods, its 500x100, so you cant tell me its bigger than 600x120
JroX
Years of Service
User Offline
Funny someone asked this again, I was just figuring out how to apply normal maps in the FPSC engine last night.

Heres a couple shots I took for you, hopefully this will give you a rough idea of what it is capable of.

Now, keep in mind I'm a pretty much a n00b in the art of texturing, there's much for me to learn still. These examples of normal mapped textures probably aren't the best, I'm still figuring out and experimenting with different settings in my imagery apps to come up with optimal results. So far heres what I have:

<br>
This first image shows the exact same texture, only the doors on the right have normal maps applied, the left ones do not. Notice the extra sense of depth coming from the doors on the right. The doors themselves were from a picture I took on my camera the other day downtown. I just cut the door section out and overlaid it on kind of a cheesy looking wood texture which you see behind it.

<br>
Here's another example. I painted this texture myself in paintshop and applied normal maps to the brick texture on the right side of the screenshot. The dips and bumps in the brick seem to be more defined in a 3d sense.

My last example:
<br>

This one was a cut out and overlay of the same texture, the majority of the shot is without shader effects on, the small section you see was from another shot with shaders enabled. I applied a noise filter on this normal map, which I think turned out kinda interesting, much more detail with the shaders on, looks almost like a separate texture altogether.

Anyway, just wanted to share my progress with normal mapping, I think it's pretty cool so far!

1f y0u c4n r34d 7h15, y0u r34||y n33d 70 637 |41d.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 13:21
Ahh yes, I see it can do normal maps, id like to see how much depth it can do, how much depth can it get, does it still hold the depth when viewed from the side.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 13:35
it should be able to be viewed from the sides, not if you are directly at the objects side, but at an angle maybe. I didn't know the depth limit of normal maps changed from program to program so i cant help there sorry.

evil lies within all of us...we just don't know it yet

www.freewebs.com/3dfpsc
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 16:48
how do you add the bumpmap? everytime i try to add one to a segment or entity, it doesnt work, someone want to assist me?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 19:23
I think its in the naming of the texture, you name it the same as the texture you use as the diffuse, but with an extra bit on its name, I forget exactly, do a search on normal maps or bump maps, there is a thread that outlines it.
JroX
Years of Service
User Offline
Normal maps are easy to apply.. You need 3 separate textures, two of them are the same image, only with a different name. Lets take the concrete texture example from above:

I first opened up the original texture, which I named concrete_d2.tga. I believe the 'd2' postfix is used by FPSC to display the texture from within the segment maker browser. (I noticed if you do not have the the d2 at the end, the browser wont recognize it's even there).

Next, I again save the texture unedited, only with no '_d2' on the end, just plain ol' concrete.tga. Same texture, different name.

Now the normal map has to be generated, there are a few apps out there that are capable of doing this. I've tried both the nvidia filters in photoshop, as well as the normal map generator in another program called texture maker.

Now that you have your normal map, save it as concrete_n.tga. The 'n' indicates to the engine that it is a normal map, and will know how to use it.

Next, fire up your segment creator program, (I still use the buggy one that is from TGC. Add in your mesh as usual, and click on change texture. You will see your first texture, 'concrete_d2.tga'. Select that one.

Now its just a matter of applying the .fx shaders to the textures. Click on change effect, and select bumpent.fx. I've seen people saying to use the 'bump.fx' as well, only when I try to use that shader, it never works right inside the game. So bumpent.fx does the trick for me.

Don't forget to do the 'calculate visibility' and save your new segment.

Keep in mind this is probably not the only way to apply normal mapping on textures, it's just what I do, and it works for me.

Good luck!

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 04:04
alright i get all that, but when i make a segment with Signs4, i go into my directory and save my normal map with the _n as its extension, but it doesnt effect it, do i need to edit the .fps?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
JroX
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah yes, signs. I've heard alot of people speaking of this program. I unfortunately haven't any experience using it, so as far as the whole creation process within signs, I can't be of much help, sorry!

If I may ask, whats so advantageous of using a program like signs? It seems to me to be a slightly more newb-friendly application than say the entities from x files program from TGC. Is this the only perk of using it?

Besides the stupid random bugs that plague the segment editor, I find both seg-edit and entity maker to do the job just fine for me. Do you have troubles running these programs?

If you'd like, I'd be willing to post step-by-step instructions for how I go about creating segments and entities with shaders, etc. But like I said, I just use the 'default' applications, so the process I go through will be a bit different from what you seem to be using and familiar with.

Let me know if you want more help, I'd be glad to pass on my knowledge!

Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe you know that we have done normal mapping in FPSC^^

it is very easy to use it on Entitys but hard to aplly them on Segments because they look a bit ... after it^^

I'm from Germany so don't say something about my English! Otherwise i will be a bit angry!^^
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe you know that we have done normal mapping in FPSC^^

it is very easy to use it on Entitys but hard to aplly them on Segments because they look a bit ... after it^^

I'm from Germany so don't say something about my English! Otherwise i will be a bit angry!^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 09:25:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 09:25:27