Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Dark Basic and FPS creator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you get FPS creator stuff to darkbasic pro to edit it, it say it can import FPS creator stuff.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 19:29
Read the tutorial in the Newsletter 37.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 02:48
Then purchase Hands on Dark Basic Pro Volume 2 from

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=hands_on_vol2
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:30
If you import it into DB you will not be able to use all the scripts and stuff that make fpsc good, so you will have a level in there and nothing else, so you would have to code in the whole lot, which would take forever trying to make a fps, so whats the point of importing into DB, you would be better off importing into Torque, at least they have a fps example, though the support is not very good.
It would be nice to be able to import fpsc into DB because then we could build BSP levels, but use all the cool stuff from fpsc, like the weapons the models the scripts etc, hell if you could do that I would buy DB tomorrow and make my fps in that, just import everything from fpsc, bar the levels, make my bsp levels and import that instead into DB and off I go, now that would be good, as then I could use fpsc, but use my own levels, I don't like building with segments at all.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:38
@Fallen One

The scripting in DB is a lot simpler than you give it credit for, FPS Creator is a brilliant level editor for it, but with just FPSC you can only make FPS games with the whats already hard coded into the engine. If you create a game with DB, you can have all the upgrades as well, like with Dark Physics, it has made it easier to implant ragdolls, liquids, vehicle physics etc. into the game. Another value wish I hoped would be available in FPSC was mirrors, then I heard all about shaders and thought that it would be impossible, but with only a couple of lines of code it is possible in DBPRO. All I'm saying is that extremely limited compared to the functions available in DB, and all I am using it for at the moment is a level editor.

evil lies within all of us...we just don't know it yet

www.freewebs.com/3dfpsc
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:42
Id also be interested in how importing fpsc levels into DB comes out, would the imported map made up of lots of separate walls like in fpsc, if so you are going to get a performance hit, if its a big square room, say in quake you would have 6 brushes, but in fpsc you would have all those segments, 6 for every 100 units, so for every 100 units times it by 6 and that how many brushes are used, Ive posted asking about how fpsc works, if its bsp, if its all meshes for geometry, if the segments are instanced, like how does it work, so yes I am interested in porting to fpsc, not to get the levels over, id build my own, but for the fpsc stuff, like characters the guns, code to make it work like all the scripts and stuff, I don't think that's in fpsc, so unless you can code, and I cant then you cant have a fps in DB as its not a default game set up like it is in fpsc.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:49
The scripting in DB is a lot simpler than you give it credit for.

I need something that doesn't need any scripting, I have projects in other game engines I have even put up money to give when stuff I want is coded for me, hell, 4 months later Im still waiting, so coding that's not a route for me, I need something I can make with just my skills, I don't code, but I can sure do any other job no problem, fpsc is good for that, but damn that dumb segment editor, its great for the hobbyist who has never made a game before, but I have years of experience building levels, I don't want a segment editor, I want to import my levels in, that's why DB is good, but it doesn't have the stuff fpsc has, ie you can set up a fps game in minutes, no coding at all.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 00:24
If you want to create a game to sell then people aren't going to expect you to make it in a few seconds, it's got to be worked on. And to be honest, all you need is the player movement, weapon functions and then import the map. It's not a hard process to do if you work on it.

P.S. Why did you go into Torque Game Engine if you don't like coding, I like the program, but it's like being forced to go into the corner of circular room.

evil lies within all of us...we just don't know it yet

www.freewebs.com/3dfpsc
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 04:03
QUOTE - And to be honest, all you need is the player movement, weapon functions and then import the map. It's not a hard process to do if you work on it.

It is if you cant code, and if its so easy, where are all the fps games in DB, but you have plenty in fpsc, why because its all there, same goes for Torque, if its good, then where are all the games made with Torque, the only games I see are mostly done by the people that run the engine, that tells you something right from the off, good tools produce a good turn out. If the numbers arnt there, then something is wrong.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:29