Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Female Programmers!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 17:11
Am I alone? Someone said there were no other female programmers here so this post is to find another female programmer that uses DB!
I'm sure she exists!
(I just wanna prove somebody wrong!)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 18:14
Oh who you gonna prove wrong?
Ya know my sister is registered to the forum as Android18 (and on RGT) but she very rarely posts anything.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 19:36
There used to be a few, but most of them left when the RGT forums started going downhill... like I did. Too bad, Multi was quite cool, along with the few others.

--Mouse
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 20:22
I remember Multi, oh the good old days.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 22:00
hey Rose you got that URL???

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 23:02
hey rose are you originally from ireland?
... and i think i've gotta check my profile - never noticed that age thing before
(not that i'm gonna put it - i know a few people who'd love to know how old i am here :p)

personally what happened within RGT drove most of them away or to just sit back and not contribute ... its sad but what happened was just so damn'd annoying for everyone and started paranoia about users and such. Just glad noone decided to say they were gay or bi - could you imagine eck - i think it was far better when there wasn't a deal about what gender you are, your age, blah blah - somethings should be private really unless someone wishs to tell ya. Kinda whats so good about the net is the aminimity that you gain and being judged on what is said and done rather than who you are, position, colour, race, sexuallity blah blah - as soon as all that crap comes into play ... well RGT is a fine example say no more

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:15
Sorry,
I meant no harm, I was just curious!

Rose
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:42
I am... oh wait... no I'm a guy. Sorry, identity crisis there... I'm ok now!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:45
:: hits raps with the rolled up paper ::
bad kitty :p

i know you ment no harm by this so don't worry about it, but it is always good to understand why there are so few and what caused this. Hopefully there will be a decent amount of girls again but i guess it'll take time, especially for those who are out of the loop since leaving RGT.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 03:12
The whole computing industry is trying to get more females on board (well, at least according to Computing magazine).

The problem is trying to remove the image of it being a male domain, which, where I work would be pretty hard as I'll have to clean my desk of rubbish...

Yes, I really am THAT good...
DEANO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 03:50
lovely lisa was another female programmers. But she's gone.

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
--Homer Simpson, in response to Lisa's perpetual motion generator
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 20:48
I'd like to see more female talent out in cyberspace. It would add a new edge to the creative output of this community.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 23:37
As long as we dont have lots of Washing Up simulators...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 01:14
i dunno... doing virtual dishes might be easier than real ones

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 21:13
Be careful what you type...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 21:55
anyone remember that really crap barman game?
ya just know someone stupid company is gonna thing it'll sell millions

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 01:15
female programmers? hehehe, thats pretty funny. I still cant believe they let them on the roads.
note: im not serious

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 01:35
or am i? dun DUN DUUUN

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 02:17
if any girls would like to kick froggerman's ass he lives at
... Mwhahaa no shouldn't be that mean

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 16:12
Rather controversial there... However, considering that my Mum passed and failed her driving three times or so (couldn't handle the fact that you need to steer and change gears), and my sister drives like she owns the road (in GTA3) anyway, he could (or couldn't be) correct.

I'm the only one in the family that passed first time on the driving test...

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 23:16
I'm a good driver! Even though I'm still in my R plates! (I used to have a boyfriend so I never had to learn to drive until this year!)
Some people are made to drive, others are made to be driven!

PS.
I bet I could beat any one of you in a racing game!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 23:25
Probably - my sister certainly can. Mind you, I can utterly pulverise her in Unreal Tournament - more my style.

Personally, I cant stand driving - much easier to let someone else do it...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2002 04:20
... well if i'm ever in your area Rose ya on
i hate being driven, so many people are so bad
but then again i'm not much of a car man ... prefer my Fireblade CBR 900

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 07:54
Driving? They're all out to get me! I see them coming from the left! The Right! No I must focus on the road ahead, avoid eye contact. If I don't look at them, maybe they won't know I'm here!

Now... Back to the subject!
Rose, I feel that there need to be more female programmers in the world too! Not to sound like I'm coming on to you cuz I'm not, but I don't think any woman who doesn't know something about programming could ever stand to be married to me!

Female programmers are a rare find. You should be honored that you can consider yourself a one-of-a-kind person! After all, not many women can do what you do

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 16:18
... i'm still wondering what can she actually do? ...
i mean we've not seen anything from her yet

however wendigo has a good point. if you have someone who understands, then things are good - perhaps you can get them to help or just someone to aimlessly talk to about what your doing (sometimes helps when ya stuck, try it )
But way too often i've been with people who can't turn a freakin' PC on let alone sit there and be all understanding about why i end up working about 50-60hours a week.
I tend to have a habit of ending up with the Technophob women, still don't understand how ... always ends the same way to

I think the reason so little women actually enter programming is the fact that there is a myth around the whole subject of it being a male skill. Perhaps if you saw the female programmers getting the accolade as well as the guys then it'd be different
But then again the women would have to do something remarkable and some form of achievement to get noticed in this way.

Really and Egg & the Chicken saga... and until someone beaks the loop always gonna be there

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 16:25
Another clue....

She drives

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 16:27
I'm sooo stressed at the moment! I have 4 assignments due next week. Including a write up on what my dark basic project will be about. aaaagggghhhhh!!!!!!

Also this university is sooo short of computers!! My laptop is away being fixed again so I have to rely on the univeristy computers and its just not fair!!!

Anyways I'm only got the full version of DarkBasic from Amazon last week so I'm still playing with the tutorials.

I wish I had more time!

If I could freeze time for a month, it would make all the difference.....
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 16:29
lol,
Heres another clue,
I drive a dark blue Ford Fiesta....
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 16:43
Universities are always short on computer - the problem is most students play games on the spare computers... Yours truly got told off for it once...

I would complain to a lecturer if you need a computer urgently; alternatively use a cyber-cafe and e-mail yourself any stuff that needs to be saved.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
my other half is a 3D modeller/CAD Tech but that dosent quite reach DBpro sos

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 17:03
Another annoying thing was when I was at college, one of my assignments was writing a computer game (Turbo Pascal 6 - Space Invaders style). Unfortunately due to a no-game policy the technicians kept resetting my computer, until I told them what it was for.

The life of a games programmer is fraught with danger...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 19:55
yeah but i'm guessing you're not told off for working at home cause your other half thinks your playing computer games!
its like i'd have Maya open she'd think it was some sorta game - i'd be coding something in DB or C and she'd think i was still playing a game... i think you get the idea.

who i'm with right now is cool thou, both use computers most of the day for work ... also both sketch alot and such - alot of fun

ya know when i went to college quake was only just out, i brought it in and installed it on a computer then everyone else installed it from that - hehee was alot of fun, we'd go in there at lunch with our pot noddles and such and frag each other. got caught by the tutor once thought we were in for it, she turned around and said "i've not been able to get games past the technicians" ... just left us to play
though i bet if we didn't finish the course work in like 5-10mins of the lesson start she and the others woulda probably been piss'd we were playing games on campus

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
oh no shes cool and we are rather sad We both play DAOC and Age of Empires together so it must be love !!

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm ...

or shes my imaginary friend, nah cant be how could I play Daoc with 2 laptops ah unless iam imagining them too

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 22:29
hehee... my girls more of a Doom/Quake3/JK2 fan
Also are both quite into martial arts - so might not be so good when we get into a big fight

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 02:40
"Universities are always short on computer"

Abertay Uni is sweet. There are audio labs, render farms, full printing facilities. And a huge library!

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 02:42
sweet

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 08:47
Where I come from, girls use computers as paper waits. I think the only way I'm getting married is if I move north to Silicon Valley or just plain move out of state!

"...or shes my imaginary friend" - Shoot! I'd be happy with that

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 12:53
Abertay, I always thought that was a bad university cause they are still advertising it on tv, and sure the first term is half over! lol

Ok, I'm sorry, I know nothing about universities! sure I'm still stuck in Northern Ireland
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 04:37
lol only uni i've been in so far has been Hertfordshire Uni (perhaps LAU soon cause i wanna better education, feel stupid compaired to most guys here)

they had an awesome computer lab though, and i don't mean the one that everyone got to use for work and stuff - mean the one specifically for the people taking computer orientated courses. All fully equipped development machines no matter what your subject ...
my dad was professor there for a while and got to use them whenever i wanted was cool
had hoped to goto uni, but when oppertunity knocks sometimes the offer is just too sweet!

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 17:03
Actually, someone mentioned Turbo Pascal above and I've been programming in that since I was 14, so if you want any proof of what I can do I'll send you my code. Oterwise you'll have to wait til June to see my Dark Basic program.

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 17:11
My Uni's computer lab is good. Theres a 24 hr suite and a 12 hr one which is computing students only. Thing is the 24hr suite has way better systems, way better admins and is just generally better. The only thing the suite for computing studenrts only has going for it is the CDRW in every 5 machines

System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 17:37
Pah, I would'nt like a coder for a girlfriend, well, maybe if she had her own PC - imagine if they started coding better than you?, god that would be embarassing (in a schuvenist sorta way). As far as my better half is concearned, PC's are those toys for keeping men quiet, copying CD's and downloading .mp3's.

She buys me lots of cool toys to go on my desk though - I have a talking Timmy doll (in his wheelchair), a talking Jim Royal doll, a KoRn doll (from 'Issues' cover, he came with us to see them live in September), a little plastic Elmo, and no doubt loads of the new happy meal muppet toys when they come out (Gonzo and Beaker, that's all I wanted, I have Chef and Kermit already).

Van-B (needing a bigger desk)
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 21:35
Sorry don't want to sound ignorant but what is RGT and what happenned on it? Sorry I've been with DB from the start but only just started using the form cos I switched to Broadband and can download files & surf! Wow luxury lol

Girls programming has to be a good thing, especially with the obvious male bias in most games/subjects at the momment. And games FOR girls made by men usually suck, see Barie, MaryKate & Ashley, Shopping and Horseriding games etc. Yeurch.

My Wife used to Program Spectrum and Commodore64 games (true), but she now spends most of her time cooking, cleaning, and looking after the kids (not true) lol

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 02:43
Not til June Rosey ... aww now i'm sad
I don't think having you're girl do the same sorta things as you is a bad thing - I mean who i'm with is also and artist, 2D

she does some truely amazing work and gotta say yeah on occasions i get green eyes about it, but ya always do when someone is better - kinda natural i think.
But its not like its an issue, she has her skills i have have mine and togther we do compliment each other quite well.
then again 2D and 3D are different so probably why it isn't as bad

Thou i'd love to see something you've done Rose, don't mind the language just be cool to see something.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 02:24
Oh hang on RGT = prolly Real Game Tools - Duh stupid me
Still don't know what happenned there tho?

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 03:02
And this isn't the post to find out about it either

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 09:56
Yeah - just look for the posts labelled [Flamebait] .

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 10:33
hehee yup they tell a sad sad tale, of a boy who has a friend who is a tiny lil mousie ... oh no wait thats stuart little

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 13:05
Hehe, RV's seen Stuart Little .

I prefer the directors cut with the gory ending. "No Stuart, stay away from the Vacu.. STHUMP WHEEEEEZZZZZEEEEE"

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:17:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:17:05