Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Collision Detection using 3DS or X files in game?????????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 01:22
What file would be the best to make a game world with. I want to use 3ds Max to make the world. Which one would provide the best collision detection. I know 3ds Max exports a 3ds file without no plugin or so as I know. But for me to use the X. file format for my world, I would have to get the Pandasoft Plugin to export an .X file. But I really don't know if all of the information for that file will be enough to provide great collision detection. Right now at the moment I am favoring .3ds file format. Would that be the best format to use, if I use Sparky's Collision Detection Plugin.

G4G
aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 03:49
Worlds are svaed as bsp files...

I will Learn to rule 2d. Someday...
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 08:40
Thanks aluseus GOD, that was a useless comment. BSP can be used as worlds, but that's not what he wants now, is it?

The Dark Game engine that powers both DBPro and DGSDK doesn't really support 3DS properly, even though it's advertised as doing so. I found that using X is your best option from 3DS Max, I tried to make a DBO exporter but I gave up.

As for collision, I haven't been keeping up with what's available, so you'll have to look into that. But for a 3D file format for your world, use X over 3DS

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson

Also, my website has no content. But it looks perty
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 20:40
If you're willing to spend the time converting this DarkBASIC Professional code over to C++ or .NET, depending on your respective platform since you didn't specify, try looking at this thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=10315&b=6

Paul

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Wilvis
Years of Service
User Offline
i am using Sparky's Collision Detection Plugin with .X models and it is working pretty good for me. It is alot better then the built in collision stuff.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 20:28
.3ds files will load but are not properly supported by the db engine so you may encounter strange things happening. If you can somehow use native .x files you will probably be better off with them, as opposed to .3ds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:16:23