Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Import your own levels into fpsc?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 15:22
Using traditional levels rather than segments,
I know the segment editor is quick and easy for those new to making game levels, but say your a whizz at making levels the traditional way, say you have lots of levels you would like to port into fpsc, has it been done

how are the segments handled in fpsc are they meshes, like in say C4 engine, or are they bsp like in the Torque engine or the old quake games, if the segments are meshes, are they instanced to keep the level size down and keep the game fast, its an easy way to build levels with the segments, but I often think, wow all those segments, that's a lot of pieces, that's got to add up someplace, I played one fpsc game recently, it hung in places and the collision was odd, either that are the frames dropped, Im not sure, just wondering if there is another way of getting the basic level geometry in, I guess one could use Dark Basic, but what I like about fpsc is that its all ready to set a game up, you don't have to do anything, its all there, I bet DB isn't like that, I bet its missing all kinds of stuff to make a fpsc, fps creator is ready right out of the box, and that's what I like, id just like to import my own levels into it, If I have them made, why waste them, just import them in to fpsc, has anyone done this, is it possible? Is it efficient in performance.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 15:45
here are some threads on how to do it.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99210&b=13

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=76907&b=13

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=75363&b=21

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96320&b=24

So it can be done, but I still have the questions above.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:20
This is also of value as well to keep file size small, Its amazing as well how many people don't bother to find out how an engine optimises as well, its important, Ive tried some fpsc games, boy they hang, you get glitches of freezing, not good at all, I'm sure this engine is bsp, and does not instance on all those segment sections, that's why I mention importing rooms in as one piece, as it would help with that, also do you need an outside wall, surly that is doubling the amount of meshes? brushes? why have 2 walls, whats it there for, I notice I think that magic segment maker may be able to have it so that you don't have an outside wall, so perhaps that would help to keep things small and fast.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 21:09
No biters yet then.

On importing levels into fpsc, is it best to have the object broken down into sections, like all the different walls and stuff, or one big mesh, also how big can a level section be, does it make a difference on performance, can you have multiple textures in the segment maker, I hear it gives better colision than the entity maker for this, plus entity maker will not be snapped to the grid, like the segments are.
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
Very interesting stuff fallen one. Especially about the double wall. I have been making sure the levels I have been creating have zero lag and I have never once dropped below 27 frames with a finished level. I am going to check out the links you provided tomorrow.

As far as segements being snapped to the grid that is one of my ultimate frustractions because it's so difficult to fine tune your product and make it realistic when every corner and hallway is so perfect. I have tried importing some houses I have in .x format using entity maker and it worked great but there were multiple textures for the house so it looked like crap. I'm not sure how to get the textures as one file.

Keep up the questions because they sure are making me think of things in a different way.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 13:24
Quote: "Very interesting stuff fallen one. Especially about the double wall. I have been making sure the levels I have been creating have zero lag and I have never once dropped below 27 frames with a finished level. I am going to check out the links you provided tomorrow.

As far as segements being snapped to the grid that is one of my ultimate frustractions because it's so difficult to fine tune your product and make it realistic when every corner and hallway is so perfect. I have tried importing some houses I have in .x format using entity maker and it worked great but there were multiple textures for the house so it looked like crap. I'm not sure how to get the textures as one file.

Keep up the questions because they sure are making me think of things in a different way. "

Segments aren't per say "snapped" to the grid entities on the other hand can be snapped to the grid or be moved to the desired spot.

Segments on the other hand has a preset value where the segment can be placed within the level editor to change this requires segment editor or by editing the *.*fps file found in your segment libary.This doesn't really give you the effect that you want.

If you really want a deformed level your not going to get it with the default segments you need to make your own segments or make use of bump mapping.....

Quote: "No biters yet then.

On importing levels into fpsc, is it best to have the object broken down into sections, like all the different walls and stuff, or one big mesh, also how big can a level section be, does it make a difference on performance, can you have multiple textures in the segment maker, I hear it gives better colision than the entity maker for this, plus entity maker will not be snapped to the grid, like the segments are"
A quick note on size here the smaller the better. One big mesh is going to be a huge problem...It's better to split the levels in to chunks...

As for colision dection problems mostly the problems arises when the imported mesh is to thick...

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 16:13
Can you import something with reversed normals? Instead of a room being 6 blocks all with 6 sides, it could be a single block with its normals reversed.

You have then reduced 36 sides down to 6, but its better than that as I notice that the normal way has double walls, so its an extra 24 sides making 60 sides or faces if we are being correct, that's only if a segment was made from 4 parts, no one makes rooms that small, they are made from lots of segments, if you had a room 6 squares by 6 squares, 36 floors and floors making 72, 36 walls, but they are doubled making another 72, 144 x 6 sides = 864 faces versus 6, no wonder the map files are huge and they hang, its not practical, its fine for into users, but more experienced users can use other methods to build there levels.

Im not sure how the levels are optimized, perhaps it uses instancing on all those segment parts, but I don't think so, I think it uses plain old BSP.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 16:21
Quote: "A quick note on size here the smaller the better. One big mesh is going to be a huge problem...It's better to split the levels in to chunks..."

On size you have 2 options, the size of the overall segment, and if its components are made of individual blocks parts, or one big continuous mesh. If this is BSP I can say that it will prefer lots of parts to the segment, not one big mesh, that leaves the overall size of the segment in question, if it can be the whole building or if it has to be split up, I am sure I heard there is a limit to the number of objects, I'm sure its 60 something, that would have to be confirmed as its an important issue.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:25:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:25:12