Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Non Descriptive Thread Titles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 15:53
MODS

Please can we have a crack down on threads being started with non descriptive titles.

Not only does it take twice as long to go into all these threads and find out what people are asking but they do nothing for those of us that actually use the search function to find out things for ourselves.

Using thread titles like 'please help', 'i have a problem', 'what's wrong ?' etc only serve to encourage people to start a new thread everytime they want to ask a question. It also creates unnecessary duplication of threads where the same question gets answered numerous times but isn't picked up in a search because the title does not reflect the subject matter.

Thanks
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 16:00
I concur. Another thing I feel is necessary is that when someone makes a thread about something that could have been found by a search, if someone could post a direct link to a thread with a solution, it would avoid the masses of threads that show up in a search with responses saying "use the search feature".

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 16:08 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 16:10
This information, while known among those who have been here for a while, is not posted in the "Please Read the enclosed before posting in the FPSC Boards! " thread above.

If it were, the MOD's would have reason to remove those posts which do not comply with the rules.

That being said, I don't think we need to get "all forum police" on the new guys. Most get it fairly quickly and are not a problem.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:43
Ok

If we are saying here that the only reason threads with non descriptive titles are considered to be ok is because there is nothing contradictory in the 'Please read the enclosed before posting in the FPSC boards!' thread. I hope that this could at least be considered for updating it.

After doing a search for 'please help' in each of the following FPSC forums I found the following results

FPSC Chat - 44 results total - 25 (over half) are non descriptive
FPSC Scripts - 14 results total - 7 (half) are non descriptive
FPSC Media - 36 results total - 11 (approx 1/3) are non descriptive
FPSC Bug Reports - 22 results total - 11 (half) are non descriptive

Threads should be for everyones benefit / interest and not just for providing 1 person with an opportunity to have their specific question answered before burying the thread.

I'm glad that more people are buying FPSC, joining and posting in the forums but if they are given the impression that they can get an answer to something by posting questions in this manner, it will ultimately reduce the effectiveness of the forums which I wouldn't want to see happen.

I will leave this in your capable hands
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:53
Kinda hard to enforce this all though. I agree with you totally. But you know as well as I do Most new people to forums don't lurk around for a wile seeing what information they can get on their own. They never read the stickies, and you cant 'force' people too.

What we end up getting is a bunch of "help me" threads, that then get duplicated because they didn't read that they were on post approval. All very hard to control by any mods, and you cant penalize people for lack of common sense(thought it would be nice).

Loc

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:18 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 15:21
Its true that you cant whack people for not doing research before they post. It is also true that when people post without doing the research they make alot of garbage on the forums. It is also true that it makes the forums almost useless to people that really need an answer or are seeking to help people in the best way they can.

It could be a graduating forum structure. Time and quality of posts would dicide where each forum member can post. Anyone can read all posts and the all higher level posters can post to the lower levels, but the lower level posters cannot post to the higher levels without aproval. That is taking the "Aproval" policy for new posters one step farther.

But then the mods dont get paid. That would be asking them to work harder for free. If there are mods that wouldnt mind that then it is a good idea. But over all it is impractial.

It is better to just lock an ill named thread and email the poster and give them an opportunity to correct thier mistake. But even that is asking the mods to do more than they do now.

What it boils down to is. What is tgc and the mods willing to do to reduce the unusable posts on the forums?

They would ask themselves: What action can we take that would not burden us and the mods more than it is worth?

Time will tell the answer to that question. We as the users just have to come to grips with the fact that we dont dicide what does and does happen on the forums as far as policy goes. So we wait to see what policy is next or we move on. It is up to the individual to dicide whitch one to do.

I hope that we all make the right dicisions for ourselves.

Smile, Be happy!!

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:51 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 20:53
Quote: "Smile, Be happy!! "

The best advice I've got on the forum yet!

Is there a way for the forum engine to check the posts' title and not allow certain words or short phrases?

Like the most common.... Please Help... I'm a newbie... etc.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:04
I agree with getting rid of threads that are ambiguous. The best we can do right now, is to lock the thread with a messege letting the poster know to be more dexcriptive in their threads.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:48 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 21:49
It's a real shame thread titles can't be changed, that would solve the problem, although not at its source, but to be honest you can't really fix the source of the problem anyway.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 21:26
Ive got an idea; how about asking TGC if you could make it so that a new account has to view certain pages (the stickies) Before they are alloud to post. This would stop all the "read the stickies" threads.
Tyrano

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 03:33
Points and opionions of all forum members are noted. Thank you for your input it is appreciated.

Mods can take action to curb deterioration of the forums.

Moderators can and will take any action they see as necessary to keep these forums running in a fair and orderly fashion.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
In the search option when you enter in a search phrase what is the search looking for? The title of the thread? The words in the message?

Also, the google forum search is that for just fpsc or does it open all the threads from thegamecreators forums?
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 21:44
Quote: "the google forum search is that for just fpsc or does it open all the threads from thegamecreators forums?"

It searches all the forums 500,000 pages

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:22
I do find nondescriptive thread titles as annoying as the next member.
At times it makes the job of moderation take longer than it should.
The easiest and most sucessful way to counteract this without having to go all forum police on people is for people to use the search function before they post.
If they don't actually have to make a new thread since they already have their answer there is no new thread title.
Newcomers will undoubtedly post like this until the end of time.
Most catch on quickly and don't do it for very long.

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 14:25
I was looking to find out how to change the topic of the thread (like put in one of those [Fixed] thingos, and i found no thread on how to do it! does anyone know how? on and btw how this relates to this thread is that there are probably threads on this but nothing turns up even when i search "change topic" or "change title".

Lessen The List! (see the forum on my site)
Roborb = [00------------] - first models
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 15:39
You have to contact a Moderator in order to get your title changed.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 18:18
I think the best way is to not go into these threads and ignore them, then the poster will either learn to give a more descriptive title or they will get angry and leave, either way, we all win.

[url=www.x-games.mdhost.info]X-Games[/url]
[url=fps-files.com]FPS-Files[/url]
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 09:00
KiethC your sig is absolutely amazing, what did you use to make it?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 15:49
I used Paint Shop Pro X and a few plugins I bought from Alienskin.

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 03:42
That fiery swirl and the g? was that from pspx too?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 19:18:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 19:18:45