Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fahrenheit style game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 18:34 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:12
I have been thinking of making a fahrenheit style game but FPS. Can I have comments on the idea before I put any work into it?

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 18:45
What does that mean?

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:08 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:14
fahrenheit is a game set in modern times. You are controlled by some wierd thing (I still dunno what since I havn't completed the game yet) and kill a man in the rest room of a diner. You didn't choose to kill him somthing forced you to. You have to escape the diner and you find yourself in a huge conspiracy involving a prophecy!

the game has a website but it is down atm.

www.fahrenheitgame.com

this guide should give you a brief idea of the plot - I havn't read it all as to avoid revealing the plot before I finish the game

http://guides.gamepressure.com/indigoprophecy/

I'm not looking to steal the plot or steal the game just to do a game like fahrenheit!

=]

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:29
Wait, are you talking about Indigo Prophecy? I love that game!

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:50 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:13
yeah - I bought it 3 days ago - it is also called fahrenheit

and what are your comments on me making that game - of course I will probably make a piece of **** and I cant exactly do voice acting but I am a pretty good scripter and modeler!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:04
I would get rid of your name, or else the mods will.

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:11 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 20:11
I was making an Indigo Prophecy type game but I think you should do it. And also your not allowed to post your age on the forums.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:25 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:13
i got rid of my age but my name wasn't there anyway :S

I'm currently making some furniture for the diner

Now will somone give me their input?

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:45 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 20:46
Inspire said:
Quote: "I would get rid of your name, or else the mods will.
"

Inspire,

For my own reference. What name are you refering to that the mods will get rid of? I didnt see any names in this thread that violate the AUP.

foxking = King of Foxes?
Inspire = you seek to inspre?
AlanC = the users name?
Incense = I just like the stuff.

Why would the mods get rid of any of thoes names?

The game sounds really cool, foxking.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:00 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:15
humph - anyone know a piece of software that can convert .obj/.an8 -> .x (yes I do model in anim8or)

the ones I've tried cost money to do .x

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:10 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 21:12
foxking said:

Quote: "anyone know a piece of software that can convert .obj/.an8 -> .x"

You might look into Blender. Be informed though that it is hard to learn, and you may need to download some plugins. I have seen some really good work come from it though. They do have a support forum of thier own also and it is free.

Good luck!

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:39 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:15
I found conv3ds.exe

.3ds -> .x

so I am fine there

I'm currently sorting through street segments and stuff and I have chosen a name:

Celcius (ty conjured)

Screenies on their way as soon as I finish the opening level.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 04:41
Haha, I'm sorry, I meant your age. I am half asleep.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 05:57
Quote: "I have been thinking of making a fahrenheit style game but FPS. Can I have comments on the idea before I put any work into it?"

Quote: "I'm not looking to steal the plot or steal the game just to do a game like fahrenheit!"

Maybe you can call your "Celsius" since it's kinda the same thing, only different.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 14:12 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:13
well I thought of centigrade but it didn't sound good so I settled on dark prophecy - I might do celcius

I've just realised how much scripting it will take to do this game :l

I'll probably track down that 'doom' face health bar thing and do that sort of thing for mental health like in the game!

edit: I just saw your street segments - I would buy em but I've got no money atm.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 18:38 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:15
okay no more suggestions I guess

I guess I'll have to pull a team together for this game.

I was a pretty good modeler but I havn't done it in ages so I'm rusty

I've done most of the first level - I just need to sort out street segments add a couple more blocks and add some more entities - and I will be using mainly custom textures for walls (god bless signs IV)

I'll have to learn UV mapping...again... and stuff :l

Who's interested?

and dont bother trying to flame me like some people did to AI - he's got alot of potential just orginization is lax...

and as this is not showcase I am not required to post a screenie yet... or am I? Let me know if I have to

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it would be exactly Fahrnheit because you can't have your character doing button bashing things!

PLS JOIN I really do
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 21:42
Team requests are frouned apon dude; try doing it over MSN with someone.
Tyrano

1 hour Kalspher Demo soon to be released for public BETA!
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:10 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:15
It wasn't a direct request I merely implied it.

It's not identical to fahrenheit, as close as fpsc will allow - mental health bar,cars, cutscenes?, murder and alot of things you can do!

My main level keeps getting corrupted so I keep having to do system restores ¬.¬

but it seems to be going great - Just having a few problems with some uv maps.

What I love most about fahrenheit is it isn't charge out with guns - you have to methodically think your way through it all!

I obviously cant have the same freeform storyline as fahrenheit but I'm doing the best I can.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:24
AI hasn't been flamed just some people tend to think he might never get to the end of his game. I don't but then again those people do have their reasons for thinking that way.

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:52 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:13
I can understand that but if they feel that way just dont read all his/her topics. If they have somthing better to do then do it. They could be busy working on their game instead.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 02:24
Quote: "Well it would be exactly Fahrnheit because you can't have your character doing button bashing things!"

What do you mean by "button bashing things"?

Do you mean press a key on the keyboard to make an action happen?

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 03:51
This will be a great achievement if you can pull it off

If you get as far as having an equivalent first chapter up to the point when you get in the taxi and get taken back to your flat it would be nice to see. Especially after seeing the potential of Rolfy's urban level.

The first part isn't too big in size (bearing in mind the buildings cannot be entered except for the diner) or long so it would present a very suitable challenge for FPSC.

As you say moving cars would be perfectly possible using waypoints and you can even get a free animated snow decal from fpsfree.com which would be a nice touch.

Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy has film quality like ambient music so you might be lucky to get hold of some that does the original game justice but hopefully you will. Also a lot of hud making and audio I fear for all the conversations etc but if you've got Signs it might speed things up a bit.

Conjured Entertainment - Yes, Fahrenheit has button pressing action sequences similar to Shenmue where you have to follow certain key presses in order to achieve a particular goal.

As for the name, if you wanted an alternative to those already mentioned, how about something a little different from variations on the the existing names e.g. 'Lucid Dream'. Just an idea

Slightly off topic but I've been practicing lucid dreaming for a while now and would recommend it to anyone, especially gamers. Your first lucid dream is like experiencing true virtual reality for the first time (well as close to the holodeck as your going to get for a while anyway). Total awareness and appreciation of your dream world, with the ability to do anything you want, make considered decisions and even a certain level of control.

Good luck with the game
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 10:33 Edited at: 17th Apr 2007 15:27
Yeah, I'm going to probably get myself a signs 4 serial.

Quote: "you can even get a free animated snow decal from fpsfree.com which would be a nice touch."

Snow? I have no snow segments just decals so it wouldn't be very realistic - and I wouldn't be able to get footprints as far as I know.

Quote: "If you get as far as having an equivalent first chapter up to the point when you get in the taxi and get taken back to your flat it would be nice to see. Especially after seeing the potential of Rolfy's urban level."

Yes, I am duplicating the first level (going to have to script everything but I think it should be worth it!

and whats lucid dreaming? any tuts? xD

and I will be using that slow motion kit (fpsfree.com I think is where it came from)

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 03:41
Quote: "Yeah, I'm going to probably get myself a signs 4 serial"

I would definately get the full unrestricted version of Signs 4 if I were you. It will save you a lot of time and is pretty much essential for any FPSC developer regardless of experience.

Quote: "Snow? I have no snow segments just decals so it wouldn't be very realistic - and I wouldn't be able to get footprints as far as I know."

The 'Rain & Snow' download from the decals section of the www.fpsfree.com website contains 2 sets of folders. The first is a folder containing the animated decals for rain and snow and the second folder contains a snow segment which will solve your lack of snow segments issue.

I've attached a screenshot of the snow segment texture with the snow decal next to it in Paint Shop Pro so you can get an idea. You could edit these as necessary to meet your requirements.

Also I've put together a quick video for you demonstrating the snow segments with some road segments I found and animated snow decals in a setting vaguely similar to the opening chapter of Fahrenheit. Obviously you will be taking much longer over re creation of the level, including buildings etc and doing it all properly but this will save you a little testing time finding out if you like whats already available for your level. I will upload the video immediately after this post for you.

Quote: "and whats lucid dreaming? any tuts? xD"

Lucid dreaming is 'the conscious perception of one's state while dreaming, resulting in a much clearer experience and sometimes enabling direct control over the content of the dream, a realistic world that is to some degree in the control of the dreamer. The complete experience from start to finish is called a lucid dream.

The validity of lucid dreaming as a scientifically verified phenomenon is well-established. Researchers such as Allan Hobson with his neurophysiological approach to dreaming have helped to push the understanding of lucid dreaming into a less speculative realm.'

Basically lucid dreaming is the ultimate virtual reality rush and you effectively experience your dreams in real time, totally concious of your own self and totally aware of the dream world around you. I've had several lucid dreams now and I will never look at dreaming in the same way again. Bottom line is it's amazing, completely natural and free.

The key thing is to train yourself to reality check aspects of your dreams which are referred to as 'dream signs' to the point where you can definitively say to yourself "oh my god im in a dream". once you have achieved this congratulations, you are now lucid and are about to experience a lucid dream.

Do yourself a favour and check out this website for more information on lucid dreaming techniques and general subject matter.

http://www.dreamviews.com/index.php

You won't regret it

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 03:46
As promised here is my video demonstrating some freely available snow segments / road segments and animated snow decals.

I thought if you were going to go all out for a totally accurate representation of the opening sequence to Fahrenheit this might interest you.

Keep updates coming with progress!

Attachments

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 03:51
Nomad : has someone been watching too much Waking Life?

Gotta love Linklater and K Dick man! Dreams are something that have had my interest for a while now, and I've been trying to Lucid dream for a while. My issue is that when I reach that trigger point, when I realise I'm dreaming, it defocusses me, and I wake up.

anyway. On topic:

THis is a cool Idea dude, and you can play alot with little scripts to make nice puzzles, even button bashing sequences using keypressed and hud icons with a timer.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing some evidence soon.

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I have a vague Idea of the plot forming in my mind

and progress wise? I'm working on gettting the action icon at the top of the screen to work :l It only appears once and never comes back and fades out twice.

The black JPG transparency was being a pig because of jpg turning some bits black and not true black.

So The pics have a blue background & border instead - that snow looks pretty good - but where did you get the street segments? Mine have no texture which is a pain so I'll replace them eventually.

Quote: "thought if you were going to go all out for a totally accurate representation of the opening sequence to Fahrenheit this might interest you."

I doubt it will be 100% acurate - prehaps 60-70% since there will be things you can't do *cough*drag his body into the toilet stall*cough*

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 00:40
Glad to hear things are moving along

Quote: "but where did you get the street segments?"

I found the street segments at www.uberdroid.com
Just click the 'FPSC Addons' link and theres a bunch of free models you can download.

Only thing is there are 2 links for roads, 1 for road segments and the other for larger road segments. The larger road segments link doesn't work and I had trouble with the .x meshes which come in the roads download so ended up just taking the textures and buidling new segments using Signs 4. Then just rotated the segments in FPSC to get both sides of the road with sidewalk.

If you have any trouble with the road segments i.e. you get a mesh error when importing them into the map editor as I did, let me know and I'll upload an FPSC ready version for you along with a scaled up segment for some larger sections of road.

Quote: "and I wouldn't be able to get footprints as far as I know."

The only thing I can think of here would be to put some trigger zones down and spawn overlays of some footprints to go over the top of the snow segments. There might be a better way of doing it but I can't think of one right now.

To do this setup a trigger zone and enter the name of your footprint overlay in the 'If Used' field and change the AI main to 'plrinzoneactivateused.fpi'. Then place the footprint overlay on the same square as the trigger zone and edit its properties to 'spawn at start: No', 'Number to spawn: 1'. Then change the AI main field to 'appearspawn.fpi'

@Butter fingers

Quote: "I've been trying to Lucid dream for a while. My issue is that when I reach that trigger point, when I realise I'm dreaming, it defocusses me, and I wake up."

Don't let this stop you trying it's very common, I've had it happen numerous times. The general advice here is that at the moment you become lucid take a moment to relax, breathe in and out and allow yourself to form a strong connection with the dream by taking everything in. Obviously the best time to become lucid is in the deepest part of your sleep phase when you are unlikely to wake up and will be totally immersed in the experience. Think of it like playing a round of poker when you have a near unbeatable hand but surpress the feelings of excitement in order to concentrate. After a few moments you will be fully immersed in the experience then you can totally relax and have lots of fun. There are also some techniques on the website I mentioned which deal with staying lucid within a dream e.g. have at least 1 thing that you want to do in your mind will help you focus and shape the dream so that you can achieve it. Flying is one of the more popular ones but really you can pretty much decide to do anything you want
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 09:52 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 09:54
hmmm - my street segments from uberdroid have no texture they are just shiny light-grey almost white!

I think I'm going to have to texture them myself.

and I have laid down the snow segments but I cannot find any snow decals anywhere

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 02:34
Quote: "they are just shiny light-grey almost white!"

The only time you should experience white segments / objects in the FPSC map editor is if the texture reference in the segments .fps / entities .fpe is pointing to the wrong place.

Quote: "think I'm going to have to texture them myself."

Ok let me save you some time here. As offered earlier in the thread, I've put together a download for you which contains the following, all of which as FPSC ready

- Road / Street segment, normal size with yellow markings and sidewalk

- Large Road / Street entity - This is the same as above but 4 times larger is size. It can still be placed sequentially by using the 'b' key and rotated as necessary

- Snow Segment, normal size with snow texture

- Aminated Snow Decal with all necessary files. Falling snow which can be placed as required

I've included a read me in the download explaining where to put the folders so check this first if you are unsure where they go.

Quote: "but I cannot find any snow decals anywhere"

Now you have one!

Attachments

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks alot

Sorry for late reply I have been away for a couple of days

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 00:51
Your Welcome

Incidentally there is one further situation where you might experience white objects in your map editor.

I've been doing a bunch of R&D with normal mapping and shaders with FPSC and I've noticed that occasionally an normal mapped entity will appear white if moved around in the map editor until firmly placed.
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm Interestting...

and I completed fahrenheit about 3 minutes ago

The ending of it was rubbish IMO - it was so easy! I expected harder!

and for celcius I know what the plot will be

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:26:02