Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / projectors, light and dark

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:22
have you ever seen projectors used in unreal ed, you can project using an alpha either light or shadow onto objects.
What it does is project the image onto objects, so we could have an alpha of window panes and project them onto the floor, this would give a very stark image of light on the floor that couldn't be done with normal lighting, its good for adding in shadows or light onto a scene.

I guess you could go one better and be able to use full colour images, then you could project images onto walls like graffiti and stuff.

can it be done in fpsc?

also can the way light works in fpsc be changed, engines strive to get soft blended graduating shadows, what if I wanted really hard ones, not soft at all but like hard edged shadows, is that possible, can we play with how the shadows work, must we have nice soft shadows, what if the game needed big dirty black shadows, with no softness at all, kind of like silhouettes.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:40
Answer to both of your questions is buy the Unreal engine.

Quote: "The cost is US $350,000 for one of the available Unreal Engine 2 platforms,"

Source: http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/licensing/terms.shtml

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 22:10 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 22:12
Yep, that'll do it. Just remember to say your company earns 10million a year when registering though. You'll also need one license per person i think.

If you get torque game engine you can customize the shadows in coding. But to be honest i think you're better off just texturing the floors with black area over them.

evil lies within all of us...we just don't know it yet

www.freewebs.com/3dfpsc
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 23:14
You'll also need one license per person i think.

that license isnt per seat, its per title.

What you could do if it was just on the floor is use a flat poly with your image using an alpha, and have the thing on it you want, then just put it the place you want it, it wouldnt work to be cast over stuff, but you could use it for light hitting a floor from a window.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 23:05
If you didn't have a third o a million dollars to spare, you could just create very very complicated illumination maps with black and white images on a corner of the crate and part on the wall or somthing. It could work.
Total Cost= 4 hours work + $5 internet bill $0.99 for the electric, $10 of coffee. But still easier than persuading unreal that you are some rich entrepeneur that earns more in a year than everybody else in your town put together. Believe me, I've been there.

Your signature has been deleted due to the fact that it was far too humourous to possibly show.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:23:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:23:59