Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Hints on Lighting your game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 01:28
Ever posted your game on showcase to have people say "It needs Lightmapping"? Its true though a good game needs proper lighting to look its best. Lots of people have added the red or green lighting effect, but does that make your game look better or worse? If your new im just giving you a few hints on lighting your game.

Lets start off simple, use the [ and ] keys to make the range of a light smaller or bigger. This helps adding a realism to your game, because if you make it fill the WHOLE room it looks like a red or green or blue room where evrything is the same colour.

Next is what I call highlighting, its almost like using invisible arrrows to point out the important stuff. For example if you game has a table with a key on it that opens a door but your worried the player might not notice it because its so small. Use a light and make it big enough to fit on top of the table so when the player walks into the room he/ she will notice the key first thng because the rest of the room will also becaome darker. Got the basic idea? Lest move on.

Next is placing lights in logical places. If you put a couple lamp posts from the WWII library down and test it out you will notice the lamp only PRETENDS to be lit. It looks lit but makes no light. The easy way to fix this is by grabbing a yellow or white light (these work best) and shrinkign the range so it surrounds the lamp you can play with how much you want it to cover but keep it small as to make it look like the light is yellow not the room. Also if you use a hanger bay in any sci fi game you will notice those white lines on the wall? I liek to think of them as little lights. to make them actual lights grab a white light and make it as small as possible then place them on each line. This may take a while depending on your room but it looks neat in teh end. Its great for horror because the rest of the room looks darker.

Hope that help anyone please post comments please.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
is there a way to have more frames per second =\ i have noticed some times the fps is really low, and makes the game look as if its lagging =(
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 12:10
Quote: "Ever posted your game on showcase to have people say "It needs Lightmapping"? Its true though a good game needs proper lighting to look its best. Lots of people have added the red or green lighting effect, but does that make your game look better or worse? If your new im just giving you a few hints on lighting your game.

Lets start off simple, use the [ and ] keys to make the range of a light smaller or bigger. This helps adding a realism to your game, because if you make it fill the WHOLE room it looks like a red or green or blue room where evrything is the same colour.

Next is what I call highlighting, its almost like using invisible arrrows to point out the important stuff. For example if you game has a table with a key on it that opens a door but your worried the player might not notice it because its so small. Use a light and make it big enough to fit on top of the table so when the player walks into the room he/ she will notice the key first thng because the rest of the room will also becaome darker. Got the basic idea? Lest move on.

Next is placing lights in logical places. If you put a couple lamp posts from the WWII library down and test it out you will notice the lamp only PRETENDS to be lit. It looks lit but makes no light. The easy way to fix this is by grabbing a yellow or white light (these work best) and shrinkign the range so it surrounds the lamp you can play with how much you want it to cover but keep it small as to make it look like the light is yellow not the room. Also if you use a hanger bay in any sci fi game you will notice those white lines on the wall? I liek to think of them as little lights. to make them actual lights grab a white light and make it as small as possible then place them on each line. This may take a while depending on your room but it looks neat in teh end. Its great for horror because the rest of the room looks darker.

Hope that help anyone please post comments please"

Well thanks for stating the obvious MR Obvious.That white little lights you "liek" is called illumination and makes use of a shader called illuminationent or illuminationmap.

Quote: "Lets start off simple, use the [ and ] keys to make the range of a light smaller or bigger. This helps adding a realism to your game, because if you make it fill the WHOLE room it looks like a red or green or blue room where evrything is the same colour."
Some more pretty obvious statements...Pretty much every one should know this in any case.I have to say these are not really hints nor tips....This is general knowlegde.

Not to shoot you down or any thing.But if you going to try and write up a tutorial for light mapping a visual tutorial would be better suited.Pretty much have not even touched the surface yet.

Good luck

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 12:20
Quote: "is there a way to have more frames per second =\ i have noticed some times the fps is really low, and makes the game look as if its lagging =( "

Levels that are too big and have too many eneties are the biggest causes of low frame rates...What happens often as well is custom content that causes low frame rates...

Grunge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 15:13
Quote: "Well thanks for stating the obvious MR Obvious.That white little lights you "liek" is called illumination and makes use of a shader called illuminationent or illuminationmap.
"

Well Sooorrryyy! I didnt relise that newbies to the program would know as much as a guy thats been useing FPSC for about a year or more! The program is for people that dont know how to program and might not know the proper terms. Ever think of that?

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Grunge, I think that new users might get something out of your info.

wizard of id, for some it is obvious and others it is not.

I am not new to FPSC. Some of the questions that I ask are so hard they go unanswered, or I have to wait for someone with extensive know how to answer them. I get alot of replies that have words like "Maybe" and "I think" and "I havent tried this but". Mostly I find that my questions have already been answered somewhere on the forum or in the manual or tips guide. At least Grunge stated something that was 100% useful, even if it was to newer FPSC users.

Grunge, Alot people might try to shoot you down even though they say that is not what they are doing. They say mean things to you disguised as advise. Dont let it get to you.

If people keep stating the obvious then the Mods dont have to and that makes thier job easier.

Grunge, A picture is worth alot in a tut. Polish your tuts a little in notepad before they hit the forum. Be sure that the usefulness of them is so obvious that no one could miss it. Polishing, pics, usefulness and the title of the thread should keep you from being flame bait.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 18:48
Grunge, I think that new users might get something out of your info.

wizard of id, for some it is obvious and others it is not.

I am not new to FPSC. Some of the questions that I ask are so hard they go unanswered, or I have to wait for someone with extensive know how to answer them. I get alot of replies that have words like "Maybe" and "I think" and "I havent tried this but". Mostly I find that my questions have already been answered somewhere on the forum or in the manual or tips guide. At least Grunge stated
Quote: "something that was 100% useful, even if it was to newer FPSC users.

Grunge, Alot people might try to shoot you down even though they say that is not what they are doing. They say mean things to you disguised as advise. Dont let it get to you.

If people keep stating the obvious then the Mods dont have to and that makes thier job easier.

Grunge, A picture is worth alot in a tut. Polish your tuts a little in notepad before they hit the forum. Be sure that the usefulness of them is so obvious that no one could miss it. Polishing, pics, usefulness and the title of the thread should keep you from being flame bait."

I'll rather say nothing more...Because I will start a fight....

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:41
Changing the subject rapidly; you may want to insert somthing to do with Dynamic/Static lights, define the differences and so on, then applying scripts to the dynamic ones etc etc

Your signature has been deleted due to the fact that it was far too humourous to possibly show.
kenny the reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 22:55
thanks for the help Grunge. im new to fpsc and didnt really understand lightmapping.

www.freewebs.com/gearheadgames

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:19:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:19:53