Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / On screen buttons to control the character.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 03:07
I am running out of ideas to use for fpsc beyond as a intro for beginners to creating fpsc.
so I am guessing this is a no.

Don't control the movement of the character with the keys and mouse, use buttons that are on the screen, so the mouse doesnt move the look view, it is used to click on buttons on the screen, the buttons will do the movement and turn the player left and right plus shoot.

yep that sounds like a strange way to control a character with perfectly good keys and a mouse, its for a specific application that why.

And if this cant be done, use a joystick instead of keys and mouse.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 03:12
nope and nope, neither are possible. But stop being so negative. First you need to play with FPSC within it's limits, then you'll begin to understand how you can stretch it. At the moment you're just coming up with all these blue sky ideas, and not actually getting anywhere.

Heres a hint. When you have an Idea like this, try and implement it on your own.

If you cant figure it, search it.

If all else fails... post.

But chances are, if you're at the point of posting, and you can find no reference (or only "it can't be done's") then you're outa luck.

Plus at the moment, you're posting all these good ideas, which people might just take and use, and you won't get to be the amazing person who does it first.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 05:42
no joystick, hell, plus no on screen buttons, thats the amusment market out right there,

yes ideas are valuable, but they also take a lot of effort to make as well, that cuts a lot of people out straight there, plus I know the industry and the markets, so what I intend stuff for most hobbyists wont know about these markets, or even know where to go and who to talk to even if they did, so I think they are safe.

I think the engine needs broadening a little, it is a fps creator, but it would have broader appeal with it being able to be modded more, what I like is its simplicity, even if you don't use the engine for a project you can prototype with it, the engine could be very flexible to do loads of things, its a crying shame it seems it doesn't allow some things as you could make so many different games, its such a shame. Id love to stetch it and see what it can do beyond its original purpose but there are just some little oversights that stop that, its such a same, otherwise I could use this for a lot of different projects, Ill have to put them in the suggestions forums for changes for the future editions.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 05:45
Quote: "Ill have to put them in the suggestions forums for changes for the future editions."

Hahahahaha pop came out my nose with that one..

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "no joystick, hell, plus no on screen buttons, thats the amusment market out right there, "

*sigh* Have you not seen what amazing games people like butterfingers are making even with these constraints? There is lots of things you can do in fpsc - just some things are harder.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 23:48
I don't know anyone seriosly into gaming who uses a joystick/ppad when they're playing games. It's widely accepted that keyboard/mouse is the best control system for FPS, and RPGs. Lets do a little math here, as you
Quote: "know the industry and the markets"

-FPSC can only make games for PC, therefore from here on we exclude the console gamer market.
-FPS and RPG (including the sims etc) are the biggest selling PC games.
-Both of these are best played with keyboard&mouse.
therefore
Quote: "no joystick....thats the amusment market out right there"

Well not really, considering the majorety of FPSC's deomgraphic don't use one.

And before you say "hey you cut out the bit about buttons in that quote", well, it wasn't neccessary, as FPSC does support onscreen buttons, but as Filya said that would involve a bit of extra scripting and digging around.

I don't mean to get at you man, I'm just trying to get the prophecy across;

Using FPSC is like being the parent of an autistic child. You have to understand that it is NEVER going to be able to do alot of things*, but you love it for what it excells at.

*well, lets put our hope in x10....or 10x or whatever it's called

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 00:40
butters that was beautiful lol, brought a tear to my eye
Quote: "Using FPSC is like being the parent of an autistic child. You have to understand that it is NEVER going to be able to do alot of things*, but you love it for what it excells at."

they should use that on the site as a user quote lol

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 00:42 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 00:43
BTW you can use a joystick/gamepad or whatever with FPSC although,as has been stated before,the keyboard/mouse combination works best according to what I have been told by those that have tried the joystick thing.
Google joytokey and you should find what you need to use a joystick.
Is there anything about FPSC that you do like?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 19:54
Quote: "Is there anything about FPSC that you do like?"

yea, it costs only 30 quid and its about the least hassle program to make games that I have seen. It has pluses and minuses like all engines.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 21:55 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 21:56
what in the bloody blue ball blazes is a quid? That anything like a squid? Why oh why would I pay in squid, seems messy?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 22:08
I can't swear to it but I think quid is money...you know... dollars,pounds,quid...

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 22:22
quid2 /kwɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural quid.
British Informal. one pound sterling.
[Origin: 1680–90; orig. uncert.]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=quid&x=37&y=12

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:18:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:18:29