Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Your head modelled and rigged for animation. With a specular map and a bump map and all completely FREE of charge!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 21:30 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 21:35
I will make a 3D model of your head. I will provide it in a 1k, 2k, 4k or 9k poly version. I will include a specular map and a bump map and it will be fully rigged for animation ... oh and it will be completely free of charge.

Anyone who reads 3D World magazine will know that on last months coverdisc there was a copy of GenHead. It is a software tool that allows you to create 3D models of heads from photographs. There is a trial download on the website but the copy on the coverdisc differs from the download by allowing for 7 days of full comercial use.

So, I am going to take them up on that offer and make as many heads as I can in 7 days. I have got until 1st of May to register and 7 days after that. So, between now and 1st of May I need to collect as many photos of peoples heads as I can.

If you want me to make a model of your head, then I will need two photo's from you. One full face and one profile. Please take a look at this short video tutorial which demonstrates the best way to take your pictures.

I only have limited spare time and only have seven days. So, it really is a case of first come - first served.

If you are interested you can either send me an email with the pictures attatched or post them here if you don't mind people seeing your mug shot Also, let me know how many poly's you want it to be made of.

What I would like in return is the right to do what I like with any head I create. You will still get your own copy and you can do whatever you want with it but I may, in the future, want to create something with it myself and I need to know that I can do that with out having to email everybody seperately to ask permission. If I do use your model then it will of course be absolutely anonymous and no-one will ever know it is you.

Dark Angel_1246
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 22:38
Interesting. But No No not my head! lol

Intel Pentiuim D 3.4 Prossesor - P5W DH Deluxe Dual Graphics Motherboard - 512MB ATI X1600 Graphics Card - 2GB 5400 DDR2 RAM - 320GB Harddrive - www.bristlebusters.com
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 11:03
Yeah! I'd think 9k woul just about half cover the hideous deformations on my head.... hehe (it'th a mon'thter) <-said with a lisp.

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
Kelebrindae
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 11:30
Ooooh, very interesting!

But for your information: my morphology is so way outside any human standard that all the face modeling tools I've tried before committed suicide by spontaneous hardrive combustion when I loaded my mugshots. I am in phrenology what the Worm Holes are in modern physics. And for my nose, you'll need a 16:9 screen.

So, just by scientific interest (and because cruelty is fun), I'll try to send you my photos ASAP...

Ideas: memories of things which did not occur yet...
http://keleb.free.fr/codecorner
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 12:04
I'd love a skull!

Seriously, if you could make a skull with this software then that would be very handy. I have a great idea for my own head sculpting system, but I need a reasonably poly skull model to use as a template in the editor. It'd be like modeling with plasticine on a real skull, it would supremely rock too because it'll generate a normal map too based on the high resolution sculpture data.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 19:49 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 21:16
I don't know how a skull would turn out but I will give it a go. I go to physio on fridays and they have a full skeleton hanging up. So, I will take my camera next week and see what I can do with it ... unless you already have a skull laying around and can send me the images.

Crit
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a skull for you:
http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/anatomy/skullviews.jsp

I can't give you my picture because I'm in the witness protection program. j/k.
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 01:51
I am to old and ugle
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 02:03 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 02:04
Scraggle, You have to model Lee's head, if it'll fit.

We could set it up, with Lip Sync, and have Lee like Max Headrom (image below for the younger folk) insult us meer mortals and our pathetic projects.

"Ca..Ca.C.C...Catch the Wave! DarkBasic!!!"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 05:59
I also got a copy of GenHead with my 3DWorld. Really is a nice and easy to work with program.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 06:40
I cannot send you a picture of my head at this time.

A picture of a Jack-O-Lantern might serve, if you have one.

Whatever...
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 13:01 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 13:02
I downloaded the save-disabled trial version so that I could get in some practice before installing the 7 day unrestricted version.
I had a go at a skull just to see how it would turn out. I wasn't very optimistic and it was bloody hard convincing the software that the nose was inverted and that the skull had no lips or ears.
This is how it turned out:

@VanB Having seen how a skull turns out, do you still want one made with this software?

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 13:11
It still looks great Though!

Alsan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 14:16 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 14:16
Is it possible for you to make a head from this guy? : http://3d.sk/index.php?id=10&search_query=&action=load&do=photosess&thumbnail=sm&rws=4&pid=32133&sid=&sess=161

I'm 15 years and from Germany - Sorry for the English!
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 14:10
Hey Scraggle...
how did you manage to get an accurate picture of my mug shot? I hav'nt posted one yet cause I couldn't decide which head I'd like modeled first hehe..

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 14:38
Thanks for giving it a bash Scraggle, but it's not really what I need - kinda need a more accurate skull because it's gonna be used as a basis for head models - like you'll start with a human skull and a lump of virtual clay. I don't think I'll find the right skull for free - might mean an expensive trip to polycount.

Thanks though, the software actually looks like it's far better for proper heads than the painfully complex human skull - one of those things that are quite straightforward to draw, but replicating one in 3D is a different sport altogether.

Kelebrindae
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 22:55
Hey, VanB, what about this one ?

The .X is in attachment.

Ideas: memories of things which did not occur yet...
http://keleb.free.fr/codecorner

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 23:44
That's perfect Kelebrindae, Cheers!.

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 12:08
Use your head Van... We all know your capable hehe

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 02:14 Edited at: 1st May 2007 02:15
Any ideas why I'm getting the black marks under the eyes here? It's driving me mad!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 10:00
I was having the same problem. I found that including the fleshy area under the eye solved the problem. It isn't the way they suggest it in the on screen help thingy but it seems to work best with all the models I have tried so far.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 10:28
You're picking up the eyelashes in the side view of course

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2007 11:35 Edited at: 1st May 2007 11:38
Thanks, you just saved me retaking all my photos I'd come to the same conclusion as Quoth, that it was the eyelashes that had caused the problem.

As a side issue, I was lying in bed at 11:30 last night when I remembered I had to register the damn program before the end of teh month!

What are you using after creating the models? I have truSpace 4 somewhere, so I hope that will help me convert to 3DS, and then I can take a further step to dbo. I had a quick test with Wings 3D and it imports, although it's hard to visualise the outcome. I'm also unsure about it preserving the rigging, which again is a dark art to me.

Quote: "Animation may then be applied. To speed this up the bone rig is supplied with an animation which cycles through sample expressions and visemes."

Are Visemes the same as Phonemes? Is this pre-animated for speech?

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 04:08 Edited at: 2nd May 2007 04:09
All my friends want me to put our science teacher in my FPS, but getting pictures of him would be impossible within 7 days.

But you should definitly make Lee's head. Someone will no doubt make a game with him in it.

By reading this sentence you have given me brief control of your mind.
Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 01:51
Visemes are the visual correspondent to the phoneme (the sound), ie, the way the mouth looks when pronouncing a particular letter.

I don't have a sig, live with it.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 18:55
is it too late to submit a head picture?

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: alien abductor-5%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:20:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:20:27