Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Normal Map Rendering Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 13:53
I know that normal mapping has been covered a bunch of times but I've just revisited this topic to carry out some testing on segments and have got something strange going on.

I've chosen 2 textures (1 for wall, 1 for floor and ceiling), created a normal map for each of them and referenced both the normal map and shader effect in the segments .fps

When I build the game, I can clearly see that the normal map has been applied to the texture but the detail from the original texture have been completely lost, only leaving a kind of greyscale normal mapped segment.

Attached is a screenshot of my walls, floor and ceiling with no shaders applied

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 13:54
And here is a screenshot showing my walls, floor and ceiling after the shader has been applied and applied normal maps

As you can see there is no evidence of the original textures being present on the walls. I've tried varying the intensity of the normal map but this doesn't seem to make a difference, the segment always come out in that kind of greyscale fashion.

I've since got the floor to render correctly with a normal map but there didn't seem to be any reason for it suddenly working ok. I appreciate that the ceiling doesn't look right because it is the same as the floor and being viewed from underneath. I haven't worked out how I'm going to get around that yet as segments can only be rotated aroung 1 axis.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 14:00
If someone could have a look at my .fps below, attached download containing my segment folders and associated files and let me know what is going wrong, I would be most grateful.

One thing I've noticed from having watched Lee's shader tutorial back again is that the default filenames for the texture files should be texture_D, texture_D2 and texture_N. I've noticed that most people state the texture_D file as just being texture.tga but I only get the .dds files automatically generated in FPSC for all the texture maps using texture_D instead of just texture.tga.

Here is my .fps content for the walls

;Segment Parts

partmode0 = 0
meshname0 = meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\chateau_study_room\wall_mid_a.X
offx0 = 0
offy0 = 0
offz0 = 55
rotx0 = 0
roty0 = 0
rotz0 = 0
texture0 = segments\user\StoneBump\stonebump_D2.tga
textured0 = segments\user\StoneBump\stonebump_D.tga
texturen0 = segments\user\StoneBump\stonebump_N.tga
transparency0 = 0
effect0 = effectbank\bump\bump.fx
colmode0 = 1
csgmesh0 =
csgmode0 = 0
csgimmune0 = 0
lightmode0 = 0
multimeshmode0 = 0
materialindex0 = 0

I've tried creating the wall as an entity and using the bumpent shader rather then the bump shader but still have the same problem

Any help with this would be appreciated

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 16:31 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 00:19
Quote: "textured0 = segmentsuserStoneBumpstonebump_D.tga
texturen0 = segmentsuserStoneBumpstonebump_N.tga"

I may be wrong,but i dont think you need to include these in the fps.Maybe try the texture as __D.tga rather than _D2.tga.
Doesn't FPSC automatically look for these when a shader is applied and the diffuse texture is named ...._D.dds
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
first of all it is a bit difficult to apply Normalmapping on Segments

then you had to put the *_N.tga into the Folder (you don´t need to enter it in the fpe)

only the Shader had to be into the fpe.

I don´t know exactly how to add them on segments, only on Entitys(its easy there)

I'm from Germany so don't say something about my English! Otherwise i will be a bit angry!^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:26:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:26:31