Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Tut on how to have more than 6 levels in your games.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 21:03 Edited at: 4th May 2007 13:17
I was away from the forums for a long time and still played with FPSC on my own.

I discovered a few helpful things that improved the game creation process. One of those things is how to avoid FPSC crashing when I wanted to have more that 6 levels in my games.

My answer is just dont use the Game builder to get more than 6 levels into a game. There is a way to do it manually.

It is a little more work but if your really as passionate about making games as I am, It's worth it.

There should be no limit to the number of levels you can add this way. But if you want it to fit on one CD then you will need to be mindful of all over game size.

If you want to add more levels to your games than the game builder will allow. Here is how to do it.

Method 1:
1) Build your game with the first six levels and rename the game folder "Game1" or whatever.

2) Build another game with the same name that you built the last game with but not the name you changed it to.

3) Go to "Files/languagebank/english/gamebank/mygame" of the first game built and copy "loadingpage6.fpi" and paste it into
the same folder. Then rename it "loadingpage7.fpi".

4) Go to "Files/levelbank" in the dir of the second game you built rename the "level1.zip to "level7.zip". then copy and
paste into "Files/levelbank" in the first game you built.

5) open the "setup.ini" in the root dir of the first game you built. Change the "levelmax=6" to "levelmax=7".

6) Copy the following line and paste it below the last line:
levelfpm6=mapbanklevel6.fpm
levelfpi6=languagebank/english/gamebank/mygame/loadingpage6.fpi

7) Change the "level6.fpm" to "level7.fpm" and then change "levelfpi6" to "levelfpi7" and then change "loadingpage6.fpi" to "loadingpage7.fpi".

8) Be sure to copy all of the media from the second game you built into their respective folders of the first game you built, but don’t over write anything (If you over write files while doing this, it may not work).

It sounds like allot of work but once you get used to it, it doesn’t take long at all.

This will work for sure if done correctly.
I have gotten 20 levels into one game this way and they all ran just like they were supposed to.

There may or may not be third party program out there somewhere that can get the same results easier. I haven’t even looked.
I wouldn’t even know what to look for. This way, I know that the ammo and life and such of the player can be carried over into the extra levels. With third party software, who knows?

Hope to see people using this method or something else that does the same thing. Its a pitty when you have a dynamite game that has 10 levels, and you have to lessen the playing experience by breaking up the game into seperate pieces.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 21:12 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 21:16
*looks on back of game case*

"tell a story by linking up to 50 large scale levels"

50?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 21:14
what the box says and what FPSC does are wildly different.

Thanks incense

foxking
Years of Service
User Offline
misrepresented goods is a suable offence.The box has exaggerated things.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 21:32 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 21:34
foxking said:
Quote: "
*looks on back of game case*

"tell a story by linking up to 50 large scale levels"

50?

"

There has been much discussion about the things that the box says and the site says and it all boils down to one thing. Work with what it really does. It can be annoying but I have learned to work around alof of what it cant do.

If you start a convorsation about what FPCS cannot do you may have some people that agree with you. You will also invite the supporters of the product to flame you hard fast and repeatedly and try to make you look stupid.

The best thing to do is read the forums and the manual and tips guide and the box that the CD came in and then work with the software and push the limits and see what is fact or fiction for yourself.

I have owned FPSC for almost 2 years and I havent got my CD yet. I emailed Rick V. but have not gotten a response yet. Maybe he is to busy working in X10. I will just keep emailing people untill I get a response I geuess. Maybe I'll try the sales people to.

Butter fingers said:
what the box says and what FPSC does are wildly different.

Thanks incense
"

I get some good stuff off the forums from people like you and some others Butter fingers. I just wanted to give something back.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 22:40
Quote: "I have owned FPSC for almost 2 years and I havent got my CD yet."

its downloadable??

and thanks for the info, i might try and make a program to do that at some point, but im busy this weekend so might not have the time.

best of the rest!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes FPSC is downloadable and can be purchased from the TGC website.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 11:16
incense,

Greetings. Very cool!

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:06 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 16:09
silly fluffy, Please ask your question in the modeling section of the forum. What you are doing is called "Thread Highjackin" and is considered less than exceptable.

Thank you.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:30
Uhm,guys.I can build a game with 10 levels without any problems...All will be playable and whatever...

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Prince Of Darkness,
Can you do that just using the game builder and FPSC?

There are allot of people on the forums that try to use the software to do that and it bottoms out and crashes hard.

Is there a certain thing that you do that we havent thought of?

Any info would be great.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 22:45
I just never change the menu media...Thats all...I change the media AFTER i builded the game,as in MP it gives trouble too i though it might do the same in SP...Never tested that.must look into it once.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 23:08 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 23:34
I am confused as to how changing the menu media can affect the number of levels that the Game Builder can add to a game.

I have never changed the menu media and still had the issue of not being able to add more than 6 levels to a game with FPSC crashing.

Is there someone else that can varify this?

Has anyone else gotten FPSC to add more than 6 levels to a game with a default install?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 23:50
Lee fixed a bug this week that sorts out the level crashing. Hopefully he'll be able to make a build for XP users in the not so distant future.

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great.

Rick V,
did you get my email about my software?

The Invincible
Years of Service
User Offline
just a thot but it might be install issues or download latest patch
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I have installed FPSC several times and I have the latest patch and it isnt just me that has the issue of not being able to build more than 6 levels into a game. Scan the forums and you will find that there are many people that have the issue.

Rick V said:
Lee fixed a bug this week that sorts out the level crashing. Hopefully he'll be able to make a build for XP users in the not so distant future.
"

This says that it is not an install issue or the need of the latest patch.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought this might be important to some. Im bummping it to collect data on the method to see if it works for others that have this issue.

smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 14:29
Quote: "misrepresented goods is a suable offence.The box has exaggerated things."

True. But are you going to sue TGC for...not letting you load 50 levels?

*Cough Cough*

big..hahaha..you said big!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I would rather not turn this thread into a legal debate.

Than you.

smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 06:41
Ok, sorry dude.
Is there anyway to back this up if you mess it up? (The max level thing).

big..hahaha..you said big!
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
smith said:
Quote: "Is there anyway to back this up if you mess it up? (The max level thing)."

Since your building the game yourself, before you make any changes, you can copy and paste the game folder of whatever you have built to another folder or even the same folder. If the original gets messed up then you just delete it rename the copy with the original name. In short, it is backed up the same way that you would back up anything else. It can be a long process the first few times or if your game has alot of media. But if done right is well worth it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:17:39