Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A few baisc questions =)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 23:57
Hello everyone,

I have been working on a project in DarkBasic Pro for quite some time now, however recently I have become less and less impressed with it's performance. I love how easy it is to use and the fact that it is fairly clean cut, however it does lack the power of C++.

And so I resolved to look into DarkGDK. I downloaded the examples and such and was fairly impressed with the framerate and performance. However, I was wondering if there is a "test" version of DarkGDK out there, one that I can download to test with my C++ version.

I understand such a thing would be difficult, but could they not just eliminate nearly all the commands and just have a few basic ones to use? Such as basic 3d Object control? In this fashion, we could test whether it works and we are happy with it before purchasing. I'm on a college budget, can't dish out the cash without reassurance =)

However, if such a thing does not exist, here are a few questions;
-Does it work with Dev. C++?
-Will Visual C++ 2005 express edition work with it?
...on .NET version;
-What is the advantage of this version vs. the normal?

Please forgive, I am not very familiar with C++ having only taken a single class on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Bishop

I can proudly say that I've never coded a game of merit! Working on it though =P
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 00:41
Hi Bishop.

The unfortunate thing is that there isn't currently a trial version... of either product. Both DGDK and DGDK.NET are fully functional packages, available only upon purchase.

As for your questions, here are some answers:

1. DGDK isn't supported on Dev-C++, but it is fully functional on the free express version of C++. You will need to download the PlatformSDK and DirectX SDK as well unfortunately, but they are free downloads at least. (Genuine Windows users only of course)

2. DarkGDK.NET is fully compatable with both Express, standard and enterprise versions of the .NET development tools like Visual Basic.NET and CSharp.

3. The advantages associated with the DGDK.NET version is that you have total access to all of the OOP functionality you are to expect from VB.NET and C#.NET. Other than this major distinction between .NET and C++, the .NET version is basically a wrapper COM component of the same libraries you get with the C++ version. It is important to note that, if you plan to develop with C++, you should buy the DGDK (C++) version, i.e. don't get DGDK.NET and expect it to work with Managed C++ code because you'll be working through a Wrapper interface of the original C++ libraries. If you do wish to program with VB or C#, then of course, go for the DGDK.NET edition.

I hope this is clear, but if you do still feel that you're unsure about anything, feel free to post any further queries and I'll be happy to help.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 02:58
Hey, thanks Paul =) that cleared it up wonderfully! It is unfortunate, however, that there is no trial =P But I am sure there is a good reason =) Thanks for the help!

Bishop

I can proudly say that I've never coded a game of merit! Working on it though =P
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 03:20
Hi Bishop,

It has actually been brought up before by another user regarding trial versions... which.. is understandable for DBP users who may have bought their version online from testing the demo version to begin with. I have thought about this concept for DGDK.NET, and I did indeed implement a similiar time trial system on a Cartography Shop map importer demo that's available from my site's profiles section. But I'm still sceptical about the security issues involved in providing a time trial version of DGDK.NET.

Mike, who has been my lifeline to the DGDK libraries may have a prospective view on this idea of providing a time trial version of both DGDK and DGDK.NET in the near future, but I will need to discuss this concept with him further... but your point has definately been noted on my 'To Do' list.

At any rate, if you still need to see more code, or even demos of applications that use the tools, feel free to enquire, and I'll try to oblige.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 21:33
Okay, got another question then =)

Was reviewing the features and saw the support for shaders. I take it these shaders are built in? No external files required, correct?

Also, I have only a basic understanding of C++ programming. Will that be enough to use the product? As in, I understand that variables and arrays must be declared C++ style, so as long as I have a decent knowledge of this, I'll be ok?

Thanks

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 12:14
Shaders are not built-in. They are external text files, exactly the same that DBPro uses. You can construct them using DarkShader, or use the ones published at the forums.

I think that a basic knowledge about the C++ philosophy and syntax is enough to start having fun with DGDK.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 23:41
I mean the built in ones such as cartoon, Rainbow shaders, etc.

It's good to know only a basic knowledge is needed =P Mine is basic and self taught lol

Thanks for the response Morcilla =)

-Bishop

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 11:41
Yes, the built in ones are the same commands than in DBPro, like:

dbSetBumpMappingOn
dbSetCartoonShadingOn
dbSetRainbowShadingOn
dbSetShadowShadingOn

They do not require external files, although the affected objects could need extra textures, as you may already know.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 23:30
Cool thanks =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:30:01
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:30:01