Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / multiple enemies

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 20:20
multiple enemies in one room, I put 7 zombies in 1 room, the level runs slow if I face where the zombies are, even if a wall is in the way and I cannot see them, perhaps some form of zoning problem, It runs real real slow with 6 monsters in a room, fpsc seems to not run over 31 fps, if i have like 6 monsters in 1 room it can go down to 15, this is on a fast computer,
now is that an AI thing or poly thing, if its polys what if the poly count was real low, like if they was a box or even just sprites for the characters, I just want a lot of monsters to walk up to the player and hit him, ie behaving like a zombie type script., but the frames are bad, and also on 2 monsters will do anything, all the rest stand still.

a post that discussed this but is now locked due to age.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78569&b=21#post

QUOTE _ put on player/chase.fpi script. they will no matter what chase your player.

QUOTE _ and thanx to conner+rnd(50) turn off physics.

did that with the zombie cop, had 7 zombies in 1 room, changed its script to chase, turned of physics. chase script makes them do nothing but jitter, perhaps those files have clashes in the animation frames, ie its for another character, not zombie cop. also turning of physics still makes it that just 2 characters only do the actions.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 20:27
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 20:49
Its an AI problem; FPSC seems to not like keeping more than 3 characters alive at once.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 21:41
Ahh, got ya, so we should not have more than 2 opponents ever, some say it can be worked around by using different scripts, but for me that's not usable in what I had in mind.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 22:13
You have to choose where to place your enemies and your AI scripts wisely.
If you have 7 enemies in one spot with the exact same AI only three of them will react at a time.
Now if you take those seven enemies,space them apart a little and give them different AI scripts you will see a different effect.
Basically you place your first enemy where you think you want him or here,give the enemy the AI script you want them to have and then you test your game and make necessary adjustments.

When you are satisfied then you start working on the second enemy...and so on.
I believe that Lee is making improvements in AI for FPSC.

MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 22:47
FredP you do have a way of announcing things that make me extremely happy .

AI
Ragdoll

What more could you want from an FPS game.

And thanks for the tip about more than 3 with same AI.... I didn't know that.

Oh and does that have to be only different shoot AI?? Or both?

Thanks

E.D.

EldestDragon

There is no snoop
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 00:09
Hmmn, on AI I thought of making a doom 1/2 game and using sprites and having like loads of them onscreen at once, placing them one at a time wont stretch to a doom game, that had serious amounts of monsters onscreen.

You say to give them different AI scripts, I want them all to do one thing, just run at the player for one type of monster, I guess one could try and alter it in some way, like run at the player but pause now and again or straff a bit or something, I guess Id have to make lots and lots of slightly different scripts, dont know if fps will like that, lots of sprites may make it angry.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 00:45
you could if you need them all to act the same, give the same script 4 different names.

Also 1.05, I can have 15 characters all active at once...admittedly they're all halfway through the floor.

Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope that x-10 works as promised and will allow me to have 100 characters on screen, all with different fpi's and all trying to kill me at once.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 01:12 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 03:14
I heard that having separate scripts makes them work, I just loaded in 4 different characters, they had different scripts, but only 2 would work at once.

I cant see this working, perhaps 1.05 is better, I'm using 1.04, and that is not having it at all, its 2 characters doing stuff only, the other 2 watch, till I walk near them, then one of the 2 shuts off, and the new one I walked past is alive, but only 2 at once are working.

just read about 1.05, I hear some good things and that users have gotten a whole load of characters working, ill try 105 and see what happens.

tried it with a bunch of different shooting bots, they all worked and got good frames, didn't work with a bunch of zombies of the same type, only two would work.
Ill try the same script but with different names, see if that works.

I tried 4 different zombies for character pack 4, only 2 will come at the player, a third will start to, then stop, only 2 zombies will follow you
not sure what to do about this, its an odd bug, hell you want more than 2 zombies

just tried giving them all the chase script, they all stood doing throwing animations.

I then tried giving them all the same zobmie script, only two at once will follow it.
tried the sas sub machine characters, they come running at you shooting.

I think its model pack 4 that is the problem, as I gave the SAS guy the zombie script and they worked fine, all 5 of them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:17:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:17:22