Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Custom modellers/TGC please read

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 23:39
Ok, so I just jumped on the band wagon, and got the 1.05... and I'm having the same problem as Disturbing13. All my custom characters as halfway through the floor. THe only way around this (for the models I can still find), is to re do the export process, as well as moving some bones around. Yikes. this is hours of work, so that I can use stuff with the update. I'm not talking about segments/maps not working (that's something we can all bite the bullet with), this is actual characters.

If Lee could at least look at this, or add some new FPE command, so specify an automatic recaulculation of Y height for pre-1.05 meshes.

(something like pre1.05mesh=1)

That would save me a bunch of time, and benefit many of the more veterain users who have hordes of custom characters to re-do.

Please look into this TGC. We're not asking much!

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
1.05 is RC2? So its not the full release yet. Sounds like a bug to be fixed. Maybe you should email Lee with the bug.

I of course have no clue as I'm still on 1.04 but fixing it in the fpe feels more like a quick fix hack job. If there is no alternative I guess that would be the way to go as it would have to fix all the model packs too.

I wouldn't go fixing and re-exporting all the models just yet.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
No problems in rc-1 looks like a pure 2 bug that lee created.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 04:18
I had the same problem and went back to .04

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 06:52 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 01:57
importing into fragmotion , altering the one bone , and exporting back to milkshape, then exporting it back to .x format cleared it up for me...yeah thats allot of import/exporting, kinda a pain. I'm just glad I kept decent records so my customers didn't get screwed.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 08:10
I never have that problem, and neither are bonds packs really, or the stock models(all made in max of one version or another). Kinda makes me think it's a MS export problem. I've seen you guys complain, but I've not had that problem.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 09:34 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 09:41
I have always saved my animated models as Milkshape files and coverted them with Ultimate Unwrap 3D.
Maybe that will make a diiference.
I will check it out and let you know.

Edit:If someone who has an animated Milkshape mesh wants to e-mail it to me I can check it out.
It might take me a little longer to make something.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Kinda makes me think it's a MS export problem"

Yeah I'll agree with that, exporting animated models is just so darn complicated from application to application. Probably why most games companies stick to one modeling app and write their own custom exporters.

Since FPSC was developed with max and character studio, the max people don't have too many problems from rc to rc. But I feel for you guys using other apps.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 10:52
Okay.Here's what I did.
I made a sphere and made it a character.Gave it a simple up and down animation.
I exported one via the Milkshape Direct X exporter...

Then I saved one as a Milkshape file and exported it via Ultimate Unwrap 3D.

The results...

Both balls worked exactly the same.They start out just above the floor,rise a little and then go back down but at no time did they sink into the floor.
There is one joint just below the model.
The models (along with an animate.fpi script) are attached.
For those of you unfamiliar with this (which will probably be nobody who reads or has an interest in this thread but I will post it just to be on the safe side) the animate.fpi file goes in the scriptbank.
You will also have to rotate the balls to have the front facing you just like a stock character.
Even if this doesn't help you guys should still have fun with it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 12:38 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 01:57
its not the modeler itself, it's the fact that the skeleton provided for milkshape was somehow flawed to begin with. What ever exporter was used to provide milkshape users the skeleton moved the base bone right below the crotch. So we recived it that way. And for a while it was good; no problems as long as your model had the feet on ground level. But with the latest version you absolutely need the base or first bone(which isn't really connected to the character at all) at y level 0. fragmotion is great for fixing the problem as it can move positions for some bones without distorting the animation. If you need any help butters, just contact me at d13@disturbing13.com

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 17:56
Maybe you guys would be nice enough to re issue this new skeleton. All thats very odd to us Max users. The main bone in our skel is called Com1 and is located in the pelvis. This bone is never located at 0,0,0. Normally its like 0,34,0. There must be something the the Max exporting does that keeps the information on the leg length, and the distance the Com1 remains from the floor.

Maybe make it's own thread so the search engine can find it, and even those of us that don't use MS are aware of it's existence, and could find it later on when this problem arises.

Loc

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 18:20
Thanks for the interest guys,

I've found from importing various characters into frag motion, that there is a fair amount of difference between the various characters with regards to the placement of the "anchoring" bone.

As far as I can tell nothing I export from milkshape will load in the new update. I have to do all of Dist13's process to move the bone, then open the V1 editor and place the character to get a DBO and Bin, only then can I copy that accross into my V1.05 folder and it works. If I just add a .x and an FPE to the updated FPSC, I get an error in the editor and it hangs. Only works by first running the character through V1.

THis is all very odd, and I'll be sending my stuff over to lee to check out.

I realise that the hardcore of FPSC modders are using max (or maya.. my maya stuff is fine), but at the end of the day FPSC is targeted at Low end users, and therefore the engine should cater to users of low end modelling software. Otherwise...whats the point?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 20:06 Edited at: 24th Apr 2007 02:26
Send your info to Lee and please posat here if/when he gives you a fix.

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
I think when exported from Max, it either takes the root node from the objects local axis or from the bipeds footsteps node. I always place my object's axis at 0,0,0 and have not tested otherwise to see if makes a difference.
The max exported x file when loaded into fragmotion has the root bone at the same location. This bone has the same name as the object in max. Which probably means its taking it from the object's local axis.

If you load the .x models that come with fpsc into fragmo you'll notice some difference between models. Some have it at the groin, others have it funkly offset to the side. Conker has it between his feet. You might want to try using this skeleton instead.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 02:28
I tried to clean up this thread and I think I deleted a wrong post or two by accident.My bad.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 03:34
Fred you arn't grinning! Edit that quick JK
Adam

EOT
[img][/img]
Check it out here: http://eliteops.piczo.com/?cr=6&rfm=y
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 16:05
Quote: "I tried to clean up this thread and I think I deleted a wrong post or two by accident.My bad."

The joys of being a mod.....

E.D.

EldestDragon

There is no snoop

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:23:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:23:30