Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Great news !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 05:37
Hi guys,

I have decided to offer some free web space with no ads if you need it. and by the way I plan to finish my new models site very soon.

www.hotpointhosting.com
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 06:32 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 06:40
I'll take it
I need somewhere to host my files, and such.
Is it domain, or sub?
Drop me an e-mail dude!

EDIT:

Hey man, check your inbox!

-AaronG

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 06:49
oh yes is it a domain, this sounds great!

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Will it offer php and mysql? I don't need a domain place, just someplace to work on some programming. My current host is crock of crap
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 08:59 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 09:10
Inovater....man doing a public call for something like thats gonna get you swamped, and it's nothing against the guys applying. Offering web space is something I do too....but to a very select few.

http://wc.out-lawz.com (Weapon Creator)
http://s4projects.out-lawz.com (Vishnu)
http://sinninsoul.out-lawz.com (S4 and my site)

Along with others that have nothing to do with dev work.

No offense to anyone here but would you really allow someone to work from your PHPMyAdmin. You know how bad they could screw you up? "No thanks...I'll set up that db for ya, what do you want it named and the pass"
I don't care how much experience someone says they have. Horrible idea, so you need to be ready to run any installers they may need or run queries for them, if their going php.

Your going to be better off and keep a better name as a root Admin contacting people you think deserve space behind the scenes. It's almost insanity shouting "Free Web space" on a forum where no one likes to pay for anything. I think you'd end up being sorry.

Good Luck
Loc

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 09:18
I kind of like being the only administrator on my site.
Giving out information like that can cause you all sorts of problems.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 09:49
To me it's not even a question...I'd never hand over any admin. But making this a public announcement seems a little unthought out to me.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 18:29
You will need to have a domain name. I do not offer free subs sorry.
You will have your own admin with cpanel and fantastico, 1 db, 1 email, 25 md space, 1000 mb bandwidth.

www.hotpointhosting.com
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 19:10
@ The Inovator: I like your ideas for free stuff just as anyone else. The only problem I see is that you will be tkaing on alot of costs to make a free website program for everyone else. If you are willing ot do thios htough then that is great for everyone else. I myself take the alternative for low cost, then free, because free is not something I am willing to do in certian areas which includes website hosting. But as long as you are willing to do it, then that is great for people who do not want to pay for website hosting. If giving out peopels own admin account is something you can afford to do, then that is great. Hopefully everyone will be able to appreciate that. Its a good package for the cost of $0.

K.L. Phair
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 22:29 Edited at: 24th Apr 2007 22:31
Can I have some webspace? email me at davybear@hotmail.com

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 22:40
TI,

I have the domain name fpsring.com. If you want, you could create subs... xplosys.fpsring.com, etc, so people wouldn't have to pay registration unless they wanted their own.

It's also easy for you to create individual web folders.... fpsring.com/xplosys, etc and we can point to those. That's even easier. Let me know.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 23:54
I must be honest with you guys, as many of you are already aware 25mb storage and 1000mb Bandwidth will fillup rather quickly for some people. The idea here is that some of you that are requesting this free space will eventually upgrade to a larger account in time. as for the space issue on my end I currently have about 2 terabytes of storage dedicated to just freespace alone so I do not see any problems with many accounts plus I am giving 30 day trials on all other packages as well as long as you follow the terms of service which are very open ended on your side.

www.hotpointhosting.com
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 00:37
Quote: "The idea here is that some of you that are requesting this free space will eventually upgrade to a larger account in time."

Quote: " I am giving 30 day trials on all other packages as well as long as you follow the terms of service which are very open ended on your side."

Now not to be negative and not to try to sound like I am flaming, but your first posts relaly mad eit seem like you were trying to help people in the community. Now it sounds like this is a marketing strategy to get people to use your hosting service and then hope they will upgrade so you will make money.

Why didnt you just say this in your first post and just be 100% open about your intent? You want to give out a small amount of web space in hopes people will like your service and be attracted to your bigger packages that you know they will need later on if they want to expand their website. Its a marketign strategy many people do. The only thing that bugs me about this thread, is thta you made it seem like you were giving away free space to "help" people. Now I can see why you cna afford it, because it is only limited space that is meant for sales conversion. Good luck with it. I wish you the best, but you could have made it seem like from your first post that you werent just doing this as a charity cause.

K.L. Phair
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 03:27
With all due respect to you and other, I am offering this space for free with no ads. If you or anyone else do not end up needing any extra space then fine there would be no need to upgrade to a larger account. if 3rd party software is used (included with fantastico) then you can more than likely utilize the 25mb of storage and 3rd party includes to build a pretty respectable site. As far as being up front I was, I told you the package details and what comes with it you should make the decision on whether or not it is right for your needs.

www.hotpointhosting.com
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, but what is the TOS. If we exceed our bandwidth how much are you charging per MB aferwords?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 03:56
Quote: "You will have your own admin with cpanel and fantastico, 1 db, 1 email, 25 md space, 1000 mb bandwidth.
"

I think he pretty much spelled everything out. It's a geat deal. Because he also offers other plans besides the free one is no reason to talk like he is some kind of crook or he is trying to trick people.

I think anyone here who gives there time and resources for the love of the community and gaming deserves the right to try and recoop some of their expenses. It's not like he's charging someone for something he gets for free. I think you're out of line and owe him an apology.

Best.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 03:56
there is no charge for bandwidth overages becuase I do not allow a bandwidth cycle to cycle more than one time per month. so basically if you reach your bandwidth limit your website will not allow any more entries until the next cycle. keep in mind that 1000 mb of bandwidth is equal to about 90,000 hits on your site (figures are based on serveys)

www.hotpointhosting.com
Mickm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 04:25
The Inovator, I think you are offering a pretty sweet service. For those who cannot afford / do not have hosting already this looks promising.

As for the over charge of bandwidth I would believe it would be setup to just show a message ("This website has exceeded it's monthly bandwidth ...")

Anyway all in all, Good luck to you and this minor project

http://www.gamestack.org
http://onlinenotes.gamestack.org
http://onlinebookmarks.gamestack.org
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 04:54
Quote: "With all due respect to you and other, I am offering this space for free with no ads."

I am not saying you are right or wrong. All I said was that that should be included in the beginning of your post along with the storage and all of the other information you posted later.

Quote: "The only thing that bugs me about this thread, is that you made it seem like you were giving away free space to "help" people."

I dont see how this was offensive. I stated a perception that other people may or may not share.

Quote: "I think anyone here who gives there time and resources for the love of the community and gaming deserves the right to try and recoop some of their expenses. It's not like he's charging someone for something he gets for free. I think you're out of line and owe him an apology."

Honestly Xplosys, you really come across as funny. If you feel like I was out of line then thats your own opinion. I am an adult and if I am out of line I have no problem stating so. As far as I am concerned I feel youre out of line with a lot of stuff. You really come across as someone who tries to instigate people with your comments. I am to old for that. So best of luck to you as well. If my comments offend you, then dont read my posts. I cannot say it any simpler then that.

K.L. Phair
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 05:34
Thanks, I'm glad you're amused. I was thinking the same thing about you trying to instigate/insinuate something here. Apparently, you have a different name for it... opinion you call it.

Oh, and same about not reading my posts if my comments offend you. They are just my opinion.

Best.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 16:59
I have no problem with your posts. I need a good laugh every now and then like everyone else. I come into the forums prepared to read something I may or may not like. I state how I feel in a direct but yet polite way. We are all adults here, so we all know how to communicate politely while still geting whatever message we want heard across. You have never said anythign that has offended me, so I do not expect why I shoudl expect that form you now. Despite what you say, I can at least say you dont blow off the handle or start acting immature, at least form the posts I have seen. But I still fele like you sometimes try to say things to maybe get under someones skin, or maybe thats just the way it comes across sometimes. I really do not know. All I can say for sure, is that yes you do contribute stuff to this community, yes you do have some good things and information to offer, but I sit and wonder sometimes, why in almost every opinionated post there has been, I see you running to every persons defense. This is a forum. there are going to be so many opinions here that they will not all agree. I feel sometimes you try to act like a MOD. No surprise your logo resembles that now form the previous one you had, so I am probably not far off from this perception. My whole point is, is thats fine. Be whoever you want. But I was stating my opinion to The Innovator and you try to come into this like I was trying to start some conflict. If that were the case, my post would have been different. I was a memebr of his old website and supported him and still do. However, that does not change my opinion that it would of been good to post the other parts he did not mention. He had everyone on here, (and you cna tell from previous posts), thinking he was going to offer free space and maybe even share his admin access with other users. So when he said he said the parts abou
Quote: ""The idea here is that some of you that are requesting this free space will eventually upgrade to a larger account in time.""
So he even said, the intent was to offer a small amount of space and
Quote: "will eventually upgrade to a larger account in time"
What I meant about being upfront, was from his first post he should have said all of that. Why did I think you were out of line, because I had a vlaid point. If I said heres soemthing you want. Now you have a limited amount of features you cna use, but you cna use it for free. If you want the full package thne you will have to upgrade. My intent is thta you will want all the featrues and then upgrade. People in marketing do this with demo games, products etc. It didnt come across as , hey I am doing this just to help people who are poor. It changed to this is a marketing strategy to get you to upgrade. Its OK to make your money back. But is it OK to put the good part of the info at the beginning then later say, well I am doing this so that hopefully you will go to a plan where I can be paid and that was my intent from the beginning even though it came across as I am doing this for free out of the goodness of my heart? Its the point that it hsould of been posted and at least edited to be included in the beginning. So, that was my point. Not that he's trying to make money, but about making it seem like a charity cause to a marketing strategy. Some may disagree with me, but thats my opinion. I just wanted to explain it so that you could maybe understand where I was coming from.

K.L. Phair
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 17:26
Dude, you sure are long winded. lol

Your explanation is much better than your accusation.

Quote: "You want to give out a small amount of web space in hopes people will like your service and be attracted to your bigger packages that you know they will need later on if they want to expand their website."

That's not an opinion, and not even stated like one. You also claim here to know his intent.... "that you know they will need later on" to fool people into buying an upgraded package, when that's not at all the way he represented it.

I'm finished with this, and I apologize to all who had to read through this. Yes, I do tend to back-up people who are being wronged.... that's my nature. Make all the long winded speeches you want about being good and right, but you slandered him for no reason.

Best.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 22:10 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 22:11
Quote: "Dude, you sure are long winded. lol"

OK I will keep this short.

Quote: "That's not an opinion, and not even stated like one. You also claim here to know his intent.... "that you know they will need later on" to fool people into buying an upgraded package, when that's not at all the way he represented it."

He said
Quote: "The idea here is that some of you that are requesting this free space will eventually upgrade to a larger account in time."
which to me means, that his intent is that yes some people will not need to upgrade, but that the idea is hat most will want to. Yes he stated that he does nto require it, but thats the idea. Otherwise he would give a much larger amount of space for free because as he said:
Quote: "I currently have about 2 terabytes of storage dedicated to just freespace alone so I do not see any problems with many accounts "
Thats beyond Gigs and gigs is a lot. (For anyone who does not know 1 terabyte is 1,024 gigabytes. To make it even better, it is one trillion bytes. 1 million bytes make up a megabyte and 100 mb's make 1 gig.) So obviously his intent is to make money, which is not good or bad, but he should of just said that.

I will leave this alone too, but I do not see how I wronged anyone. If you consider my opinion and suggestion slander, then people are slandering every day, because every day someone states their opinion. Thanks for your input.

I do apologize for my typos.

K.L. Phair

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:25:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:25:45