Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Debris - Awesome 180KB demo

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 04:11 Edited at: 24th Apr 2007 04:13
Hi guys,

I only got to see this tonight, but it's stunning! A full-on absolutely incredible demo, all packed into 180KB, from the absolute masters - Farbrausch.

Warning - you need a monster graphics card to watch this, so unless you've a GeForce 7 series (or equivalent), don't even bother. And even if you have, be careful with the resolution / multi-sampling settings, because this demo will melt your card if you try and pump it too high.

I ran it in Vista with no problems at all, and stunning it was too.

Find it attached, or if you really must (or can't run the exe) then here is a YouTube version of it (in typically crap YouTube quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Eg3dBnsHk

It starts off kinda slow, but stay with it - as soon as the monster city destroying blocks appear, it all goes to hell and back.

Gorgeous.

Their web site: http://www.farbrausch.de

Rich

Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 04:24
Nice, been a long time since I've seen a demo like that.

Last demo I watched was on the Amiga used sinewave BLOBs (blitter objects). Things have sure come a long way since then

I liked the hand held camera fx and shattered particles. I wonder how long before we get this on DBP

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 06:20
Holy cow!

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 11:04
Nice demo!

Quote: "I liked the hand held camera fx and shattered particles. I wonder how long before we get this on DBP"

Pants!

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 11:29
I often wonder how long it takes to compress those things with whatever compression they use, days perhaps. Great video Rich, I'm not even gonna attempt to run it on my comp

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 11:49
Kent,

While they do use compression, most of the data is procedurally generated. Meaning they don't have to compress anything but the instructions of how to make the complex object (which often can be broken down into simple instructions).

That, and they have a very complex understanding of the hardware and executable formats

Nintendo DS & Dominos :: DS Dominos
http://jt0.org
Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 13:02
all that in 180k!

well worth the download

I don't have a sig, live with it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 17:04
I'll check it out when I get home. I can confirm that it doesn't work on a Radeon Mobile

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 18:26 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2010 18:32
Nice, although it reminds of a car commercial...

Runs fine on my 256meg GF-6600GT, a few 'bumps' though.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2007 18:27
Really nice.

Even on my Geforce 7600 GS AGP card it looked really good and smooth, just a few pauses here and there.

Boo!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont know if i should run it, I got some ati radeon fungle but its not that old.

Underdog Designs
Years of Service
User Offline
This is not programmed. This is funny, I just read a thread on this on FPSBanana but this isn't anything new. Its procedural generation.
http://212.202.219.162/kkrieger. Its basically like a set of commands that generate a simple texture and model and such and it puts together the whole game within itself. Its very cool and a very simple and en genius idea. It is capable of being done in DBP as far as I know, but it probably would be best is some form of C where you can call programs like paint to make images or what-not.

Formerly known as xTransworldx or TransworldPunk69
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 06:37
Quote: "Its basically like a set of commands that generate a simple texture and model and such and it puts together the whole game within itself. Its very cool and a very simple and en genius idea."

Biggest understatement of the year

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 06:41
Quote: "This is not programmed."

Eh?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 08:29
@Underdog, most of us here who have already responded to this thread have already seen krieger a long time ago. I'd like to see you make that simple demo in DB.

Demo wouldn't load on my FX5900. It'd get almost done loading then have an error. But the youtube video wasn't poor quality for once, so it was a good show. I still can't get over that file size! Any of you folks who can actually run it care to check out how much ram it uses while its running?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 11:03
I got it to run on my GeForce FX 5200 128MB, but only on 640x480 and it was VERY choppy.

phaelax, it used about 590-600MB of my 1GB RAM (FreeRamXPPro was complaining like mad! ).

The video looks much nicer than I could get it to run on my PC.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 11:34
Call programs like paint to create images?

Did you learn to code on this planet?

Generating a complex mesh like that bridge, well that's just incredible, in fact I'd be surprised if it didn't have some designed mesh elements, like prefab bits that it re-uses a lot rather than working out all the polygons itself.

I'm guessing the textures are created like fractals, they might have control over colouring and noise and suchlike - that's doable in DBPro, and not something that anyone would do in Paint, they'd be generated as raw images in code.

There's no doubt that DBPro could make a cool demo like that, the cube snakes for example are quite straightforward and could be replicated to make a cool effect. Same goes for the cube that comes apart, probably be able to get something like that in DBPro as well.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2007 11:40 Edited at: 25th Apr 2007 11:42
Runs perfectly on my machine - and it is just awesome! So clever, so damn clever!

Running on AMD 4200 X2, and ATI X800

Underdog Designs
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I know I understated extremely because I do not know much about it, I know the basics lol. And I said basically

@Phaelax- It can be done but I do not know how simple it would be.

As for the paint statement, I heard of it somewhere in reading of procedural generation where as the idea of generate simple texture that looked real came from someone using paint and figured ways of quickly making a simple texture that actually looked good. It might have been in the reading of the kkreiger website. My bad, I thought they called paint lol

Formerly known as xTransworldx or TransworldPunk69
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 19:59 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 20:01
That was.... beyond amazing. The vertex/mesh morphing on the bridge was truly stunning, it'd be very interesting to see how they achieved such a fluid looking visual (either very very nice vertex modding, or some ace tools)

Quote: "As for the paint statement, I heard of it somewhere in reading of procedural generation where as the idea of generate simple texture that looked real came from someone using paint and figured ways of quickly making a simple texture that actually looked good. It might have been in the reading of the kkreiger website. My bad, I thought they called paint lol"

It's likely that either they would code functions etc. that create textures of certain forms, or they have tools which construct textures from pre-defined functions/operations that are then saved out as code etc.

Paint definitely doesn't come into it - I don't think the volume of textures created here could possibly be created in such a small size if the artist were allowed to manually edit the texture with tools like paint/PSP because the procedural part is destroyed (although the output could just contain the operations performed actually, which I think is the method they use)

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 20:02 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 20:03
Got the demo to run with max settings on 1440x900 resolution without huge troubles. Running on a Athlon X2 64 4400+ and a ATI radeon x1800RX 256MB GGDR3. That's an awesome demo! It's an amazing piece of work!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 21:50
I got it to run on my 256 mb ram, 256mb vram ATI radeon 9550 computer...Yeah right, I'd totally wish I could run that, seems pretty cool.

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 22:26
http://www.theprodukkt.com/img/texte/27.jpg
This is how they make their images.
I think it's the same thing with the models, sounds and musics.

This is an incredible work .
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 08:01
I ran it on my work computer and it drew a crowd of open-mouthed geeks. I made sure to have my second monitor have the size of the executable so I could prove it without aborting the demo

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 15:36
It reminds me of Manga animations...
How big things go crazy, robot's turning organic, then exploding with a white light.

... You know.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 10:26:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 10:26:33