Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Taking a poll: Ambient Light vs No ambient light

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't decide which is better so I am leaving it up to you wonderful people in the forums that are so helpful.

Is it better to use a low ambient light setting and set the color of that ambient light to the color of the static/dynamic lights in your level?

Or is it better to set the ambient light to 0 and use just your static/dynamic lights to light your level?

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 19:14
if you can put it about 4 or so thats good, because if you put it at 0 you have to have an unrealistic amount of light sources.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 20:07
I would have agree with tyrano man. I don't like games that go totaly black. While I can see the use for this occasionaly, it just doesn't seem to serve any purpose in most cases. I mean if you can't see anything, what is the scene for? I like it so that when you get right next to something, you can just make it out.

FPSC lighting is not realistic, as well. If you make a hallway and put a number of small range lights down the side wall, you still get black edges at the bottom of the walls and floor. A match would spread light more evenly than the FPSC lighting.

This is of course a personal preference and dependant on the game. If you need pitch black areas in your game, then you'll have to light everything else that needs to be seen, even the slightest bit.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

spex_guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 04:19
I put my ambience at about 10 or so.

In my opinion, ambience light at 0, really only works for a horror type game, or a scene where you want extra tension.

I agree with xplosys tyrano man.

Go here!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94201&b=19
Makes the sense of my location!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 13:48
Ambience light at 0 never works well, except for games like Umbra perhaps. Always use just a tiny bit of ambience in your levels, lest they're supposed to be pitch black for some reason..

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 14:20
Complete darkness is sometimes usefull, but then you have to put lights everywere...which is annoying...and if you have too many, the map goes all weird, and it only loads a few polygons and some textures.

Have a bit of ambience.

big..hahaha..you said big!
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input!!! Guess I know what to do now hehe. Well, back to the game

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:16:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:16:28