Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Nighthawk's cartoon shader

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 21:07
Where can i get this shader? The post is too old to reply on and there was no download.

Please sign here
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 22:50
no where.

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:09
do you mean me?

hum... i showed my shader pack for FPSC some time ago...

these shaders weren't fully made by me, they were based on shaders like these from evolved, but modified for work in FPSC

i never finished the project or couldn't finish it because the FPSC-Game Engine doesn't recognise some needed maps

i currently work on the FPSC-Game Sourcecode to make Water Shaders work (see German Forum)
but i have to wait for the newer SC to come which will be released after X10's release.

maybe you can get a cartoon shader from a DBPro Shader Pack and make it work in FPSC without modifing the Code.

My System: Intel Xeon 3060 @ 2,4 GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Thermaltake Shark Black, Sapphire Radeon X1900GT, BenQ FP71E+
-- Helix Head Developer --
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:32
I don't think shaders are changed for FPSC, all you have to do is get the .fx files from something like ultimate shader pack and put them in effectbank, I've never tried this though so it may not work, I would be slightly concerned about frame-rate.
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:35 Edited at: 29th Apr 2007 01:39
no

usually you have to apply multiple Textures in Texture Stages to an object to make e.g. a Parallax Shader working (Normalmap, Heighmap and the Texture)

but this is only partially integrated in the FPSC

it only works with the standard shaders (if you'd own DBPro and saw the SC you would know that)
some Shaders like the "Fur" Shader, which don't need any additional Map, there's no problem

the second thing is, you need multiple cameras for some shaders (you can imagine how this would go on...)

My System: Intel Xeon 3060 @ 2,4 GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Thermaltake Shark Black, Sapphire Radeon X1900GT, BenQ FP71E+
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:37
ok thanks for that, learn something new every day. Just wondering now, why would you need several cameras for some shaders?
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 01:43
Example: the Water Shader

you often need 2 extra cameras - AND the standard camera

- Standard Camera
- Reflection Cam
- Refraction Cam

it varies with each shader, maybe there are a lot more cameras used in some variants

you can "fake" such a shader with using a cheap cubemap, but this wouldn't show you a real-time reflection/refraction of the scene

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 05:34
I for one am very interested in a cell shader, any news on this in fpsc is highly desirable by me.
If the ones from DB work in fpsc then that would be sensational.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 13:54
So in other words, even if the cartoon shader worked, it would have to be mapped to each entity? Or along those lines? Or do you need only to apply the shader to the enity?

Stop me if I'm going too fast.

Please sign here
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 15:36
most Shaders like these which are already in the standard-effectbank (see your FPS Creator\Files\ Folder) work only with additional maps like Normalmaps, Cubemaps, ...
In this case the FPSC applies the maps automatically.

Some simple shaders like a Fur Shader or some other's don't need any additional maps, you can easily choose them with the Entity Properties.

And some shaders need maps which the FPSC doesn't automatically apply or shaders which need extra cameras

if you want to make a Cartoon-Like Game you have to assign the shader to every Entity and Segment (for segments this is a lot of work)

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2007 16:07 Edited at: 29th Apr 2007 18:56
If someone has a little scene with this working please post a screen so we can see the effect.

I have been playing around with some shader I found on the DB forums, they had an ultimate shader pack, I tried them in the segment editor, some work, some don't, like the parralax ones, though I think I'm missing a file, im sure parralax uses diffuse normal and a heightmap, so perhaps Id have to make a heightmap if that was the case, not sure what its extesion name would be to be recognised.

They had a toon shader that worked but the line was so thin it was hard to see, so perhaps one needs to either edit the fx file, or get that DB shader program that allows you to make shaders.

I got some filters to work in the segment editor, but the one I wanted did not show ingame, I copied the file to my fx folder, but inside the fx file I notice it has a graphic file and a .x file, not sure if they can stay in the fx folder, or I have to get them out and put them in the mesh bank and tex bank, though what name I would list them under is not known to me, so anyone that has got shaders from DB to work in fpsc Id love to here how you got on with them and what you did.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 21:04
I've never crossed into DBPro territory and converting etc. would baffle me. So does anyone know how the DBP toon shader would work successfully in FPSC and if so could you post the corresponding files?
Please?

Please sign here
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2007 22:20
why dont you just search for shaders, then test them yourself?
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 07:37
Okay as far as I know some shaders have been imbedded into the FPSC engine source like toonshader and stencil shaders...like I said as far as I know.A good place to start would be to edit the source because that is where the problem lies not with the shaders it self...however the shaders still needs to be edited to support the engine...

At this point in time FPSC engine only has support for a few pixel shading 2.0 instructions(it's still limited) and mostly supports PS1.0 upwards...

Lee also made it pretty clear that we won't see too much grahics improvement it's very likely that we will be sticking to the current set of shader.However there is talk of having a water shader "finally" after X10 is released...but we would have to wait and see.

The best advice I can give right now is to edit the source your self or wait for the updatesor just upgrade to X10.

Pointless Assault RC1 Demo
http://fileho.com/download/534fc0519603/pointless.rar.html
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 22:01
I fear you may be right. I'd have no idea how to make changes to the source code. I'll try to get my hands on the shader pack, but on the thread where it's posted, theres no mention of an updated toon shader, seeing how they must not all have made it to the updated version. Regardless, I'll see how it goes.

Please sign here
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2007 22:18
whats quicker in terms of taking computer power from the game player, toon shader, or copy the mesh, paint it black and reverse the normals.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 19:46
I'm guessing the latter?

Please sign here
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 23:05
well the later doubles the polycount, that's not that efficient

here's the name of the shader pack from DB.
UltimateShaderPack1.0finale.zip

quite a few shaders in that to try.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 17:33
there is another cell shader here.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89364&b=1

I tried the tow in the DB 2006 shader pack, one seemed to work in the segment editor, the edging was a little thin, so not quite sure if it worked, but in game the segment is just all black, same goes for the fur shader, Im not sure if shaders work period in fpsc, the normal map shader doesnt, I think the only one that works is the illumination map, if anyone does get anything working in fpsc Id love to hear about it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:26:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:26:11