Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do DX10 models look so good, when modeling /texturing them is there something special that you do such as make them high polly, and what do you do with the textures?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 03:31
There the same models except for the new monster ones by Bond....But better shader(OK, working) support.

glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
well I'm saying if I wanna make my own models what do I have to do if I wanna get them to look as good as bonds model.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Easy. Trick him into giving you a DNA sample. Then, grow a clone and force it to make assets and then take the credit for them.

But really, talent, shaders, patience and skill are going to be what you need.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 13:18
Bond also uses Normal Maps, which are derived from a high-poly version of the model (that's why the veins and muscles look so real). If I am correct (as I have yet to make my first normal map), the difference between normal maps and bump maps (black and white relief maps) is obvious when you view the model at different angles; the normal map will retain the illusion of depth, while the bump map will eventually go "flat".

Add to that specular maps, and a few other touches; and you'll get a product similar to Bond's. Check out the different texture maps that come with the stock sci-fi weapons in FPSC, and you'll see what I mean.

-Keith

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2007 15:18 Edited at: 30th Apr 2007 15:20
Quote: "Easy. Trick him into giving you a DNA sample. Then, grow a clone and force it to make assets and then take the credit for them."

ZOMG!?! REALLY??????

Keith is right, it is all separate maps that play a part i making it look right at a certain angle, instead of lighting baked down to the diffuse you would make the texture with flat unlit colours, then use a specular map to position highlights and colour/shape (ish) of the shine in areas. A low glossiness on the specular shine will make skin and wood look more realistic, as the shine is spread out. Normal maps are just awesome, and im beginning to really love them, like Keith said, it is like bump mapping, but split into 3 channels rather than grayscale, these being left to right, up to down and depth (which can also be used as petty ambient occlusion) The whole blueish-purple look of a normal map is just coincidence.

primarily its these 3 maps that make the model 'look good' ...but obviously you also need a good mesh

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
http://www.redcore3d.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 11:24:25