Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Modifying Model Pack 6

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I had planed to buy some of FPS creators model Packs and convert the models for use with a different game engine (probably Quake based)
But I was reading through the license agreement of Model Pack 6 and I came across this:
Quote: "1.2 You are not permitted:
(a) to load the Software on to a network server for the purposes of distribution to one or more other computer(s) on that network or to effect such distribution (such use requiring a separate licence);
(b) except as expressly permitted by this Agreement and save to the extent and in the circumstances expressly required to be permitted by law, to rent, lease, sub-license, loan, copy, modify, adapt, merge, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the Software or its associated documentation or use, reproduce, exploit or deal in the Software or any part of it in any way;"

If I'm reading 1.2b correctly I will not be allowed to convert these models to a different format correct?
Actually it sounds like I wouldn't even be allowed to reskin or make extra animations for these models. That makes them useless if you want to change one little thing about the model or the texture.

I really like FPS creator and how simple you make it to create games, but if all your content packs have that clause in their licenses it would be a big let down.
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2007 09:38
Yh, I'm sorry all the model packs are for FPSC only, or you can give Lee a big kiss and say "Pwetty Pwease" then he might think about letting you.

The Dup

If only you were me... Then You'd understand.
fixxxer 575
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think it says anything about needing to use it for FPSC only.
Even if I was using it for FPSC it seems I couldn't modify the models or textures in any way.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 12:05
http://www.fpscreator.com/pack6.html

Look at the very bottom of that page...

Quote: "This pack can also be used with other applications such as Dark Basic Pro. Once purchased the media has been packaged in such a way to enable you to enjoy the content immediately. If you are an FPS Creator user you can download the content and install it into the media library. An alternative installer is available to those who want to use the media outside of FPS Creator."

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2007 12:16
Oh sorry I didnt see that, Ok then it's an all go!

If only you were me... Then You'd understand.
fixxxer 575
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah I read that about being able to use it outside of FPSC, thats where I got the idea. But then in the license agreement it says something to the effect of you can't modify the models. So how could I use them out of FPSC with modifying them? (I'd need to convert them to a different format, which would be modifying them right?)
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 05:17
I think it's refering more to making new works/converting for purpose of redistributing. Seriously though, TGC probably won't have a problem with it.

Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I would get their written permission first.

Always remember to cover your a$$
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 12:24 Edited at: 8th May 2007 12:28
hmmm interesting... what about recoloring the textures on model pack 6.... I know its the dual weilding weapons but it also has a nice warehouse segment and entity part to the pack also... but its only in green... What if I wanted to recolor the tops to like blue, black, red, yellow, silver, off white so I got a variety of buildings when I build my maps...

@airslide - ever finish your stargate game? your the only guy I know in here besides I who likes building fan based games (Tera Alpha) Space 1999 type of game... Be nice to get a few of use to get together and get some good fan based games out there...

If you think education cost so much you should see how expensive ignorance can cost you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:25:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:25:42