Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A publisher has found intrest!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
A publisher (mythopea games) has found intrest in my game. It is not even finished, but sadly I must turn down the offer!
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, another persons game had intrest from this publisher too, but i'm not sure it means much, they're only a small publisher. Congratulations anyhow.

[center]
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 16:44
Yea, youre not the only one. I think it is funny how Mythopea is only contacting people who are brand new in the forums about selling their games. Why are they contacting only the new, new people. Well look at Ollie is my name's thread. I posted an old thread there about Mythopea games.

K.L. Phair
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 17:06
So are they contacting people, or are they being approached by the developer, if they are doing the approaching, then PAS is right, they are coming forward to the new forum members or the inexperienced, id be interested in if they approach you, or you approached them.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Avoid them like the plague. They are scam artists. They don't care about publishing your game, they just want you to pay them a bunch of money in supposed marketing costs.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 17:47
Were they the ones who were offering the supposed contract deal to the winner of the Nvidia comp.?

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 18:21 Edited at: 8th May 2007 18:49
No Keith. You cna read the thread here. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100909&b=21
Basically they were under alot of scrutiny because they made a lot of claims. The ESRB did verify they could get a rating an dI thought they were legitimate, but now I ma thinking otherwise. They are targeting all new members. When I emailed them baout why, no reply. I would say dont take a chanc eon them. They do not reply to peoples emails who were involved in the thread and they only seem to be targeting new members. The guys name in here is Lostzac. He is based here out of Michigan. It does not seem like he is representing it well though. At first I thought he was looking at Ollie Is Your Names' game because thye liked it. But I have been hearing from all new members, that Mythopea Games is going to publish them. I would say in my opinion, I see a lot of red flags popping up.

Quote: "Avoid them like the plague. They are scam artists. They don't care about publishing your game, they just want you to pay them a bunch of money in supposed marketing costs. "

Jeremiah, did they rip you off or something?

K.L. Phair
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 18:46
Quote: "but sadly I must turn down the offer!"

So how come you decided to tell us, if nothing more is to develop? :S Not having a go, just wondering..

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Avoid them like the plague. They are scam artists. They don't care about publishing your game, they just want you to pay them a bunch of money in supposed marketing costs."

Breach of AUP?
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
No, they ripped off a friend of mine who writing games in another FPS shooter wysiwyg editor. You all know know the crappy one I am talking about.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 20:20 Edited at: 8th May 2007 20:23
I must say I hear of a lot of start up unknown publishers from these forums, I've my own list of probably about 100 publishers of all sizes, but members here post of publishers I've never heard off, these fly by night operations seem to be springing up all over.

My advise is to be very wary indeed, even the very large established publishers are as sharp as they come, I wouldn't turn my back on them within 500 yards, and that is established large companies.

Id love to see the day when developers just sell their own games and cut the publishers out completely, I've been looking at PAS's escapades in trying to market games, its interesting watching this, I think in the end eventually marketing strategies will be known by community developers and a movement in development will spring from the ground level development studios, I hope so, it would certainly be a better option than the one we have of present, which basically wastes developers time and leads to dissatisfaction of the developer.

The business will have to change, because it makes it very difficult to get into at the moment, once the current crop move aside or close, there would be nothing left to fill its place as the rising crop just isn't nurtured in today's business strategies of the publishers.
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 23:21 Edited at: 9th May 2007 00:19
Quote: "No, they ripped off a friend of mine who writing games in another FPS shooter wysiwyg editor. You all know know the crappy one I am talking about. "

I am sorry to hear that. If thats the case, then I could see why they are targeting new people. Thats messed up that they have to lie to people.

Quote: "I've been looking at PAS's escapades in trying to market games, its interesting watching this"

Check out my post I am going to make about a new development I just made. Its really cool and should be going somewhere within the next two weeks.

I also appreciate your support. Its not easy doing this and its nice to have people who pay attention to my posts and try to learn form my success and erros. This really gives me hope that it is benefiting anyone who reads the posts I have regarding marketing.

K.L. Phair
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, why do you need a publisher?

Copyrighting cost $45.00
Press release - Free - $200.00
Someone to print up boxes and instruction pamphlets. about 2000 boxes and instructions for 1800.00 - 2800.00 or no boxes and just download

Build website.
Hosting 7.95 per month
domain name free to 30 a year
Website free template - 50,000.00
Oscommerce - free; cost to integrate with your design about 350.00
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 00:21 Edited at: 9th May 2007 00:21
If you wanted to go on a very limited budget you could do it that way. But of course doing it yourself you will always make more then going through a publisher, limited budget or not.

K.L. Phair
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 02:43
Quote: "BTW, why do you need a publisher?"

I have to agree with that, most, will not give you dev money up front, its like getting blood out of a stone, for fpsc games that doesn't apply, for other games it does, you can build up massive costs, fpsc makes things much easier though so you can afford to make your own game and fund it yourself if you are just releasing on the PC,so why give them great big percentages, If they are not paying the dev costs, then why the hell should they be taking massive cuts out of the royalty, I personally don't believe that tosh about marketing costs, hell a few adverts in some magazines that nobody looks at anyway don't cost millions like they try to make out, what the hell do they actually do for the cut they take out of the money.

Like I say, I welcome what PAS is trying to do by working out how one gets into the business, like I have stated before, the sooner we get rid of publishers the better, distribute the games online and market the games yourself and keep all of the money for the developer, hell its your game, you deserve all the money.
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 05:13
I think the main thing is that if you are going to want to self publish, you can do it. I honestly think it can be done better then what a publisher could, because they don't share the passion about your own game like you do. It just needs to be understood that it is a lot of hard work. Don't focus on the money or the budget. I do not look at things being things that I can afford or not afford. I look at it, as if I really want it then I will find a way to do whatever needs to be done to make it happen.

All the scripts I got onto the store were obtained by paying a licensing fee to the developers. I paid for my hosting and website services a year in advance. So, go with the things you need to be as professional as possible as well as utilizing as many promotions as you can.

All the information I post are things I do myself. So, when I find out something works, I post it to help everyone else out and I try to show them how to duplicate it. As they say, knowledge is power. One thing that I do know, is that the publishers cannot do anything that you cannot do to sell your game.

I hope this helps everyone.

K.L. Phair
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 06:14
Quote: "I think the main thing is that if you are going to want to self publish, you can do it. I honestly think it can be done better then what a publisher could, because they don't share the passion about your own game like you do."

I agree. When you self publish you can put whatever you want into it how you want. You can always have some extra cash for your won company. When you finish your game you might wanna start a game company as an independent thingjust for you to pub. your games or for your team. Then you can sell digitally and via mail. it's great. Buy a bunch of dvd cases. Get some graphics and label your cd. Then burn it to a game. Sell it. That's good.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 13:41
Hey PAS, you need a sig advertising your store.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 16:13 Edited at: 9th May 2007 21:04
I used to have this one.

Heres the new one that I have advertising the actual games.

It has a randomizer that advertises random games. I will go through when I get back from Las Vegas next week and put them on my old posts.

Thanks for your support.

K.L. Phair
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 20:48 Edited at: 9th May 2007 21:06
Quote: "No, they ripped off a friend of mine who writing games in another FPS shooter wysiwyg editor. You all know know the crappy one I am talking about. "

This has bugged me for a bit. Jeremiah, I looked up Mythopeas Games business information here it is.

Quote: "Mythopoea Games Inc. http:// www.mythopoeagames.com
John Leutz II
4861 Montcalm Ave S • Lowell MI 49331 (616) 897-5108
High quality design to software and websites. We work to design a low cost soultion to your company needs. "

Send a complaint to the Lowell Chamber of Commerce which is who they are a member of.

Quote: "Address: 113 Riverwalk Plaza
P.O. Box 224
Lowell, MI 49331
Phone: (616) 897-9161
Fax: (616) 897-9101
E-mail: info@lowellchamber.org "

I hope this helps.

K.L. Phair
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 20:52 Edited at: 9th May 2007 20:59
Quote: "they ripped off a friend of mine"

Without any kind of real first hand proof that this company ripped anyone off, I would be very wary of making such accusations in public.
If however your friend does have a grievance he should take PAS advice.

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2007 20:59
Forget trying to sell games using FPSC, learn programming instead, your games will be faster. FPSC is great for fun and that's about it.
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 21:04 Edited at: 9th May 2007 21:05
Quote: "Forget trying to sell games using FPSC, learn programming instead, your games will be faster. FPSC is great for fun and that's about it. "

Its bene proven it can be done if somoen wanted to put the effort into doing it.

@ Rolfy: Nice to see you back.

K.L. Phair
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
It's nice to be back PAS,even if I wasn't gone for long.
You may want to take a look at my game in showcase,I'm gonna be in touch.
Quote: "Forget trying to sell games using FPSC"

The issue here is not about how you are creating your game but about publishing,the same arguments apply.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 22:17
Rolfy, I saw some earlier posts if it is the game that has the cool urban setting to it. It looks really good. Do you have more screen shots up? Definitely get in touch with me as it looks really good. I have been expanding my marketing ideas as I am sure you have probably read in my thread. I will check it out when I get back form Vegas. I am leaving for the airport a little later then expected, but I will be in touch when I get back.

@ Everyone else: I hope everyone has a great week I will be back next Tuesday.

K.L. Phair
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2007 23:33
frame rate is not good with FPSC and trying to sell games written with FPSC is a waste of time. I'm a professional games programmer and the only way to sell your games is to write code in C++ or assembly language for real speed.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, okay there genius. You can code in assembly language, yet you are participating on a site that features a drag and drop editor.

Me thinks you are full of crap.

BTW nobody codes games in assembly language.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 9th May 2007 23:47
@Bored of the Rings,

Could share some of your expertise here, and tell us about your published games and how you went about it?

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 23:48
Quote: "BTW nobody codes games in assembly language."

So true. While assembly will produce the fastest output, the actual development time would be massive, not to mention the complexity of the project.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
lostzac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 00:20
I personally do not visit this forum anymore due to the hostility of them, rather they were self educed or not dose not matter. One of the developers we are working hard with off here emailed me this link, and he was right. I find it greatly interesting.

First off I would like to know who and how I ripped someone off. Our company has worked with one developer who has done fps games. So before you claim we have ripped someone off, you may want to get the facts as rolfy had said. Every Developer we have signed contracts with to this date is still working with us.

To clear up the targeting aspect I am suppose to be doing. I have found some games interesting, and I do contact them at there website, if they have ties to this forum, has nothing to do with it. I have not contacted anyone off this forum in a while.

John C Leutz II
Mythopoea Games Inc
www.mythopoeagames.com
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you remember Jason Reynolds? He build a period piece 1930's FPS and you told him you need $500.00 and that you would take care of everything including registering and licensing the title. He paid you the money and then he could never get a hold of you again. You ripped him off and you can try to defend yourself all you want, but I know what type of person and company you have.
lostzac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 01:50
First off I do not know Jason Reynolds, and I have never heard of his game. I have a list of 18 clients, and his name is no where near it. Defend myself I do not need to. If I have truly ripped him off as you claim, then he is more then welcome to take my company to court, I would welcome it and love to see it.

Second off We have never charged for anything we have done, there are a few developers off this forum who can back that.

Third off I would suggest to your friend to watch his slanderous statements.

John C Leutz II
Mythopoea Games Inc
www.mythopoeagames.com
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I will let my friend know of this and I will send him a link to this thread.
lostzac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 01:56
Better yet how about my email, or through the contact page that is so easily found off our homepage...Gee for someone who has so called "sent" me 500.00 you think he'd be smart enough to try to contact me. Not to mention all my correspondences has my phone number on them, if I am dealing with a developer.

Now if your friend got ripped off by someone, I am sorry for that, but it was not my company.

John C Leutz II
Mythopoea Games Inc
www.mythopoeagames.com
lostzac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 01:56
I would appreciate that, as I would like to talk to him and find out what he is talking about

John C Leutz II
Mythopoea Games Inc
www.mythopoeagames.com
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 02:00 Edited at: 10th May 2007 02:04
Quote: "you need $500.00 and that you would take care of everything including registering and licensing the title."

Registering and licensing the title, WTF, you don't register or license a damn thing, you certainly don't give the publisher money, if a publisher asks you for money its game over, they give you money not the other way around.

Quote: " he is more then welcome to take my company to court. "

What for 500 usd

I think some of the developers are aiming too low, and are a bit green, either you sell the game yourself, online, or if it will go into retail outlets then make a 'credible' game, remember you 'compete' for shelf space, remember that, so make a commercial quality game, and go to reputable publishers, if it is not the quality of a store bought game, sell it yourself over the net at a price that is warranted to your title.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sure he will contact you again shortly. I know this took place about last October. Hopefully we can get this sorted out to everyone's mutual satisfaction.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th May 2007 02:03
He should also have proof of the payment, paper or electronic. I know if I sent someone $500.00 I would have a cancelled check, a money order receipt, a credit card statement, etc.

I would also have contacted the BBB, and other authorities and had a record of that. There are a great number or recourses available for someone who has been robbed, including legal, but this is not one of them.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

lostzac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 02:04
I look forward to hearing from him. For the record we didn't do any publishing until Jan of this year. Last Oct we were in the middle of finishing up one of our own titles.

John C Leutz II
Mythopoea Games Inc
www.mythopoeagames.com
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
My first game won't come out for a couple years. So I don't personally care. Mine will be more like edutainment, I don't wish to build games where people just kill people to kill them. I want to educate people, and promoting education for those who have the least access to it.

I personally have no desire to make money with my games. Though, they will probably go out with my text books.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
He will be in contact of that I am sure. We will see what is going on.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2007 08:48
don't get me wrong, I like FPSC as a fun toy, but as a pro games programmer it's a bit childish. FPSC will always have a place in my heart, but not for serious games design.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 15:52 Edited at: 11th May 2007 15:54
Quote: "not for serious games design"

so you say over and over and over.

Quote: "as a pro games programmer "

lets see some proof to this Mr Saturn of the Rings
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Then why are you here? Trolls normally get banned. I am not sure what is going on with you not being kicked off yet.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2007 09:20
Sorry, I'm not knocking FPSC at all I think it's great, but can be a little slow. And no I don't program in assembly anymore but about 20 years ago.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 20:10
Hey, I've been here for a while, and have heard the term used many times, but never figured out what it means. What are "trolls"?

Johaness
Years of Service
User Offline
@Inspire
Didn't read the AUP did you?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:25:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:25:26