Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Decal Maker Version 6 :: Quick & Easy Animated Decal Creation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 06:15 Edited at: 11th May 2007 05:18
Decal Maker Version 6

TRIAL VERSION! Click Here!

After a long period of time with promises I feel I did not deliver on, I'm finally filling in. Decal Maker Version 6 is entering the final stages of perfection, and I've sent DarkFact the beta version to see if there is anything I missed (which no doubt I did).

One of the major factors I'm going to point out is that Decal Maker Version 6 will not have the previously planned Windy Paper, Thick Decals, or even the standard overlays (v5 and other programs such as Signs do these already). Windy Paper and Thick Decals may be their own small programs, perhaps combined into an FPSC toolset. Meanwhile, I decided to deliver the most important aspect as polished and complete as possible, without the clutter of other features.

Estimated Pricing: $9.99 For Full Version
Pricing is subject to change at any time, laregly depending on beta tester feedback. I've decided the normal version will allow you to distribute your decals to other people, too. No need for another version to look after.

Decal Maker should be available soon, first I need to get new hosting, make a website, finish the support documentation, make some example images for users to use or expirement with, and polish Decal Maker itself. Sounds like alot, but the majority is pretty much finished.

Here are some screenshots of the GUI for you to drool over...later I'll provide an animated decal made in decal maker for you to try out in FPSC. Dripping blood, anyone ?

EDIT: Duh! Forgot someone was giving me hosting for Decal Maker. Anyways, the old website is here, 5.0 is still avialable: http://conner94.techvoid.com/DecalMaker/

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 06:23
nice work it is good to see this is still alive

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Victor Kruger/The Kurgan
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 06:26
Not getting the point of the other versions if you can only distribute your game with the 20$ version. And really you can't tell people what they can and cant make with a program thats designed for that purpose. That would be like Milkshape requiring another license if you wanted to sell a model. Perhaps I'm not getting your meaning here.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 07:13
Ooops, guess I didn't make it clear The Pro version is if you want to distribute it in a pack. Let me rephrase that.

Keep in mind the pricing and the idea of the pro version are still speculation

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 07:52
the problem I see (and which I think Loc is trying to explain) is how would you know if someone is selling decals made with your decal maker?

Unless there is some kind of watermark or hidden signature by you in the non-pro version. But then again, I don't think you would do that if someone was paying you $15 for it.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 08:26
I think maybe you should have a trial version that shows how it works (different trials have different restrictions...maybe not able to save the decals,watermark for the demo version,etc.) and a version with the license to distribute.
Anything less than the full version would be useless to me.
Just my opinion.
I am still interested in this...

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 11:29 Edited at: 10th May 2007 11:35
I was looking forward to this for some time,to me the hard part in making decals is getting a decal to 'flow' using only 16 frames.
Placing the frames themselves isn't that difficult with snap to grid in photoshop and I have set this up with automation,I also would be interested in how you are going to tell if someone created their own or used Decal maker,especially since I may purchase your software for it's other features and to support a fellow developer the price is a little high.
I would need to know what the extra features are.

best rolfy.

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 15:00
Oh my god. For people like me, this is a godsend. This is definetly coming into my game dev tools.

So, you create each image seperate, and import them-to create a decal? Does it actually export to your fps creator folder? Sweet!

I wonder if x10 will even need decals though...

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 16:48
Well guys, the target-market is everything. I guess I won't do a pro version, since most of the features I've been trying to think up for it I think belong in the normal version anyways. As people have pointed out, I can't exactly tell - there are certain signs, but someone who wished to could easily change them.

@AarongG - I would guess FPSC X10 would still have decals for at least somethings, the new particle system doesn't cover teleport beams, electricity and so on...and yes, this exports the decal w/decal spec and the entity all in the correct places so their is nothing left to do after exporting except place it in your level

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 21:25
WHAAAH!!! I want this but I got no cash, maybe a trade?

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 00:16
What exactly does it do, does it just make the fpi script?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 00:42
Fallen One - You put in all 16 of your images (the frames for say, a flame or something), set the other options and then it creates the single image file used for the decal, the decal spec file, and the entity (w/a default icon, though I may make it copy the first frame or something later). Personally I find that it saves quite a bit of time, especially if you want to make more than one decal.

BTW, found some serious bugs, most of which should be fixed soon. I'm also planning on making a 3d preview that loads up a default FPSC level to show your decal in relation to FPSC's scale

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 05:16 Edited at: 11th May 2007 05:17
TRIAL VERSION!

What way better to show what it does than to make a trial version? This one includes a (purposly annoying) watermark, and the lower features are disabled. Granted, the script is easily changed in the editor, but this is meant more for inconvience.

I'd include a blood-drip I've made but I stupidly saved it as a bitmap, leading to a very weird black trial because the faded part of it isn't 0,0,0.

The download is attached. Enjoy!

EDIT: Remember, this is a pre-release trial, it may be buggy and there may be features I add to the final version later.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 05:56 Edited at: 11th May 2007 05:58
Woot im gonna test it out asap

EDIT

Alright ive opened it up and i relize something, the format your doing what size images do i have to make? and should there be any specific layout like when your normally adding decals to fpsc?

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 06:02
ok, Blooddeath.

Open up a new image in photoshop. Make it whatever size you want. (1024x1024 is standard)
I say this because Airslide's program can resize them for you.

Make the first frame of your animation (decal.) Do this 16 times.
Make them a .dds with true black 0,0,0 surrounding the main effect or particle.

Import them in the order you want the animation to appear into Decal Maker 6.

Hope it helped.

-AaronG

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 06:20
yea i was just wondering how i did frames seems amazing, ill probably try this a little bit later or tommorow

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 06:57 Edited at: 11th May 2007 06:57
Thanks AaronG for explaining that, percisely. Though 1024 for each image seems a tad big - it resizes it, yes, but you may notice a noteable loss in quality. 256x256 is standard (per frame).

Fungames
Years of Service
User Offline
something to buy?Yes indeed!$10 sounds about right on the money.But what about pounds?

The Urban Pack V2(W.I.P.)
-over 20 Entities and segments
-Including Urban Pack V1 Redone
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 00:53
According to the online money converter I found, the prices converted would be the following (just a few, obviously):

$9.99 USD
5.03 GBP (Approx)
7.39 Euro (Approx)
12.00 AUD (Approx)

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 20:11
this is completely off topic but does AUD mean austrailian dollars?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 23:03
Yup. I've seen alot of Austrailians here so I thought it'd be useful to know. That doesn't include exchange rates or anything, I think.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:41
yeah for it being still alive, becuase i chose it has one prize from a level contest, and i thought I wasnt going to get it, but w00t.
however, drat for the no windy stuff, that was the part i was eally lookin foward too.

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:53
Sorry. The windy paper may be made later, I think I'll probably make it a free little app.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 01:13
I might buy this, was it made in DBPRO?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 01:15
Yup. I've been working with DBP for I think at least three years now, maybe a tad less. I had DarkBasic Classic quite a bit before that, as I got it at Fry's. I loved it, but felt both limited by its engine and lacking the cool things I could do with DBP, and ended up getting DBP and I've progressed very, very far. All versions of Decal Maker were made in DBP

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 01:26 Edited at: 16th May 2007 01:26
Yeah, it's an awesome program, I just never have any ideas in my head and I am completely confused by the term memblocks atm, but I'm getting there

EDIT - I'm guessing you have BlueGUI?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 02:46
Yup. BlueGUI is quite nice, but annoying and buggy at times. I think my DLL is outdated, but I haven't bothered looking for updates.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:37
I have a stupid question.I know where the decals are but doesn't it make sthe stuff for the decal in the entitybank and,if so,where in the entitybank would I find it?

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 20:08 Edited at: 16th May 2007 20:11
Quote: "Yup. BlueGUI is quite nice, but annoying and buggy at times. "

I just got it, seems a bit involved at the moment. Looks good though.

EDIT - I have a question aswell, or a suggestion if you haven't done it. Is there a preview screen of a sort included with this? Then people can see how much they have offset the decal, and then what it'll look like. If you haven't done it I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to implant.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 23:31
@FredP - Should be in your entity bank, under 'Decal Maker->Animated'. Make sure that your preferences are set, by default the directory is Z:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator, I meant to change it to C, as it is Z for testing (that's the drive I have FPSC on)

@Vorconan - I was thinking of one, it would be a bit of work to implant but I imagine it would pay off. More content the better

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 07:13
Thanks,Airslide.I just found it thanks to you.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good airslide a help to many such a good program.

Best s4
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 06:40
Thanks Hopefully I'll be getting my new hosting up soon and can start up the final touches needed before release.

Changes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 15:42
a tenner for tht more like freeware but still its looks great

jamie
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 22:21
Not everything gets to be free

Sorry I haven't gotten this out sooner, still lots going on at home and school, along with my recent re-obession with Wolf3d.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 19:45
Wolf3d is an awesome game!! Not as good as my favourite game...Doom!! but it started everything off, even if it did have fake lighting effects, no manual weapon changing, really bad graphics, no BFG, hard controls and a double chaingun wielding, 10ft tall SS soldier that I could hardly ever beat...

...but back to the point, nice work Airslide.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 19:57
The number keys at the top of the keyboard allows you to manually change your weapon in Wolf 3D.

(now back on topic).

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 20:53
(now back off topic) I have a weird version then
(now back on topic)
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 00:59
[offtopic]Wolf doesn't have dual weild chainguns - must be a strange mod you got there [/offtopic]

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2007 03:00
Moving this to the Product Chat forum.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 03:31
Isn't product chat more for FPSC itself? Models and Media sounded fine to me but no problem

I should eventually get things together, lots going on at home and (as I said above) I've been spending large portions of time with Wolf 3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:27:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:27:55