Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Spinning Cube Tutorial will not compile

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 14:46 Edited at: 10th May 2007 15:08
Hi, I've run through the Spinning Cube tutorial about three or four times now, and each time it ends in the same result.

See error message here:

Therea are no error in the error list prior to compiling. I've autheticated the program, and copied the key precisely with cut and paste (yes I've made absolutely sure all of it was selected.

I've also double checked that system.windows.forms and DGDK 1.0 Type Library where added, and the VB Hosting is defiantely disabled. I can't for the life of me work out what's gone wrong.

-- System Specifications (in case it's useful) --

Windows Vista Premium 64-bit

DX Libs have been installed as has the 1.0.9.0 patch.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 20:12
Kenjar,

May sound like an odd request, but could you actually zip up the project as it is, no changes or rebuilds. Can you make sure that the EXE does exist though so that I don't need to rebuild it before running.

Sounds to me like it could be that the library is having trouble with calling one of the functions, but I need to see if I can replicate the problem my end.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 01:45
not odd at all. I ask clients to do this all the time when they have having technical support issues. I just hope it's something I'm doing wrong, rather than an issue with this running on Windows Vista 64-bit, I tried loading up your spinning box vb sample, which won't compile either, and it drops out on the same command.

Anywho, file is attached. Please feel free to point out what I hope is a silly mistake on my part!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 03:13
Kenjar,

I'm not going to be able to look at this in detail until tomorrow evening (Friday 11th), but can you make sure that you're using the latest 1.0.9.0 update as well.

Download the update, and once installed, download and install the patch file as well. If you look at the Tutorial for this new version, it has been changed slightly. If you can take a look at this tutorial change and let me know if the problem vanishes.

Also, one more thing that may help. Because you mentioned using Vista 64, can you download the very latest version of DirectX from MS's website (feb 2007) because there apparently has been fixes in this version which is supposed to make backward compatability with DX applications more stable.

Let me know if any of the above solves or changes the problem.

Paul.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 01:18
No it didn't. I followed the updated instructions in 1.0.9.0 and received the following compile error:

System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
Message: The type initializer for 'Spinning_Cube_2.SpinningCube' threw an exception.

I'm planning a major new application with this pack, I really do need this thing to work on 64-bit platforms, even if it's not 64-bit itself. I followed the instructions twice, if I'm doing something wrong please point it out. Otherwise I need to start looking at other graphics library's rather than upgrade to DarkGDK.Net Commerical.

I've attached the project file I produced to this posting if it helps.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 15:02
I downloaded the projekt and the exe file run as is from the bin\debug folder. And as far as i can see, you did nothing wrong in the project.

Running Vista 32-bit

Using Dark GDK.NET
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 15:59
Oh dear, looks like we have problems with Windows Vista 64-Bit then. APEXnow, do you have a 64-bit version of Vista to test this on? Does anyone else?

Thanks in advance.
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 18:14
Hi I've got Windows Vista x64 and DARKGDK(C++), it took me a while (2weeks) but I finally make it work...I think your problem is in the VC Directories...
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 19:08
@Jna99:
I think kenjar is using the .NET version of DGDK, so there is nothing to do with directories.

Unfortunately, no x64 processor or Vista OS here.
But the .EXE is running fine here.

Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 21:24
I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to resolve this issue because I don't have Vista at all. I'm still using XP with Service Pack 2. Infact my PC itself is a 2.4ghz AMD Athlon(XP) 2400+. So Vista 64 won't even run on this hog.

I'm in no financial position to even qualify for an upgrade to 64bit with Vista. The problem is that I don't think this is a problem with the library itself, it could be a DX related issue.

At anyrate, there definately appears to be a compatability issue usint 64bit technologies and I'll need to see if Mike or Lee can help in resolving this problem.

Paul.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 22:57
Yes I'm using the .Net version :-(

If it helps at all APEXnow, I've been a professional PC builder for the last 7 years. I'm more than happy to price up and build you a new system for cost. With the new 8600 card out, I could produce a Vista Ready PC (including the OS) for about £500 - £600 (subject to actual pricing, and your own specific requirements).
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 23:30
Thanks for your offer, but as I said, I am in no position to accomodate the cost of such a system in any shape or form at this time. Family committments are a priority. And to be honest, I can't justify forking out half a K on a system when the PC I have is more than adequite for development purposes.

I'll try to ask Mike or Lee if they can help on the matter of the compatability issue.

Paul.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 00:22 Edited at: 15th May 2007 00:23
If it's useful, I can setup a VNC application, providing you have broadband you should be able to log onto this system remotely, you'll have a fully vista compliant system to work with for a few hours then.

I have a secondary system I can use for my own work while you use this one.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 01:07
I think we need someone running Vista 64 and dgdk.net to tell us if they had the same problem and what they did, if anything, to work around it.
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 11:14
Are you offering CattleRustler?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:17:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:17:11