Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / animated segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 22:55
is it possible to pave animated segments?
ex. an escalator.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:25
The model definatly can't be animated. But the texture might be able to be, make a test model with a basic animated texture and test it for yourself

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:55
You can animate an entity but not a segment.You cannot have animated textures.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:59
Didn't somebody do a level with a clown that had animated textures on the walls?

Search for "HellHouse" in Showcase.
puppet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 02:19
an escalator would be a very tall order if you wanted it to actually behave like one and move a player up or down. but if you just want to give the illusion of a moving escalor via animated textures you'd still need to make it an entity and step curve identical bits of geometry( cube1 replaced by cube2, cube2 by cube3 etc. Each cube a new texture in an animated sequence. Using this technique you can sort of animate textures ( or give the appearance of doing so) and make it look like something is moving but its a lot of work and a framerate hit.

the attached file is a rough idea for an escalator ( yellow = geometry and blue = bones) but I realize that won't work becaus ether'd still be a single collision on the entire entity and although the steps would move they wouldn't move you. the mine car and the gallows are examples of entities that move that sort of pertain. The mine car can follow a path and you can actually ride it and the gallows has two swinging hanged bodies. In both cases you can see the shadow of thecharacter root.

uh...anyway, I forgot what the heck my point was on all this. I think I'm just trying to answer "no" to whatever the question was

lol

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:10
I'll just have a broken down escalator...it fits in with the storyline of my game anyways. Thanks for the tips.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios

Logo made at http://www.grsites.com/logo
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 13:57
puppet, your mine cart idea has made me think of so much that would be awesome.

Picture this:

You are walking through a mine (futuristic mine) and there is one of those cable cars in it (the ones that hang from the ceiling) there is a plasma barrier blocking the way into the mine, that hurts you when you touch it AND you can't move through it.

So you have to find a switch which activates the cable car which goes OVER the barrier and into the mine.

Then it could be like an on rails shooter for a bit..... the cable car going through the mine, you shooting aliens down left right and center.

Then the cart stops, you move on..... and you get the picture.

E.D.

P.S. For those who don't want to read that, I was basically complementing puppet on that idea he had, as it just opened up millions of possiblities *adds "model train" to list of current projects*

puppet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 21:47
yeah ...the idea I had when I made the minecar was to ride it as a rail shooter. it works relatively well except that because its a character with bones it defaults to the character collision ( technically when I am "in" the cart I am actually standing on the shoulders of an enemy) be that as it may I am not actually "in" the cart. I can crouch down and it looks like i'm in it and I travel along with it butI need to use the W,A,S,D, keys every so often to center myself or I just fall off kind of destroying the illusiion. but it works pretty well and actually adds a bit to gameplay ( trying to stay on) here's what it looks like when riding and crouched as well as a tressle and slope I made.

I think an elevated bucket version of this would be really hard given the collision perameters. I think the entity will just fall to the ground

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 22:13
make a box, have the box move from the bottom, ie just below the floor line and travel diagonaly till it reaches the top, it then moves under the floor, have a whole buch of these in a row all doing this in a loop, thats your elevator, works just like a lift only they move diagonal and there is a bunch of them offset to look like stairs.
puppet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 02:35
how do you get boxes to move diagonally?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:21:07