Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Authenticator suggestion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 23:27
What about adding a "Copy to Clipboard" button? Like the Create GUID tool has. It would make sure the whole key gets onto the clipboard.

It ain't much of a time saver, but I've accidentally hit ctrl-v before and overwrote the key. Plus, every now and then, ctrl-a doesn't select the whole key, though that happens when my machine has a lot going on.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 01:25
Cracking idea!!! I'll add it for the next release.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 16:06
Long ago i suggested that you could add support for arguments. That way you dont have to press the browse button, you could just feed the path and filename as arguments to the authenticator.
Infact, you could make the authenticator compute the key and automatically copy it to the clipboard and shutdown again unless theres an error.

Using Dark GDK.NET
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 19:37
Good idea JB.

Paul, if you could add support for arguments it would be just great. I've already added the Authenticator to the tools menu on VS, and it really could pass the project as arguments. "Two clicks authentication" (Tools -> Authenticate DGDK.NET Application"

Thiago
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 20:31
exactly my idea

Using Dark GDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 21:10
James Bondo,

I hate to dash your idea into oblivion, but there is a very good reason why I dumped the idea. You lot are not aware of this, but I did actually implement a path argument for the Authenticator so that you could run it directly from the tools menu in Visual Studio... well... this ended up being a complete and utter nightmare! First of all, VS didn't support a macro that gave me the path to the EXE correctly. It was no good trying to use any of the VS macros for passing the name of the application to the Authenticator, because issues became apparent across the whole Sepctrum of Visual Studio tools.

Even Microsoft couldn't provide me with a solution that was compatable for ALL versions of the development tools.

So this is why parameterised EXE paths are no longer available in the AUthenticator, and we now have the browse button.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2007 22:47
Microsoft said that?
Well i just threw together an application to test this.

Then i put the file in the tools menu and tested various configurations with the build-in VS macros.
I came up with 2 that works. But i realised what you meant by
Quote: "VS didn't support a macro that gave me the path to the EXE correctly"

Because it simply doesnt work if you change the compile destination to another place than the standard. I tried putting the compile destination on my desktop, but VS macros still suggested that my exe file was in the Bin\Debug folder.

But i dont see that as a reason to leave the option out of the authenticator, just be sure to mention it in some FAQ or something

Im sure you know, but the 2 that worked was
$(TargetDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt)
and
$(TargetPath)

Using Dark GDK.NET
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 00:52 Edited at: 18th May 2007 00:54
Ok, i got a workaround.

I made another little tool that takes two arguments. First one is the project directory, the second is the project file (*.csproj, *.vbproj, etc.).

The project file is saved as an XML file which makes it very easy to read programatically. So i simply read the path information from there.

I tested this on a couple of my projects including the one i saved on my desktop. So far it worked, but im pretty sure you could somehow get it to fail.

anyways, heres the code. Take a look and use it if you want:

This goes into the parameters box in the custom tools menu of Visual Studio (note the space):
$(ProjectDir) $(ProjectFileName)

Using Dark GDK.NET

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:14:35
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:14:35