Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Things to know about FPSC before one begins.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 22:30
Hello, although I have owned FPSC for awhile now, I never got around to using it. Mostly because I was caught up in other game creation tools and programs...

I would really like to get involved in making a quality 3D game now and have a few questions to ask before spending a lot of time learning the FPSC program.
(Note I am planning on making a freeware FPS game, and would like the style to be slightly retro like Half Life 1. Not shooting for the moon, when I say quality I mean using original content and putting effort into the overall presentation.)

Question 1:
Is it possible to add onto the functions of FPSC itself (such as adding the ability for players to customize their controls.)

Question 2:
If their are limitations to how much content the executable can hold, (Wikipedia article claims only 50 maps can be used in each executable file) can they be overcome?

Question 2:
How widespread are the bought model packs on the official website, and is their shame in using them? I want the characters in my game to be original, but if I use a few common resources I have bought like floor segments and gun models will people assume the game is poor?
I just want to make something that looks different than something that could be throw together by anyone.

I do not have talent in modeling. The most I can do is edit the textures and entity properties.

I think that is it for now, if I have more questions I will post them here. I am new to 3D programming and this forum so please forgive me if I sound inexperienced.
If you need my questions to be explained more in depth, just ask!
puppet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 01:00
1. FPSC does allow you assign different keys to player other than the typical W,A,S,D etc

2. haven't heard anything about how much the executable can hold only how much it can display at one time - if you go crazy with 20 enemies attacking you with bazookas and hand grenades in a warehouse full of dynamic crates and lights you're going o have seious frame rate problems.... and "only 50 levels"?!?! that is a LOT of levels. its about quality not quantity...at the rate I'm going it'd take me years to do 50 levels. But to answer your question: I read in the forum here somewhere someone came up with a workaround for that

3.I don't think people knock you for using the bought packs as much as they admire the original content. The easiest way to get the "original" look is through texturing and then maybe script alterations for enemies.

what makes a game is how it plays...eye candy is nice but ultimately you don't play a shooter game to sightsee - you're there to be challenged in a kill or be killed struggle!

I'm not a DUMMY...I'm a "ventriloquist figure"!
Andy Hamm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 04:08
Well I know developers can change the controls, but once it has been made into an EXE can the player edit them?

Thanks for your input on everything, I am sure that 50 maps is a lot. Probably would have no use for any more than 50, so I wont worry about that.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 15:05
You could let the player change the keys if you make an external configuration program in say VB or something like that. I've seen it being done a few times, so it's all possible.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:30:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:30:09