Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Python Plugin (anyone working on it?) IanM?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 01:13 Edited at: 21st May 2007 01:17
I just started getting into Python, and now I realised that there is no Plugin for Darkbasic Pro. I guess I should have looked it up and I would have found out that Lua is supported via a $20.00 plug-in.

I saw some old posts across the Internet, and it seemed that the best hope was IanM. I reckon that it was more time consuming, and Ian had bigger/better things to work on. I just wonder if anyone else with a comparable skill-set is working on this?

Not sure how busy IamM is, but I would just like to let him know that if he does take this on, I am sure the community would be interested in backing him. I personally would purchase a plugin if he were the one behind it. I would even consider sweetening the pot in helping to fund (albeit limited) his efforts if he chose to take this project on again. No pressure Ian.

BTW, I know we rely on you alot, and perhaps at times it seems like a thankless commitment. But I'm sure there are a lot of people who bennefit from your contributions, as well as the other generous coders around here. I'd list them, but I'm affraid I would miss someone.

My c++ skills are rusty, but I guess I could attempt something with Ian's DLL framework, and Python documentation. But I fear that if Ian ran into a roadblock, than surely there was more to it than I can foresee. Should I just abandon Python for now, and read up on Lua?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 19:27 Edited at: 21st May 2007 19:28
Sure, put the pressure on why don't you!

I will be creating a plug-in in the future for scripting, but:
- I have only ideas at the moment, none of which are set in stone.
- It will be in the future, ie when I need it - that's the only way it'll get finished.
- Chances are it won't be python. I don't know python. OTOH, that stackless python does look good ...
- It won't be like the other scripting plug-ins - learning a new language to just call the same old functions in a slower way is not a good use of scripting language.
- It'll be free anyway, like the rest of my plug-ins are.

In the short term, another alternative to LUA is Torrey's scripting plug-in - it uses the Gamemonkey script language. As far as I can see, LUA and Gamemonkey are about equivalent, except that Torrey's plug-in has a method of allowing you to call a DBPro function (it's not 'safe' by any means, but if you get it right it gives you a flexible system of working).

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 19:46
I'm making a scripting plugin. It'll take me a while to finish, but it features all programming techniques you know of in DBPro (apart from things like Goto and Gosub), plus a C-style syntax, and it'll be object oriented. It's going good, but I still have a bit to go, so don't get your hopes up quite yet, heheh.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 20:07
I thought Python wasn't favored for game scripting because it has a large memory footprint and a lot of overhead that games don't need. That's why Lua is so popular for game scripting...

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 21:14 Edited at: 21st May 2007 21:19
@IanM, Thanks, and I can respect everything you said on the issue. I appreciate your response.

@Tiresius, You might be right. I only started seriously looking into scripting for games recently. When I was researching it, the GEMS book, and a 3D engine design book both referenced Python & Lua. I'm too new at this to assert the benefits of either. Other scripting languages mentioned were; GameMonkey, & AngelScript; or methods for coding a simple yet effective proprietary scripting language/parser.

Now Python, GameMonker & Angelscript all look very similiar in syntax. The thing that seemed good about Python, was the number of resources available; books, Source-Code, modules, on-line pressence. It also seemed like a better learning investment in the industry as a stand-alone language. There lot's of info on imbedding C++ into python, or the reverse, imbedding python into C++. The only other scripting language that seemed to have as many resources is Ruby, which I couldn't confirm for Game-Scripting at all. And (web scripting/windows scripting) languages like JavaScript & VBscript/MsScript; which I consider to be aimed at completely different job than Python, Lua, GameMonke & AngelScript.

I would of liked to read up on Lua, but unfortunately at a recent stop to "Borders", they didn't have even one book on it. While Python filled two shelves. That's not the best reason to get into something, but it seemed a better gamble that day.

That was until I realized that there is no current support for DBpro and Python.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 23:04
Large memory footprint or not (which I couldn't confirm BTW), there is a lot of support for Python, and there have been games that use it ... and that stackless extension/version does have me drooling a little.

There are 105 python books on Amazon UK, as opposed to 7 for Lua and none for Gamemonkey or AngelScript. I can certainly see why you jumped straight into Python. Another embeddable language that might be possible for games is Perl (which I do know) although, if I'm honest, it's probably a little too heavy for games, but the 'book count' is way above the others.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 01:34
@IanM,

In my on-line research with regard to Python, I came across posts from numerous Programming Sites that mentioned DarkBasic. Of course I read a lot of DB bashing, but what I found interesting was the number of times you were mentioned.

I'm sure you already know, but it was obvious that you have made a mark in the coding community. You represent the DB community in a positive way. I read one post that referred to you as "The Big Brains" behind DarkBasic. Not a bad testament to your work, eh? It was motivating to see "DB-bashing threads" turn into "DB-curiosity threads".

Other people here were mentioned as well; like Rob Knight, and TDK, TCA, CattleRustler, Star Wraith (creator), the "Room" demo from the alienware compo, Lee (just to name a few). I think it's good that there are people who realize that DB coders do make a mark and they are willing to pass along that information. It speaks well for everyone's efforts here.

Just thought I'd let you know! Unless of course that was you posting about yourself under another Alias????

J/K

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:12:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:12:33