Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Render to texture, Seams on the lightmap.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 04:26
This is one for the 3ds users.
baking in some light maps on a model.

Been using 3ds max (v7) render to texture, real nice for making light maps, only problem, it goes as tight as possible to the mesh outline, so close it leaves black seams from the unused parts of the mesh, can you make it not go so close to the mesh outline, I don't want black seams around it, I spent hours painting them out and making it perfect in the diffuse, I don't want to go back and do that twice when I add a light map, is there anyway to make it leave some space around the map and not go so tight to the mesh, well its more than tight, it actually goes over the edge slightly giving me black seams.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 06:09
Gotta ask these questions on the Autodesk forums and not here man. You've been around long enough to know this.
Excerpt from a 3D Max tutorial thats supplied
Quote: "In this procedure, you will tune the Projection modifier
to eliminate those errors and get the precise
projection you are looking for.......
"
I did a search for render to texture in the Max tutorials.

I see the answer to your problem And all you have to do is follow the tutorials. They even supply the meshes to work with so you know yours should end up exactly like the tutorial. I have no idea why a Max owner would want to ask a forum full of 12 year old kids.....Knowing the old guys wont say a word.

Loc

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 08:07
Maybe because most Max copy's aren't exactly what we call."Legal",Else he had those tutorials/manual's supplied with it(Darn there are quite a few).Or maybe he has them,but couldn't be bothered to look in them?
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 08:29 Edited at: 21st May 2007 11:27
I have tons of books and tons of videos, I have an untold number of jobs to do and don't have any time at all, I have a skin pack with what must be 100 items to release for fpsc, I have publisher wanting demos from before I got into fpsc come back on the scene, a real one not what passes for one on these forums, I have 2 games to be done for SWP arcade markets to be finished off that require my overview, my own personal game project, commissions for design jobs, and on and on.

There are some people on the forum that are not all 12 year olds, in fact if you want to create a commercial game out of fpsc, good look to you, do you know really how much engines cost, at best 1000 odd USD for Torque up to 1.25 million for UE3, most engines being 50k up, your talking 100k for 2 platforms in most cases, try getting that out of a publisher if you think you can, now back to the real world, use fpsc and think out of the box. not every fpsc user here is 12 years old hobiest

I ask here as I know there are some max users, I don't think its out of the question to ask for an answer that will take 2 seconds, save me heaps of time and in the end is for something that will be given for free as soon as I get an answer to this and enjoyed by a lot of the fpsc users here.

I looked at edge padding but that didn't do zip, see here.

left is original art, after texture bake on the left, Ive messed with edge padding and got the same results as the left image, so either its not the right answer or I did it wrong

here is a nice big close up of the FREE skin that cant be released due to the render to texture problem prohibiting its release due to being messed up.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 15:12 Edited at: 21st May 2007 15:42
I think the problem lies in other areas, notice the light does not flow evenly over the model. where the seams are it lights it differently, Its either a problem with the import, I had to change from the original .x to .obj then into max.

Ill probably have to drop this, the publisher is on at me again to show him stuff, and I have to push on, fiddling with freebies is taking my time up. If anyone has got an answer to this speak up so I can shove this skin up, if not ill have to drop this to get on with my own affairs for now.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 15:41
for the seams in the smoothing, try selecting all of the vertices and hitting weld, sometimes when importing models it will split groups of polygons.

as for the texture bake, just select padding or whatever it is (cant be bothered to look) or if this isnt working, just use the clone tool (if texturing with photoshop) and paint out the edges

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
http://www.redcore3d.com
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 15:45
Thanks John, Ill try the weld later, god Im snowed under with work and have no time for anything at all, shame as I wanted to let the comunity have a little something, this past week has been mad for me and its getting worse.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I know that model. Do what Jon said, just make sure the weld threshold is at .01 or you may end up welding verts you didn't mean to. It was an airtight model when I made it, so some verts must have been broken upon import.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 17:05
Maybe we should start asking FLStudio questions around here since we need music for our games. Or codec questions since videos can be used....

What a mess this forum could be with these kinda questions and answers.

I more expected this to be locked, then spoon fed..Color me shocked.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 17:46 Edited at: 21st May 2007 18:12
Quote: "Maybe we should start asking FLStudio questions"

And maybe you should stop trolling this thread.

I notice that the model doesn't open in my copy of Deep Exploration 4, now that opens just about most file formats, it gets an error.
it says,
the file is defective
there are no objects in the file
the format version is not supported.

taking it into Delgine in .x and exporting as .x makes it readable by DE, I also ran it by Fragmotion then Milkshape to get a readable file format for max.

I have version 1 of Carrera, ill dust that off an install it, I could try that to see if it keeps it intact.

Ill try welding see if it does it

I think the mesh smoothing is at its limit with this model, I'm sure its at 180 by default.

Welding it has sorted it, Ill try to render the texture out now.
its still giving a seam from edging, the padding isnt doing a thing.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2007 18:27
Gotta love these threads.
You basically have two choices here:
1. You can get the help you need from the Autodesk forums.
2. You can e-mail Bond or Jon if they wish to help they can.

Locrian wasn't trolling.It is basically the policy on the FPSC forums if you have a question about an app to contact the developer.
I mean I wouldn't get on the Autodesk forums to ask questions about FPSC.It makes no sense.
Worst comes to worst you could have asked about this in the 3D Chat forum.
This is locked.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:31:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:31:10