Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Segments - deleting non visible faces / Optimization?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 08:24
When creating segments we used closed box shaped, but do we have to have them that way, we could use less system resources if we didn't build what we didn't see, if we are only going to see a single surface why have the other sides, if we only see one surface of a floor why build the sides and reverse side, what I want to know is, do we have to build these parts, if we cant if will be of issues of having to have no leaks in the geometry, I'm not sure how it handles its optimisation, like if it needs its geometry closed or if my idea will cause leaks as I don't know how the engine works its optimisation technique on geometry.
It would of been nice if how it handles that was in the documentation, Ive played some fpsc, and they are unplayable due to slow loading and awful frame rates, it is nice to have a game that actually plays, optimising how it runs is very important.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 10:23
Tried it a while back, and it was pretty hit and miss. In debug mode you could see the portals were a whole mess of muppetry, and collisions weren't great, plus, in the editor, it was really hard to see what was going on, because it wouldn't render backfaces.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2007 10:56 Edited at: 22nd May 2007 11:21
Thanks Butters, I see that to increase performance one could make bigger segments, rather than having a room 6x6 made from 24 wall sections, one could make a wall 600 units long, then its just 4 walls instead of 24 separate ones, I tried boxes with reversed normals a while back, that doesnt work correctly so I would advise it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 13:22:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 13:22:20