Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Confusion between Dark GDK and GDK.NET

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Today I was going to buy DarkGDK when I realised that there was two versions. Am I correct in thinking that DarkGDK is for C++ only (which covers any version such as Borland, VC6.0, Visual Studio 2005 and so on) while GDK.NET is for only either and only Visual BASIC.NET or Visual C# in Visual Studio 2003 or 2005?

I tried looking through the site but there was nothing that really clarified this for me...

Any help would be appriciated.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 18:05
the non-.net version is for C++ environments (as libs), where the .net version is a com component that you can include in .net evironments. As far as studio versions for .net I think support for vs.net 2003 is no longer offered, use any of the .net 2005 versions instead. Not sure which c++ environments are supported as I dont use c++

"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation" Prince Philip 1988
Emergence
Years of Service
User Offline
im using Sharpdvelop for GDK.net
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/
Chalkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies. Ive just finished a degree in Software Engineering and I am going to purchase Dark GDK just out of pure interest.

Since I will be wanting to use C++ I shall buy the Dark GDK version. Am I correct in thinking that the Dark GDK will work pretty much like OpenGL, where I will have to include header files into my project?

Thanks
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 22:22 Edited at: 25th May 2007 22:27
DGDK (C++) version consists of 33 (.lib) static library files which provides a NON-OOP based interface for providing the same functionality/3D Engine code you get from DarkBASIC Professional. These libs are broken down into the various modules that make up the 2D/3D/Math/Audio/Multiplayer functionality of the core engine code. It is important to realise, that DGDK is not an interface such as DirectX or OpenGL, it is a fully functional game engine that provides all the functionality necessary to create games and multimedia applications... fast!

The C++ version of the toolkit exposes standard C Style calling functions for the various modules, i.e. to set the display mode, you would use dbSetDisplayMode( screenWidth, screenHeight, bpp );

Unlike DirectX or OpenGL (more OGL specifically) in rendering a cube, is that you would use glBegin, and then render the cube face per face based on trimesh lists, or triangle fans. DGDK does all this for you internally. So you would create a cube and render it with just 3 or 4 lines of code:

Clearly, the DGDK (C++) version provides a broad and simplified interface to create programs, but it lacks the OOP aspect. This is where DGDK.NET comes in...

DGDK.NET is exactly the same product as DGDK (C++). It is the same engine code, same interface modules (as COM Interop classes in .NET) but it's implemented as a Security wrapped COM component that can only be used through Authenticated .NET applications. But the major difference is that you can use the full OOP capability of Visual Basic.NET or C#.NET.

All in all, DGDK (C++) is faster than DGDK.NET because the DGDK.NET COM component requires an additional interop layer to communicate with the .NET framework. So if you want shear speed, then C++ is probably what you're after, but if you want to use the toolkit(s) for learning... even if you're only beginning to learn C++ itself as a language, you're probably going to feel alot more comfortable using .NET in general.

I hope this clears up some of your queries, but if you need further information or assistance, just let me know.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Chalkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your reply Paul it clearled a lot. The Dark GDK for C++ is the version that I am after then.

I've had a lot of experience with C++ through university and I am more confortable and prefare it over C#. From your response I take it that the DGDK for C++ works similarly to the GLUT extension for OpenGL?

Also I take it that I can still create my own classes within C++ (e.g. a class for Player, a class for Weapons and so on) and still use the DGDK function calls within them classes?

My final question is what format is the download? Is it an .ISO image or something similar or just a set up file?

Sorry for all the questions,
Andy.
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
If you do it like I did and purchase online, then you will be downloading compressed folders which do not have a setup. All you need to do is extract them. Then in whatever development environment you choose you are going to add Include and Lib references to the Include and Lib folders you downloaded. And make sure you add the appropriate references to the Direct X SDK too.
Ianhfar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 15:48
Chalkey,
To answer your second question, yep, you can create your own player objects/ world etc, and then use the GDK to render the actors.

Ianhfar
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 20:37
And yes, I concur with the above responses.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Chalkey
Years of Service
User Offline
To everyone,

Thanks for your posts - I decided to buy the Dark GDK for C++ and im very pleased. Installation went relitively smooth and ive had a little play around and it seems really cool. Kinda like GLUT for OpenGL only with a lot more functionality and features - I dont have to draw six polygon faces just to make a cube !

Andy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:14:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:14:58