Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Kangaroo2 Sprite Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 01:41 Edited at: 23rd May 2003 01:44
All your sprite worrys are fixed thanks to this wonderous piece of kit!

Basically, it allows you to make or import and edit 2d images, and load and tree them all into animations for sprites, EG make a sprite called sonic, and an animation for walking, running, jumping spinning etc.

You can set advanced looping, repeating and reversing options, as well as setting transparancies, scaling and alpha modes for each frame, different delays for each image, and even associate sounds with each animation, then export to darkbasic or darkbasicpro code to run the sprites, including the advanced options!

An easy tool for noobies and hopefully a valuable tool to anyone making games involving sprites

Here's an early screenie, although this obviously misses out the menu bars, as it runs in a window.

If anyone can help me with converting bitmaps to jpg or any other file format that'll b v helpful, also maybe it could export to animated gif and avi too? Suggestion / feedback welcome

For anyone wondering about the other parts of Kangaroo2 Studio, this will intergrate with an art package also, a cheap psp style art editor, plus seamless texture generator, and many other things I'm not yet allowed to talk about. Many of them will be of use to DB and DBP users tho, and all free or heavily discounted to forum users

Cheers, Sam / Kangaroo2

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 02:14
wow man thats awesome! major kudos!!!

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 02:52
File despatched via email with .jpg solution for you.

The editor looks nice

Pneumatic Dryll
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 07:12
it looks nice! is there any onion skinning features and cell comparisons for a cell each side of the one your working on?

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:14
Hexgear: Thanks!
Pneu: Thank you, thats v useful, I'll include a credit for ya
Indi: Thanks! Absolutely, many forms of layers and frame comparissons are in there

Any1 got any ideas about exporting to animated gifs? I know nothing about gif compression and the animation form. I'm pretty sure it only saves the pixels of the frame that have changed? That could be complex but possible

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:25
gifs come in two varieties.

gif 87 these puppys dont have a colour reserved for the alpha channel.
gif 89a these puppys are assigned a colour in the colour pallete for an alpha channel.

A CP is a websafe series of colours max 255 in either a range of bits or a colour amount / spectrum or a defined set of colours to repesent all the colours used int he animation.

I think you will find that gifs dont not just create the cells but also retain a timer between displaying each cell.

a regular file format site would yield results on the commercially driven compuserve gif format.

You might like to explore your own format internally working with memblocks or textual output data to save the maximum amount of space for games and the program

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:27
the other part i didnt mention is to simple paint one cell ontop of each other can produce an animation.

this would only apply to areas where parts of the image on cell one are completely covered with the new animation area.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:34
Thanks 4 the info, I'll look into it

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:47
no probs, thats pretty basic info you will be a lot more clued in when u get access to the file format.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 12:58
If you intend to release the software with .GIF support or another form of LZW algorythmic compression you should adhere to the Compuserve license agreement and pay out $1.50 + 1.5% royalties of your product.

However there is light at the end of the tunnel, because the original Unisys patent (U.S. Patent 4,558,302) runs out on June 19, 2003, at midnight US Eastern Standard Time.

Yay freedom!

Pneumatic Dryll
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 13:07
lol yay!

Hm any royaltys would stifle it being free, maybe it could be included as a feature in the full art package (which people do pay for, if only a small ammount ) as a plugin or something - Oh well its not too important, its mostly for sprites in my own format (of such) anyways

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 13:34
Someone should make a PNG to BMP converter, it would be very usefull after all..

Always has, never will
sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 13:49
it would be really easy to do a no-frills converter in db, just load up your png and save it as a bmp (by copying and pasting from it etc.)
you could make it even simpler by using the command line tool so that you just specify the png file, and it outputs it as a bmp of the same name

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 15:11
Yes, perfectly feasible from within DBPro or enhanced

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 15:33
"Someone should make a PNG to BMP converter, it would be very usefull after all."

Drag the PNG onto Internet Explorer.
Right-Click - Save Image As - change format to BMP.

Voila.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 18:59
This looks ACE. I don’t have any animation software, so I’ll definitely check this out.
Looks really cool. Well done.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 16:12
Thank you! Expect it in around a month, with some more titles at the same time

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 18:58
Look forward to it.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 21:28
hey m8 if u want to use this for something just say ill raster a 2d image for you or give u an eps.

http://www.lunarpixel.com/temp/roo2.swf

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 04:57
pretty cool ... i think that the Kangeroo should actually be like in the shape of the 2 though (^_^)

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 16:48
Hehe thanks Indi, hes kinda cute, I'm making him my new avatar now

Unf it looks like the actual finishing products may have to have a different name as I'm having usage issues with Kangaroo2.com Oh well it was fun while it lasted Good job I've got loads of other domains I can use

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 17:14
test

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, they got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses, & what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 17:16
yeuch *tries again*

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 23:00
hehe no worries yell out if u want a vector format for other print or image requirements

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 23:28 Edited at: 27th May 2003 23:34
If you could email it in flash (4) format to samjones@kangaroo2.com that'd be cool, thank you

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 23:42
lmao... because they don't say anything Sam

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 00:00
very very

a suggestion:

morphing from one frame to the other using manually placed nodes

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 05:28
Done, sent, FLA,SWF and eps attached so you should be able to open at least one of them for rastering a bitmap at any size.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 00:06
Raven - lmao
Fluff - Thanks Yes, that is a possible addition in the future, its certainly something I could do with time. For the minute tho transformations will just transfade
Indi - yup, got em, thanks dude, hes really cool

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 09:42
a method "D....." uses is to work in half the amount of frames required

Within each real frame is a frame with 50% of the two frames either side.

It can save a tonne of time and is another method of aniamtion.

Other cheap effects consist of still drawings and a lot of camera work to achieve the animation, as well as mini looped animations with big camera pans etc..

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 02:03
Yes, I have a few ideas for "cheap" effects Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:39:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:39:32