Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Star Wars Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 03:21
@ OC: He can't sell it, the whole game is one big Lucas Arts(c) Trademark!! lol!

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 04:24
OH, forgot... But I can't host demo on Filefront right tobi453?

Click here to see my showcase.
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 23:20 Edited at: 19th Nov 2007 14:47
Are you guys going to fix the download? It says it is corrupt, and i would like to try this game out.

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 05:58
OP? I'm asking tobi453...

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
@Orrion Carn: Why do you want to host it on filefront? Rapidshare is sufficient in my opinion.

Btw, my brother made two new models, the Nebulon B Frigate and the B-Wing:

So there will definitely be a mission about the final battle over endor with lots of tiefighters, xwings, capital ships, stardestroyers and more.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 22:29
tobi453:
If it wasn't for the flatness and the lack of shadows that last shot would be very nice. I love the ships

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2007 23:24 Edited at: 21st Nov 2007 23:43
Nice pic...

The people I would host this demo for are very impatient. They won't want to wait over 5 minutes to 2 hours... I had trouble when I first wanted to download it a month ago... It was 3 hours long. So, if you would give me permission to host it... I would give you the download link for anyone who want to download it on File-front... I think if you let me do this... It will give you more downloads once the final version is released...

The site I'm hosting it on Filefront for has over 500,000 members... Over 20 on at any given moment... And over 300 every week... So, I would recommend it if I was in your shoes... But, It's your decision...

Still, your word over mine... If you don't want me to do it... I will understand...

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 17:36
Um, hello? The download doesn't work for me! Could you upload it somewhere else maybe?

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 18:31
Yeah, that's why... I was doing it for the people here who aren't able to download it and the people at the star wars forum... I would say now, this would be a GREAT hit at there site.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 19:53
Yes, it most likely would be...

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, you have persuaded me. If you want you can upload it to filefront.

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 21:34 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2007 22:03
Thank you... I will post the link here when it's done. I will also let you know of what they think of it once it's released.

Edit: Here's the new download link: http://files.filefront.com/StarWarsGamerar/;9101820;/fileinfo.html

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 06:53 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 06:57
One question... You do know that George Lucas is one of the most litigious people on the planet right? He actually tried to sue the makers of Battlestar Galactica (the original one from the 70s) over them using similar camera techniques to Star Wars?

Being a fan is great and all, but I can actually foresee Lucas throwing lawyers at you. Then you'll get to wondering how he can be such a jerk because all you're doing is expressing your love for Star Wars.

He won't care that you're not selling it. What he'll care about is that this game is both publicly availible and it isn't authorized.

I'm not saying to stop making this game, I'm saying that this won't end pretty.

Rashness is the characteristic of youth, prudence that of mellowed age, and discretion the better part of valor.
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Lucy, I really hope you are wrong. Would be a shame if Lucas sued someone because of something like this.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 11:44
As long as this game stays in TGC forums and doesn't get extremly advertise.. Lucas has less chance to hear about it! To be honest if id be him id personally talk to the boys about their creation, and helping them out! They are doing something that Lucas Arts were doing in the 90 with rogue squadron!

Guys go on! The game is great!

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:19
SO, I have to remove it from the forum I posted it in?

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 00:47 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 00:48
http://www.bruneras.com

Lucy, are you sure? This guy has no problems whatsoever.

Or what about those games on http://www.theforce.net?

I seriously doubt Lucas Arts would sue.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 04:55
Well, he has been known to get uppity about it from time to time.

Rashness is the characteristic of youth, prudence that of mellowed age, and discretion the better part of valor.
Ownage
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you still making this?
Either way i'm sure a lot of people could learn from your code, could you post it ....... please.
Ownage
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you still working on this, i sure hope you are because this looks great!

Could you please upload the source code for this because many people would learn from it.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I just want to let you know that I'm still working on the game. I hadn't much time to work on the game in january but I will continue working on it in about two weeks.

Here are two new screens:

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 22:06
Amazing game, I'm very impressed at it's professional look and smoothness. Excellent job on this! Graphically impressive and great gameplay.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 23:10
Just played the demo and I'm pretty impressed. The mouse sensitivity did bug me a bit though, in a game like this you need really smooth control of your ship. Apart from that, well done.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 04:14
If you were really worried about someone suing you, you could just change the models and come up with a new name. Then your game would become just some space fighter game, with no connection to Star Wars.

Great game, by the way. I played the demo a while ago, I like it!

Powered by Box2D Physics. Thanks Diggsey!
avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
This is amazing its easily the most impressive thing I've seen anyone make with Darkbasic

"You are in a video game, Max" funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing i could think of.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 15:59
Actually it's made in GDK, from the first post.

And I think Soulhunter could give it a run for its money.

Powered by Box2D Physics. Thanks Diggsey!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 16:46
This game, Dream, Geisha House, Final Exodus, Evochron Renegades and Soulhunter are pretty much the best (upcoming) games in TGC history... I'm so sad that Soulhunter is reachin a premature end of the dev-cycle, but I salute zzz for just pushing through till he has at least a satisfactory ending for the game.

This one, I'm watching it...

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 19:53
But Im sure that people want to be interesting in see the code

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Henriksen,

the code is a mixture of german and english, you wouldn't understand anything.

Btw, the fifth mission will be the final mission. When the fifth mission is finished, I will code a new main menu and fix a few bugs and afterwards I will upload the final game.

Here's the loading screen of the final mission:

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 21:13
Good to see your still working on this, and, YEAH SPACE COMBAT!!! lol.

A Tea Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 01:53
wow this looks incredible

Because i gots more badges then you...
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 04:39
Looks good. Keep up the good work!

3700+ Athlon 64 - Geforce 7600 GS - 2GbDDR2 RAM - 40Gb Hdd (In this pc) - Windows Vista Ultimate (x86)
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 08:12
Very cool. 5 missions is decent, seeing as you're not going to sell it.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Mission 4 and 5 are now 95% complete. If all goes well, the final version will be released by the end of this week.

Maybe some of you would like to see more missions, but it requires a lot of work to create only one single mission. Although I use my one map editor, all non-static objects in the game have to be manually set in the mission config file. Then there are the cutscenes, artificially intelligence, waypoints, etc... There's no syntax control for the textfile. If I write something wrong and run the game, the game may either crash or there's some weird logically problem that is very difficult to track down.
Actually most of the past months I didn't programm, but instead was designing all the missions.

Before this game, I've also programmed some other games, for example a freelancer-like game or a battlefield-like game or a homeworld2-like game, but I have lost interest/motivation to develop them further. And although the programming of the freelancer-like game was 75% complete the game lacked content. None of these games I have ever released, because there was no much content to show. If want see screens of these older games, I can post some, but at the moment I have no intention to develop them any further.

After that I decided to develop this starwars game. And actually the coding went very well. I reused at least 50% of the code of my older games and added new effects, improved speed and artificially intelligence. My brother made all the models and images.

There are many WIP games in this forum, but only a few of them will ever be finished. Everybody who develops a game knows that it becomes increasingly difficult to keep up the motivation. Therefore I decided to end this project.

But of course I will program another game. It will be something I've never tried before, an action-adventure.

BTW here are two new screens:

Some features of the game that were not included in the demo:
- you can give commands to your wingmen (fly in formation, point at a target and order your wingmen to attack it^^)
- two new missions
- friendly units are now much more active and attack the enemy
- improved graphics
- fight against two star destroyers^^
- much more...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2008 12:38
Congratulations to you and your brother, tobi, for seeing it through . I can't wait to see and play the final version.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks tha_rami.

BTW: You can now shoot down enemy fighters more easily with missiles, because the missile "knows" where the collision with the fighter will be and the rocket doesn't aim at the fighter itself but instead at the collision point. It looks very cool.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work tobi451. Keep it up!

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 15:42 Edited at: 8th Feb 2008 15:44
The final version is here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/90150171/StarWarsGame.rar.html

If the game doesn't run, it could be that you don't have d3dx9_35.dll in your system32-directory. If this is the case, you have to download the newest version of DirectX9.0c.

You should also read the readme file.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 15:49
Yippee!