Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 3D World Studio in FPSC is there any major advantages?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been contemplating buying 3D World Studio, having watched the video on YouTube and having seen the tutorials on here, but I was wondering if it actually makes the game creating experience any easier? Or does it do anything to help with the final product (such as better frame-rate or smaller file size)? As from a lot of the creations I've seen, it appears that I could do the same with 3DS Max and also some of the products available around here?
Any comments would be appreciated - Thanks!
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2007 00:25 Edited at: 4th Jun 2007 00:25
It's a great program, I can't stress that enough. I haven't seen any bad frame-rates yet, It runs quite smooth. File size is something I have to check on, but I don't think it is affected that much.

It's a considerable amount cheaper than 3ds Max which you probably know, and even though 3ds max can create better maps, 3DWS is much easier to use and in my opinion has all the options you need anyway.

A great add-on to it is it's terrain editor too, It lets you create some brilliant landscapes, I made a castle landscape not long ago, it looked brilliant.

I do strongly suggest that you should get it, the results you can get are incredible, I get good effects by just improvising. Hope that helped.
IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 17:12
How do you actually use 3DWS for/with FPSC. Do you export the map from 3DWS into a particular format? What would be the procedure for doing this? Is there a tutorial?

Many thanks.....

Good judgment comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience comes from bad judgment.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 21:18
Just export the map as a .x or .dbo file, then if you want good collision you set it up as a segment using segment creator.
IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 11:09
Excellent, many thanks. I'll give it a go. Are there any special parameters that need to be set when exporting to .x format?

Good judgment comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience comes from bad judgment.
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the reply Vorconan, I will probably invest in this then. IT Guru if you search around the Forums, there are some tutorials for getting 3DWS into FPSC.
IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 15:40
@muggins magik

Thanks, i'll have a look around.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 19:14
Quote: "Excellent, many thanks. I'll give it a go. Are there any special parameters that need to be set when exporting to .x format?"

Nope just type in the filename and save as .x
IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 12:09
Superb, that makes it easy. Yep i'll be investing in this - got a few levels that i'm having major pains with, this will help no end.

Cheers Guys, 10 virtual pints coming your way - but don't forget to drink responsibly.

IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 12:12
BTW,

I'll let you know how I get on and let you have some info regarding file size, build issues etc. I'm Using 1.04 RC10 and 1.05 RC1 for builds at the moment and looking at doing some tests on 1.05 RC2 for stability.

I'll keep you all informed of what i find.

Have a good weekend everyone....

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 10:47
well....u got 1.06 RC1 to play with now so maybe test that as well

IT Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 16:45
Yep spoilt for choice at the moment.......

I downloaded 1.05 RC2 a week or so ago (have not had time to install though), maybe I should just jump to 1.06 RC1 - bit worried about stability though - this would impact on testing being done on two titles if I there are some major problems. Bit nervous about updating my 1.04 RC10 setup..... Any comments?

Still I now have my 3DWS license key now so I can, as you say, do both.

Here's to some very late nights/early mornings of productivity!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 15:16:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 15:16:11