Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Simulating a bloom effect with decals?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 20:50
Since FPSC does not have the ability to produce a full-screen bloom effect, could you instead use decals to simulate it? For example, a decal with a bright circle that slowly fades out could be put next to an object, and since decals are essentially plains that face the camera the entire time, could this "pseudo-bloom" work? I'll try it out, but if there is an easier way to simulate the effect, please post your ideas.

Practice makes perfect. But if nobody is perfect, why practice?
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 21:41
Actually, there is already a bloom in DBP. With some source editing you could add in bloom and instancing too.

---PlasmaArts---
www.plasmaarts.co.nr - www.plasmaarts-games.co.nr
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 21:45
I would expect lag though. Instancing would be great, but if I remember rightly, in DBP if you instance an object only some of the original object's properties are used or something like that anyway. This would mean only static entities could be instanced properly, but I only assume this because I bet Lee had that thought in mind while working on FPSC, so he would of implanted it by now if there is a good way around it, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next update, sounds like a good one.
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 21:50
Quote: "Actually, there is already a bloom in DBP. With some source editing you could add in bloom and instancing too.
"

Yes, but bloom in DBP is hard enough without trying to implement it into FPSC. My way would be faster and easier, although it may not look as great. My way also doesn't require actual shaders and thus eliminates the possiblity that users will not be able to run the game.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
In order for anyone to adjust the latest source code they would have to have the latest source code. It has not been released yet. If you want to work with the last source release, that is possible but then your updates to the code would be obsolete when the next version comes out. Then you would have to do then it all over again to make them work in the most current version.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 22:46
Right, but I'm not actually editing the source code.

I'm merely saying that if a decal with a transparent texture of a faded circle were placed, would it look like bloom/HDR shader had been used? I would think yes.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 22:52
You can allways give it a shot,no one has tried so as i remember.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 02:21
I don't think it would produce anything near a bloom or hdr effect,mainly because bloom makes it so light is emitted over the other objects even it the light is behind an object. Like,the light bends around some of the object. If you could produce something like this with decals,that'd definately be amazing,but somehow I doubt you could.

Hello
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I say get as close as you can. Thats the best that can be done with FPSC. One day FPSC might have all the toys of the pro engines or at least half.

Well, it could happen.

Untill then we have to do what we have always done. We find alternate methods and work arounds. Its time consuming and frustrating and makes people post threads in the forum about how FPSC should already be able to do this and that. Then the threads get locked because it upset someone that had the power to lock it. Then the person that locked the thread tells the creator of the thread that if they dont like it they can buy DBPro and fix the source code or use something else. Its a cycle that will continue untill it stops. I have seen it happen over and over.

That is the way of things.

FPSC is getting better. Not there yet but moving in the right direction.

I am thinking bloom is a possible future thing.

(NOTE: This post is on topic and is pro FPSC)

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 20:39
look for a bloom cheat, I remember someone had done it in ut4k, it used a cheat im sure, people have often faked the look of something, cliffie b in his blog remarks on this also, if you can fake an effect then do that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 15:23:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 15:23:42