Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / 2007 Text Adventure Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 17:55
Quote: "I'm wondering if Kiwi knows that he won the event, he hasn't responded to my email yet and hasn't posted on the thread since I announced the winners."

Hehe, don't worry, I've been visiting friends this weekend and only just got back, lol! I checked my email and five seconds later I had a big, happy smile on my face.

I'll email you back in a few minutes, Matt Rock, no worries there. Thanks everyone - Duality was fun to think up, write and make and it's nice to get a prize too! It's also great that everyone won a prize: all entries were good.

The media rule thingy is moving in the right direction, I think: the "no media" rule worked out great for me, since Duality was built on a foundation of the plot and the writing, but it'd be nice to see other, less conventional takes on what a "text-adventure" can be.

Thanks again!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 19:47
Try to get TGC to make a Competition Board under Showcase.

I think one reason the turn out is so low is that maybe the non GDT readers didnt know about the competition. (wasnt in the newsletter?). If most users browse their favorite boards, chances are low that they will notice the competition. (of course, ruling out those who dont care)

If there is a central place for these types of competitions, semi (as in non tgc run) or official, then everyone will eventual learn to look there for the latest updates.

On the new board, I envision we users cannot create new threads, but can post responses to the threads that are listed. And each competition would have it's own thread.
Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 20:02
I remember playing Adeventure before Zork hit hit the store selves. So to me, Text Adventure means Zork clone. But ASCII art has it's place: Rogue clones.

So, would having seperate competition that allowed for ASCII art help? And even have a Point and Click competition? After that, the lost art form of old school interactive story telling becomes more of what we call normal games today.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2007 21:12
Quote: "I think one reason the turn out is so low is that maybe the non GDT readers didnt know about the competition. (wasnt in the newsletter?). If most users browse their favorite boards, chances are low that they will notice the competition. (of course, ruling out those who dont care)"

It was posted in the newsletter back in July (or maybe June... quite some time ago) and we had a pre-competition thread in Geek Culture, but I think the competition started so long ago that some people had forgotten about it, even with Gaming Colosseum and I promoting it for the past few months. But last year we had a really good turn-out. I think the 2007 rules were just far too complicated, especially in comparison with the more lax 2006 rules. So many people were into the competition during the summer, and many had started their entries as well, but I think those two factors (people forgetting about it and the rules being too complex) were key factors in this year's lower turn-out.

Quote: "If there is a central place for these types of competitions, semi (as in non tgc run) or official, then everyone will eventual learn to look there for the latest updates.

On the new board, I envision we users cannot create new threads, but can post responses to the threads that are listed. And each competition would have it's own thread."

I do like that idea, and it's probably worth starting a thread about. I don't know how I feel about users not being able to create threads though. I'm not a moderator and I'm not employed by TGC, and if I were, it would probably eat up just enough of my time that I wouldn't be able to host this competition. I very much like the idea of having normal TGC members holding competitions, even ones that don't offer prizes, because they challenge people with friendly competition and can really bring out the best of their design and development capabilities. Also, such a board would provide a centralized location for people to share their entries and ask for advice... sort of like a specialized WIP and Program Announcements board exclusively for competitions. In those respects, if such a board were made, I'd beg and plead that normal members could post their own threads, hosting or at least related to competitions .

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 05:46
I thought the rules this year were less restrictive than last years. I remember you started last year out with "no media" whatso ever, and worded them like we couldnt include the game text in extra files. This year I thought you explained yourself rather well on what is media. But I was thinking you had to know the debate from last years competition to understand them.

I felt that the this years HUD debate was more of the lack of understanding when Zork was the best text game out there with its lack of useless information. It gave you the facts, then didnt confuse you by redisplaying them unless you wanted to see them again. Although I'd have to say a well organized screen does make a great read. Several commercial text games did that in the later years ( A star trek adventure comes to mind). Even colored text would be helpful.

You also gave us more time this year to complete our entry.

Well, dont rule out the prizes either. Last year I didnt enter cause I didnt care for any of the prizes. This year I considered entering, but I dont use DarkBasic any more, I'm a GDK man, so owning dbp products wont give me any advantages. I still would have entered for the kudos but work got in the way.

And another thing, where did you list the Judges? I like to know who this panel of my peers are. Although I dont think it would affect what I turn in, I'd still like to know a little about who is judging my work.
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 21:20
I don't know if this was asked, but is there going to be a new thread with all of the entires in it or do we have to track them down all on our own?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 22:44
Yikes, good point Argon, I didn't list the judges! I thought I did that in the first post but apparently it slipped my mind... sorry everyone! The judges this year were myself, Gaming Colosseum, and Colin from MISoft, who worked on EE1 and is currently developing the proprietary engine for EE2. Another forum member was interested in judging this year but I couldn't reach them via email, so I asked Colin to help out. Next year, I'm thinking about asking a few mods to help judge, or better still, it would be awesome if Lee or Rick from TGC could judge entries, but with all of the DX10 stuff going on I highly doubt they'd have that sort of free time.

Quote: "I don't know if this was asked, but is there going to be a new thread with all of the entires in it or do we have to track them down all on our own?"

I hadn't thought about that, it's good that you brought it up. I'll dig them all up later and put links to them in a new post to this thread, if that works. I should have done a "Winner's Circle" thread like I did last year, but I figured with so few entries a whole second thread might have been redundant. Bad call on my part, hehe.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 23:32
I helped.

Lol maybe make the winners at the top of the list and list them score wise after that, or random to not make anyone look bad.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 08:25 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 22:55
Congrats to all of the participants and epically the winner Darth Kiwi. Your PlayBASIC prize has been issued. Have fun.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 20:03
I just received my prizes - yay! Thanks again to all the people who helped run the competition, and to everyone who liked Duality

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:14:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:14:35