Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Some Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 23:41
1: Does c# compile into machine code or is it interpreted?
2: Is darkGDK.net compatible with XNA like TorqueX?
3: How similar is the GDK code compared to darkbasic code (C# or C++)? Will the darkbasic books help me at all?

Thanks.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 00:14
I think C# is CLR based - so - I know its not the same as compiling to assembly. It may be the lange from - language to layer before a true compile - so Microsoft only has to write one potentially machine specific Source Code to Machine code "compiler/Linker" ... It MAY be interpreted. This probably didn't help you did it?

3: I can help more here - The DarkGDK API is almost identical to Dark Basic name wise and parameter wise - this is a major reason I bought it. Leverage what you already know. I've read a few "bugs" but its seems from what I've read that the TGC are doing what they can to support the product both in fixes and making other stuff they sell work with DarkGDK.

Best REgards,
Jason P Sage

Know way too many languages - Master of none
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 02:08
npsken

1. C# compiles into MSIL or intermediate code which is very much like byte code. But when you actually run the program, a process known as JIT or Just In Time compiling, compiles the MSIL into native machine language code. So technically, the programs are compiled. There is a very small drop in performance when compiling into Native as the program runs, but this is rarely noticable on high performance processors.

2. DarkGDK.NET is a COM interop library, and therefore compatable with all of the .NET language flavours. XNA is basically DX on top of .NET, so technically speaking, you could probably call the DarkGDK.NET functions from an application that also calls XNA, but I cannot truely say whether this is accurate. I've not even touched XNA.

Paul.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 02:20
@APEXnow - So you are saying that there is a possiblity to utilize DarkGDK from other tools besides Microsoft's Development tools providing the tool at hand can utilize the .Net calling conventions?

If so - maybe I can utilize FreePascal Afterall! (It's more powerful than most people are aware of.)

Hmm... wonder if (as much as I like Raw speed) I should have grabbed the .net version of GDK ...hmm... Well, I'm happy for now. C++ is better for games IMHO then interpreted byte code.

Best Regards,
Jason P Sage

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 02:29
Jason,

Quote: "interpreted byte code"

.NET isn't interpreted as such, since MSIL is compiled into Native code when you actually run your .NET applications. C++ does obviously have the upper hand, but you'll be supprised at how fast applications can be developed using .NET without all the hassle potential memory leaks and stuff with C++. Also, DGDK.NET applications lack all of the problems that people get when trying to link when libraries are incorrectly configured. Tis one of the reasons why DGDK.NET was initially developed.

Paul.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 03:05
So I probably need to buy the .Net version if I want to spend less time wrestling with config issue - and prefer adding a reference and start cranking code in Microsoft Language of choice then?

I'm ultimately trying to find a balance of rapid application development and run time speed. Having a nicer semantic and classes etc available is what I'm after. Even if I'm poking around and not creating my own source lib right off - I only want to learn what I'll be using for the long haul.

(Though why they call it Rapid I'll never know..its never been "rapid development" as long as I've been programming 25+ years now).

Thanks for the info you guys here at these forums have been swell.
Jason P Sage

npsken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 05:31
So if darkGDK is compatible with XNA, that means people can now use the dark engine on the xbox 360, correct?

Daggeth
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So if darkGDK is compatible with XNA, that means people can now use the dark engine on the xbox 360, correct?"

False. DarkGDK isn't written with XNA routines.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:20:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:20:00