Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / C++ conversion.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As most of you know this has been done for the C# version. Not sure if any one has attempted this on the c++ version or not, but my team has...

GDK has a great syntax but its lacking the class like feel. example..

void dbLoadMesh ( char* szFilename, int iMesh )
or
dbLoadMesh (( "media\\Warehouse\\basic_room.X");

could also be done like.

Object ship;
ship.load( "media\\Warehouse\\basic_room.X");

if the object was a class including the dbLoadMesh

Well we have created the H file and the CPP file.. to do just that.

H file.

CPP file.

This is not complete but very usable. To work with the old style there is a getID function.

We have also made a camera object.. IF there is enough interest here Ill continue to post updates. If there is a enough interest we can create a SVN and make it a group project.

ENJOY!
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 18:20
Hi unitech,

I'm glad to hear you have a team trying to do this kind of conversion. As you may know, I'm the developer of the .NET version, called LightEngine.

I've wanted to do a C++ version too, but I then I come to two problems:
1st - I don't own the C++ version of DarkGDK atm (nor do I have the money, still trying to get some to upgrade to commercial DGDK.NET).
2nd - It's just me! Trying to make 2 versions for 2 different languages would be too much work for one person.

But if the team has enough people, and everybody is really interested, then WOW! That will be fast, because it's not a complicated task, just a lot of work.

If you want, you may contact me for some tips or ideas. I'll be very glad to help on anything I can.

Best regards,
Thiago
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great, I may run it to a few questions.

Maybe we could combine using a #ifdef to determine ++ vrs #.

Oh btw, when I say team it's just two of us so it's a build as we go type of deal.. Fortunately it works with the darkGDK syntax so we are not losing any major time..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:50