Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Version 1.1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 13:30
How the hell did you arrive at those numbers! What possible logical sequence is there? I assume there 'is' a sequence judging by the 'and so on...' phrase.

So no more lives between 117,187 and 292,967. That's a challenge I'm willing to take on!

Gronda, Gronda
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 15:01
It's a simple formula designed to give a reasonable amount of new lives near the beginning but deprive you of them later when the action gets frantic.

Here's the formula from the program.

Pneumatic Dryll
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 15:46
Now I get it!

Me with my 'A' level maths and could not even see such a simple pattern. Doh.

I finally got through all the levels by the way. Just loops back to level 1. Did not last long enough to see if things were different or faster.

I think I'm gonna take a rest for a while until someone comes close to my score (not likely I know!).

Gronda, Gronda
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 06:52
This sounds seriously cool. I love asteroids. I don't know why I didn't download it before. I was about to download it until I read
Quote: "I may also be including some passive revenge code (creating huge hidden files etc) and possibly some spyware to sniff out and make public the details of any players who post obsenities such as IP#, user and computer name, tracert, ISP, email address etc. - legalities pending."

So now there's spyware in your program? I think I misunderstood. Did you really do that? Now I'm afraid to download it.

Anyway, really cool. Sonic, I hope you enjoy your spot as top score. joking

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 20:21
I didn't include anything like that in the end - I was very annoyed that somebody took the time to deface the hiscore service and when I first descovered it I very much felt like writting 'some sloppy code', but I calmed down after an hour or so.

Pneumatic Dryll
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 20:24 Edited at: 20th Jun 2003 20:25
Ok. Awsome. No problem. Download. 18 megs?? This will take a while...

Click Here!!!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 20:32 Edited at: 20th Jun 2003 20:52
Ok got it. Installing...

Wow... Awsome

The only problem is it is so slow. I only get 16 FPS.

900MHz AMD Athlon NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT 128MB

And the ship could be a bit bigger.

Click Here!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 01:26
The game should not run that slowly. I get 450fps here.

There are two major factors to the speed of the gameplay though - firstly set your desktop resolution to 1024x768x16. This is the resolution of the game and will meen that it no longer has to stretch and adapt to your desktop resolution.

Secondly if speed persists to be an issue then disable the backdrops as this will meen a huge area of the screen is no longer being blitted every refresh.

Pneumatic Dryll
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 00:38 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2003 00:41
184265 – that’s a great score, Sonic, but 193590 is better!
Cya

Asteroids name: Snaggletooth
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 02:16
Well done. Suppose I'll have to start playing again. I was hoping for a rest! I could have got a much higher score on that last game as I still had three lives after looping back to level 1 but got disturbed by phone ringing. If only there was a pause button...

Gronda, Gronda
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 04:05
Holy smegg.

Pneumatic Dryll
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 06:33
Yeah, defiantly need that pause option - I nearly wet myself.

I forced myself to calm down and take out a few asteroids at a time. It was extremely hard for me, as I prefer to blast everything in sight. It’s way more exiting that way.

Getting through the last of the red turret-mounted rock levels has always been my problem. I still lost 2 lives doing it, but this time I had enough to continue.

The funny thing was, when I looped back to the beginning and realised I could actually beat you (and I hadn’t realised you’d upped you score further) I nearly lost it! For a brief period my hand-eye co-ordination went out the window! It was just lucky nothing hit me. Oh, and I restarted the game with one and a bit lives.

I’ll expect a 200000+ score from you soon

Quote: "Holy smegg."

lol Holy smegg indeed
Awesome game dude!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 16:33
That level with the red rock turrets and the normal rocks is very hard. You have to keep moving otherwise the turrets get you every shot but also avoid the normal rocks AND the inevitable shooting baddie that appears!

My tactic on most levels is to clear whole level except one rock and then just wait until a bonus appears. If it is a rubbish bonus then just keep waiting. Pray for the quad missile bonus, shoot the last rock and then you still have a long time on following level to clear up.

200,000+ here I come! Trouble is it's 29 degrees in London and I really can't be bothered. Would rather veg out. Maybe in next few days.

Pity there is noone else to take us on and provide a real challenge.

Gronda, Gronda
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 16:39 Edited at: 27th Jun 2003 16:40
Check out that score Earthling / Snaggletooth!!!!

Had a day off today and thought I'd have a quick couple of goes.

Don't do drugs kids. There is a time and place for everything. It's called college.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 18:59
Great score! Well done.
I don’t have much time to play at the moment - I’m busy making a module for the next release of MatEdit. Maybe ill try and squeeze in a few games.
Anyway, well done. That will be VERY tough to beat. Please, please, please don’t up it any further! lol

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 20:15
How do you view the netscore scores? It dosen't work for me.

Click Here!!!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 20:34
At main menu on game, click on syncronise netscore and it will merge you current highscore table with global one on the net. You can then view these on your pc. The catch is that you must be connected to the net before you load up asteroids. Most people currently playing have ADSL or BROADBAND and so are connected all the time.

Hope that helps.

Don't do drugs kids. There is a time and place for everything. It's called college.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 21:13
Yeah, the netscore actually works. I have cable. It connects and retrieves scores, but when I click on High Scores, it does nothing. Just a blank screen with the words "High Scores" at the top.

Click Here!!!
NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2003 21:25
Blimey, I helped write the game but I can no longer get anywhere near the Hiscore. Prehaps I should stick to writing games instead of playing them. Have fun guys.

Nick Igoe

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:54:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:54:03